Feature Requests

Here’s a thread for changes we’d like to see made to the board that might not warrant their own thread.

I’ll start; can we get the spoiler tag plugin?

8 Likes

That one was installed yesterday.

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/it-related-stuff/39/33

12 Likes

Wow, that was a space-time-bendingly fast response!

I tried to use it yesterday and it wasn’t working - must have been before it was installed. Thanks!

9 Likes

I also installed the cakeday plugin and Sam’s blog plugin at the same time.

I assume we’ll see evidence of cake on someone’s birthday(?) or in approximately one year, whichever comes first.

I have no clue how Sam’s blog works. There doesn’t appear to be any documentation, so I’ll likely have to dig into the source to try and figure that out.

Those are the only ones I’ve added so far.

There’s an Amazon affiliate link plugin that looks promising, if we modify it to replace all Amazon links with Amazon Smile links.

There’s also a Patreon plugin that lets you link Discourse in interesting ways. I was thinking along the lines of awarding a badge (something like Supporter) to anyone who contributes.

12 Likes

Confirmed:

It’s not really my birthday. :wink:

8 Likes

1 down 365 to go.

what never heard of leap years?

2 Likes

Yay for Cakeday, but I’m not seeing anywhere in my Preferences to set my birthday. Is it because I’m on my phone?

2 Likes

Should be “Date of Birth,” under “Other,” above “Categories.”

It’s showing up on desktop for me, but I am currently unable to check mobile.

Edit: Never mind, I am able to check mobile, and it’s showing up there for me too.

4 Likes

Ok, got it now. Plus I’m suddenly seeing the ability to set my own birthday in my profile, and I swear I didn’t see it there before. Awesome!

3 Likes

¯\(ツ)

Hey, it could have been User Malfunction Error. I’m glad it’s good now. :joy:

1 Like

I’m having trouble with a feature that’s supposed to work, but rarely does on mobile. At the other joint, I’m used to having to highlight to quote a few times before the quote button pops up, but for some reason, here it often takes like 10x as many tries.

Weird, and frustrating. Looks like a tough nut to crack, given the intermittent nature…

5 Likes

What browser/OS?

Have you tried the mobile app? I’m using it, and the quote button appears on the first try.

Also, are you quoting before starting a reply, or after. I’m not sure it would make any difference, but I’ve seen other cases in Discourse where that may be significant.

I don’t expect it’s performance related, but I’m running on pretty low spec hardware, so it may improve as we scale up.

3 Likes

Opera on Android. I’m trying to quote without hitting reply first. Reasonably beefy phone.

ETA: weird, I just tried hitting reply first then highlighting to no avail, but then after I cancelled the reply, the quote button popped up next to the highlighted text. I tried that a couple more times, and then after that, selecting text made the quote button pop up like clockwork, every time.

Somehow seems to have fixed it.

3 Likes

Is this the right place to report that the https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/about-us page doesn’t exist? This wouldn’t be so bad except that it’s the one that the ‘about’ page on the site menu ( Resolves to https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/about ) tells new mutants to go to: "In the event of a critical issue or urgent matter affecting this site."

It miiight just be worth either populating that address, or changing to

In the event of a critical issue or urgent matter affecting this site, please email
ohgoditsanemergency.everythingsinflames.thehorror.thehorror@happymutantplace.cx
and we’ll deal with that sharpish.

4 Likes

I’ll look into it.

2 Likes

Thanks.

(If you use that email account, I’ll owe you a beer :innocent:)

4 Likes

Is there a plugin that lets you display images in a gallery, rather than a scroll?

3 Likes

I wasn’t able to find one at meta.discourse.org.

2 Likes

Crazy. Thanks for looking, though.

1 Like