GURPS Banestorm redux

I’m not sure what a good magical healer and a funeral would cost in al-Wazif but given the expensiveness of Eabd’s loot I’m assuming one of the cheaper items will cover it all.

But if Ranar strongly objects to sharing the loot (I think that’s one of his disadvantages) or if the healing won’t really cost that much, Thwip will tuck some of his cash into the fellow’s pocket without any argument and leave with the others.

You’re halfway between Tredroy and Hadaton, a day’s walk north of the river.

There’s a north-south road a couple of hours east of you, which leads to a trading post on the river. You were heading for that road when you met Sasha; Hayu and the horsemen arrived from the east.

The river has a lot of traffic. If you can make it to the trading post, it should be easy to buy your way onto a ship. From there, you could go back upriver to Tredroy, or downstream to Hadaton.

From Hadaton, you could get a ship to anywhere.

The horse is up and walking.

The horseman will awaken shortly. Loiter to interrogate or scarper?

My vote is to tie the horse to the tree and bug out before he sees which way we went.

It’s a valuable animal…

Something to carry the gear would speed you up, too.

*Saint Brendan of Clonfert or Bréanainn of Clonfert (c. 484 – c. 577) (Irish: Naomh Breandán; Latin: Brendanus; Icelandic: (heilagur) Brandanus) called “the Navigator”, “the Voyager”, or “the Bold” is one of the early Irish monastic saints.

He is crippled, so an able bodied and reasonably stealthy person could probably lose him in the copse or the surrounding scrub and not give away which direction the party’s headed…

I say we just pack our new horse and go.

Everyone happy to head off? If there are no objections, I’ll put up a narrative post detailing the journey.

In which direction are you headed?

I’m suggest that we not go in the direction the guards came from. So probably south to the river, then east along its bank until we can get across.

BTW, as a reference for map scale: assuming that they had a competent weather wizard, a ship voyage from Hadaton to Yibyorak would take about five days. Hadaton to Araterre would be about two weeks.

A military express with magic to burn could cut that by about two thirds.

I’m onboard for that, with the slight tweak of following the river to the trading post and then a quick river-boat out of the area.

Dragging it out a bit to give y’all time to chat.

Waiting for a character who is not the shy animal whisperer to break the ice. :wink:

Since it’s not in Ranar’s character I’ll wait for the other players to tell their tales before Thwip does the “Last time on Star Trek Yttaria…” info dump.

Just so you guys know, I am not pulling out of the game, but one of Hayu’s triggers is people who blame her for things that aren’t her fault.

And realistically, she didn’t even know you guys were there until Ranar started shooting.

And realistically, she didn’t even know you guys were there until Ranar started shooting.

RANAAARRRRRRR!

1 Like

A weirding and a geas

A destiny and a compulsion.

You have saved a foot for your god

He may have misunderstood some of the finer theological points of christianity

3 Likes

I see Thwip as being a sort of “New York Catholic”. He does believe in a general sense and he was brought up in the faith. But he also thinks that if God wanted him to go to church on the regular he’d make it more convenient. And maybe birth control does have it’s uses. And maybe the bishop and the Pope are probably wrong about the things they say, but they’re really good jobs if you can get them. And whisky? Whisky is okay when moderated by being poured into your coffee.

He will put in an effort to go to confession regularly and he will try to get to Easter Mass and feels no shame in hitting up the priest for a favor sometimes.

Basically, he’s as devout as he needs to be.

1 Like

Let me know once y’all are done chatting and I’ll narrate the approach to the trading post.

BTW, as a reminder: this is where Aronn hired the horses from. The owners of said horses may be upset that they aren’t being returned.

1 Like

Funny thing, the Catholic part of Hayu’s beliefs is very much Quebec-Catholic, where the Church is more just an institution like a government department, than anything too sacred.

Which also ties in with her use of sacres. Québequois broke off from standard French around the seventeenth century, so it’s not impossible that a pocket like this would go in a similar direction. Now, I am not that great at it, but given that she was also largely raised by the Church (and Jesuits at that, who had a very strong missionary presence in Quebec), sacres make sense.

As for her other beliefs, her reading of the first commandment is that a person should put no other gods in primacy to God… it doesn’t even rule out honouring them, so long as one does not elevate them in status above the “Lord our God”. So even helping someone out with or taking part in a different religious ritual isn’t bad, per se.

Which fits with the fact that her relationship with some of the other commandments is a little bit fuzzy.

I see interesting times ahead between her and Thwip.

2 Likes