Jukebox HMS Redux

How about John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Harry Nilsson, and Bobby Keys jamming for an hour and producing nothing remotely worth listening to?

3 Likes

Beautiful instrument. What is it?

Who remembers this one?

I hadn’t thought of this since 1984, then I heard it today at the grocery store.

3 Likes

It’s called a tar. It’s a long-necked lute with a skin-covered resonator used in Iran and Iranian-influenced areas (e.g., Azerbaijan). Sahba is Iranian, plays Iranian Classical music on it, although I gather she can be a bit controversial for purists. (She’s as much a composer as a performer, and that means qu’elle prend son bien où elle le trouve, which is something that doesn’t sit that well with purists anywhere.)

I have another performance of hers in the Earworms thread. Chahar mezrab is a type of instrumental movement (like sonata allegro is in the West).

2 Likes

Beau et chaud:

(Kind of an interesting lineup - Breen and John were ex-Offenbach, Breen and Jerry were ex-April Wine.)

Les Têteux, the house band.

I had no idea the singer of this song hadn’t physically left the 70’s! This dumb song still pops into my head on occasion.

3 Likes

Their number after the Beatles cover is interesting. They were like a British, skinhead CCR.

1 Like

I believe that band was called Them Crooked Vultures in it’s most recent incarnation.

2 Likes

Yup, it is Pete Seeger’s step-mum…

I see your Them Crooked Vultures and I’ll raise you one SuperHeavy.

1 Like

Mercifully, not all of these “supergroups” always come off as overblown vanity exercises. Here’s an international one: a New Yorker, a (late lamented) Glaswegian and a Montrealer. Call it Cream meets Mountain.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m on a bit of a Slayer kick today.

Before you click:

1. This video is bloody gory and violent to the point that even Takashi Miike would say, “Jesus fuck, dude!”
  2. Slayer have aged into being frightening on their own.
  3. The presence of Danny Trejo might make you pregnant.
2 Likes

This song has taken me out of my Slayer mood. In a good way.

2 Likes

Janáček.

They have that power.

Such rotoscope!

This is possibly the most “80s” video ever made.

2 Likes

From Gold Diggers of 1933, complete with Ginger Rogers doing a verse in pig latin

4 Likes