Our ex-so-called president

(It’s sad that so much of the commentary on this tweet is devoted to debating whether calling someone “progressive” automatically implies that they’re backed by Bernie Sanders)

4 Likes

Yes! Great news!

And my parents can suck it.

3 Likes

This is an interesting race. Norwood mostly only cares about fiscal conservatism, but took a sharp progressive bend to her message during the campaign that really resonated (safety, transparency, sustainability, and prosperity). As far as I can tell, it’s basically identical to Norwood’s run in 2009.

3 Likes

It was also racially charged. Most of the candidates were black. I remember there being racist robocall propaganda against Bottoms.

I suppose Norwood could have been worse, but Bottoms was my preferred candidate all along.

2 Likes

UK Example

Also remember, no election is unwinnable.

5 Likes

BC Version:

Never ever think things aren’t close. Never ever think your vote can’t make a difference.

4 Likes

Is Bottoms actually leftish, or just another routine Democratic politician? I didn’t follow that contest in detail.

1 Like

11th-doc-this

She was still preferable to Norwood, but she’s part of the democratic machine in the city, for sure, Reed’s handpicked successor.

1 Like

I will take what I can get. There is no real left in US politics.

Also, I don’t live in Atlanta, but my parents do, and I’ve had to listen to them bitch and moan about the black candidates. Not only do we have no functioning left, we don’t have a functioning right either. We just have a right wing that calls itself left wing, and a sizeable bloc of people that votes mostly based on race hatred and calls themselves right wing

5 Likes

How bad a mayor, though? Portland bad, New York bad or St Louis bad?

2 Likes

Well, Reed presided over an unprecedented shift in the city, where working class people are being pushed out to make way for higher end housing. It’s trending towards looking like San Fran, regarding cost of living (though not nearly that stratified yet). He didn’t push at all for affordable housing for example, which is the biggest issue right now… that and transportation (which he only has so much say over, since that’s a state wide issue that encompasses areas that he has not say over (the metro area more broadly). There was also a bribery scandal that didn’t directly implicate him, but some of his staff went down for it (to his credit, he opened up the records for the media to go through when it came to light).

I don’t know where that would fit in, though. Not St. Louis bad at least.

2 Likes

2 Likes

World trend.
Once upon a time people wanted to live in the suburbs, or on country estates. Now, with the emphasis on service economies, cities are the new upmarket. Again.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Y’know, I’m really starting to wonder what Trump has on the owners of the New York Times. They’ve been pumping out these tone-deaf Nazi-flattering pieces for a while now.

3 Likes

Quite a while.

The NYT aren’t just incompetent; their ownership and editorial is actively pro-Trumpist. They’re the main liberal-targeting fascist propaganda channel.

3 Likes

The NYT is owned by Rupert Murdoch. He doesn’t need to “have” anything on them; they’re the arseholes responsible for him in the first place.

They’re just arseholes and don’t need any encouragement to fawn over the establishment.

2 Likes

The NYT is one of the best demonstrations of my standard propaganda rant, BTW.

Blatant falsehoods are not required. It’s all in the framing and emphasis.

2 Likes

Murdoch owns the Post and the Wall Street Journal. He doesn’t own the Times.

5 Likes

Ah, right you are. I always conflate the NYT and the Times as essentially the same entity…

2 Likes