[In Alpha] New Theme: Earthtones

Note for the confused: in the “opt in” link above you have to substitute your own user name. :laughing:

2 Likes

This is happening consistently for me…no header at the top and when I click the space where it should be, I don’t get the functionality of jumping up to the topic lists like I do in the regular theme.

I haven’t used this as intended in the bright lights, so it’s kind of wacking me out in regular light.
I’ll switch to it outside sometime and see how it feels.

2 Likes

I think that’s a result of the logo replacement technique. There may be a better method; I’ll see if I can fix it Wednesday night. shrug

Browsers I’ve tested with are Chrome (Android) and Firefox 55(Windows).

EDIT:
Alright, I think the new method will work best. Using JavaScript to change the image SRC for the logo.

Slapped into the </head>
section

[code][/code]

yes, yes, I know, abusing onscroll. it’s not like it doesn’t do that already.

1 Like

That’s Chrome FYI.

2 Likes

New images pushed - a thin line has been added (barely visible) and a higher-res version of the E orb has replaced the existing one. These changes should roll out in the next few minutes.

EDIT:
Changed the code to be a little more maintainable.

1 Like

I do like the E, but the line is invisible on my Android. Maybe a heavier weight?

2 Likes

Bug:

I’m noticing a lot of lag on mobile, to the point I had to switch off it (which is a shame, because I like the colour scheme).

FF for Android, about all I’m running is uBlock origin and HTTPS everywhere. The lag isn’t there with the default version.

3 Likes

Ah. The JavaScript code runs with onscroll events. Short of hard-forking the Discourse codebase I couldn’t find any other method. Pity.

2 Likes

Replying to note that we’ve rolled out mute features to this theme, using code from this repo:

Limitations:

• stored as localstorage - mutes don’t carry across device
  • doesn’t hide poster name (will fix soon)

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/upcoming-feature-addition-hide-post-by-user/903?u=tinoesroho

1 Like

Bumping to note the change to svg logos! (These scale nicely and save us a lot of bandwidth - down to 2.06kb from 4.86kb, a reduction of 42%).

elsewhere
result_

5 Likes

I suspect something went… Hinky with the CSS. Probably some nonsense to do with post images being set to 100% width. Was able to replicate issue, will fix in morning.

EDIT:
Fixed. (Turns out I’d set all images to scale, rather than pixel widths, so I added a new rule to exclude avatars)

2 Likes

Can I suggest æthertones as the next theme? :wink:

1 Like

I imagine it would end up looking like a lighter shade of default dark (to distinguish from a future aquatone)… :wink:

1 Like

Patch Notes - 30 November 2017

Mobile

• increased Edit glyph priority
    should be always visible now
  • ems everywhere, rather than fixed-pixel sizes
    avatars should now scale nicely to DPI

Common

• Rolled out the PNG-based Mute Script update
    viewable, even with webfonts disabled
1 Like

I went into the Users page to see if I was anywhere near making Regular, and this is damn near impossible to read:

4 Likes

Acknowledged. Will have it fixed Sunday. I apologize for not catching it sooner.

3 Likes

No worries. I’m probably one of the few people who bothers checking that page, so it’s not surprising that it went unnoticed for so long.

2 Likes

Fix rolled out, sorry for the wait.

2 Likes

Patch Notes -- 23 June 2019

– Increased contrast of elements for easier use outdoors and on TFT LCD panels.

3 Likes

FWIW I’ve been rolling my own theme for the whole internet with the Midnight Lizard browser extension

3 Likes