GURPS Banestorm redux

Thwip has no idea what a “ninja” is; Japanese-ancestry people are not common in Megalos.

However, hyper-stealthiness is something of a Goblin specialty (although Thwip is not spectacularly talented in that area). And it’s a world in which silence can be magically assisted…

1 Like

Thwip will attempt to see if a tube of some sort is in his pocket via gizmo to… hopefully… peek through the wall in a more stealthy way than sticking his face out.

If not he’ll keep an ear out for anything that might sound like, “There’s a secret wall according to this map table!”

2 Likes

I have drawn a Thwip as a desperado.

3 Likes

Halfway through writing up the next big instalment, BTW, and it’s dramatic. Watch this space.

3 Likes

I’m about to type. Let me know if I write anything contrary to what we established previously over on BB and I’ll edit… or flat out delete it if it’s way wrong.

EDIT: Done

Adding up the assorted dungeon loot, you’ve got:

• Eabd’s armoury.
  • The locked box marked “haram”.
  • An assortment of unlabelled potions.
  • A potion labelled “hidden”
  • Aronn had his staff, the ring that Thwip swallowed, the box it came in, and a few bits of jewellery (probably power stones). The rest is on the surface.
  • The elves, combined, have about $1,000 in coin in their pouches. One had a piece of jewellery that might also be a power stone. Their weapons are of good but not exceptional quality.

The gear stashed in the entrance is damp but still there.

Let’s grab the coins and jewels. Both decorative and magical. I feel that the centaurs loyalty might be buyable. If not they might fall to our chatty charms.

For ourselves, let’s grab our new weapons and the haram box. Thwip will use Aronn’s staff as support as well since he’s one armed now.

Would it be within his abilities/ Yirth’s TL to try and miniaturize the airgun technology?

Probably, but you’d need a workshop and a fair bit of time to fiddle about. Thinking of pistols?

Ain’t nothing else happening in this dungeon, BTW. And a quick peek at the map table reveals no sign of either the centaurs, your horses or Aronn’s carriage.

Post to the narrative thread once you decide to poke your heads out. Detail as to exactly how you’re carrying the gear would be good. Every piece of Eabd’s armoury is worth thousands, but even Ranar would struggle to haul it all unless you drag it on an improvised sled or something.

I am indeed and it may or may not be because of the picture I drew up above. If we get back to civilization in one piece and with out loot intact maybe we can do some sort of montage.

As for the rest of it, Thwip will continue to follow Ranar’s lead.

In the short term, there’s always pistol crossbows…

1 Like

@DaakSyde What are we gonna do about the bodies? Thwip has a broken arm and there isn’t enough wood out in the scrub land for a pyre. @Wanderfound Would Thwip’s Greek fire burn hot enough and long enough to do the job? Probably not enough of it given he can carry it.

Not enough oil to do more than crisp them.

OTOH, this could be a grand tomb.

Too late to add a character?

Nope; the more the merrier.

So: what sort of character did you want?

Also: it’s time for experience points.

While Ranar got all the combat highlights, Thwip was consistently useful throughout and had assorted hero moments of his own. All up, I’d say it comes out about even.

Ten character points each seems about appropriate for all y’all went through. Let me know what y’wanna spend 'em on…

2 Likes

Is Hayu’s character description above a good template to follow?

Yup.

For cultural background, see:

2 Likes

BTW, now that we’re done: you get that this dungeon was basically a cross between Gauntlet and Aliens, yes?

If the opportunity had presented, I was going to have a character dragged off only to return as a Thing… :wink:

1 Like

Charon (they/them)

Charon is an enigmatic creature: a vulnerable monster; they are strong but physically fragile, a sprinter but not a marathoner, clever but not learned. They are far better suited to life in the deep woods than the city.

1. Who is/was their closest friend?
    Currently: Phoebe, a sex worker who chats with them in the streets at night. This friendship is platonic. The majority of Charon’s present knowledge about the city and its people come from her.
    Previously: see #5, Religion.

2. Where do they hope to end up?
    See #5, Religion.

3. What is their general approach in a fight?
    Charon’s preference is not to be seen by their enemy at all. When the enemy is an animal – a meal – Charon prefers fishing line, snares, or simply standing very still and waiting for it to come to hand…
    When Charon must fight a sapient – without snares – they more readily rely on their powerful fists and any sticks or blunt objects at hand – but mostly, getting the drop on their opponent. Charon can be extraordinarily stealthy, but even when that fails, their enemy is often taken aback enough by their appearance to let them retain the initiative and win the fight before it starts.
    In a straight-up 1-on-1 fight with no surprise tactics, however, Charon has a much harder time. Although strong, their tortured body simply cannot withstand as many blows as their pedigree would suggest, and their endurance is abysmal. If they can’t dispatch an enemy quickly, they’re in huge trouble.

4. Describe their physical appearance. Gray eyes and black, mid-length, straight hair.
    Charon is dressed in hooded gray tunic and loose leggings, with black boots and gloves recently stolen from a passed out city guard. Their face is shadowed by their hood and the fact that, since arriving in the city, they’re rarely out except at night. Those that catch a glimpse of Charon’s face might dismiss it as that of a human burn victim, but this simply isn’t true. Charon is an orc whose body was apparently put through a blender by a vengeful wizard before being magically reassembled. The word “orc” doesn’t seem wholly appropriate now; even when they disrobe, their species and gender are visually indeterminate.

5. Religion. Charon claims to have been discovered by a god or goddess deep in the woods, who is now dead. Yet Charon’s descriptions of this god suggest more of a grandmotherly witch than anyone especially supernatural. Charon has no memory before being “found” by this god deep in the woods. Charon possesses a map they say was given to them by their dying god, tracing the route between the “giant treehouse” in the woods where Charon claims they lived with this god, and the city. They will return there when they pass the “test” to revive the god & be rejoined with them. They were never told, however, exactly what this test might entail, and if they could be honest about it, they are beginning to worry that even these memories are just some dream or invention or exaggeration weaved from their broken past.

6. Magic.
    Charon seems to possess various minor magics, although they don’t tend to recognize any distinction between these powers and the natural world. Certainly it would be wrong to think of Charon as a significant spell-caster.
    These spells are like echoes of the words that stitched their body back together. They include very minor or very particular healing abilities; perhaps also ones involving the waters, the winds, and the woods.

7. Attitude to humans.
    They are utterly terrified of civilization, partly due to an all-too-recent near-death experience when a party of hunters injured them with an arrow, and partly because their friend Phoebe says humanity’s not much better than that on large scales, either. Still, they were directed here for the “test,” and learning to deal with people must be a part of it.

8. Attitude to money.
    It seems people are forced to do terrible things to get it, when really the fish are catchable & there’s always a hidden spot somewhere you can sleep.

2 Likes