Our ex-so-called president

Have you noticed much change yet? (Asking because I haven’t but am trying to remain optimistic for the future.)

4 Likes

Demosthenes: “[H]e who rehearsed his speeches was a true man of the people: for such preparation was a mark of deference to the people, whereas heedlessness of what the multitude will think of his speech marks a man of oligarchical spirit, and one who relies on force rather than on persuasion.”

That sums up the failures of both candidates of the last election. Clinton didn’t defer; Rump didn’t prepare and only defers only to the worst.

Deference won. That should be a lesson but it hasn’t yet taken with the RNC or DNC.

6 Likes

No, but I’ve not been looking for it.

2 Likes

I went looking for a “Being John Malkovich” parody of Trump, instead I found this probably disturbingly accurate SNL:

6 Likes

Anyone see this?

http://community.thenet24h.com/1711673/trump-just-got-lost-walking-his-limo.html

17 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: UK Politics Thread

Some interesting video footage in here I haven’t seen elsewhere.

7 Likes

He has some form of dementia. I thought that was fairly obvious.

8 Likes

It has been to me for a long time. My maternal grandmother died of Altzheimer’s and a lot of his behavior reminds me of her. These more recent videos of him wandering off and his recent, less coherent tweets seem to indicate he is getting worse.

11 Likes

Alzheimer’s runs in my family as well. It can be masked for a while, and then it gets really bad really fast. Then it plateaus, then it gets even worse even faster.

7 Likes

This may have been the closest attempt:

2 Likes

I’m reluctant to jump to Alzheimers so quickly, but from what I saw in the video:

• there’s a pause where he’s behind the limo and we can’t see what he’s doing or saying
  • when he strides off to the side, he’s walking quickly, confidently, head up.

I know the second behaviour is something people with dementia do to cover up (aka “I did that on purpose”). Trump, however, has a history of doing whatever the hell he wants and not caring if it holds everyone else up. He doesn’t suit presidential travel agendas that are planned and timed to the minute for both the photo op and for security.

There’s also a third option: that he’s cracking up but it’s not dementia.

14 Likes

Didn’t we have that with Reagan? Wasn’t he supposed to be unable to tell Iran from Iraq? Trump at least seems to know which one is Iran, the problem is that he thinks he can tell Saudi Arabia from a load of repressive, regressive head-chopping terrorism-spreading Muslim schismatics, whereas the rest of the world looks from one to the other and has trouble telling the difference (except oil).

6 Likes

I didn’t write the headline. I think the reports on this are inflammatory. However, he has several senior moments that I find unsettling. It’s hard to say how much this is happening and his often he has more clarity.

7 Likes

[quote=“gadgetgirl, post:84, topic:499”]
There’s also a third option: that he’s cracking up but it’s not dementia.
[/quote]This is my basic, uneducated opinion. He’s cracking under the incredible pressure, bad ratings, etc. and he’s only “alive” at his continued campaigning and rallies.

11 Likes

And, he should have been able to figure out that it would be like this, but he was high on his own boner the whole campaign.

10 Likes

You think he’s aware of this?

My guess is he’s trying to figure out why he doesn’t get appearance fees any more.

10 Likes

Maybe it’s syphilis-related, or plain ol’ rabies. Old Yellerish-Red

6 Likes

I thought it might be syphilis for a while, but it probably isn’t.

2 Likes

I am ever so slightly worried that a 25th amendment solution might be used to let the Republicans off the hook to the extent possible under the circumstances.

Imagine touching pictures of Ivanka and a drugged-up Trump feeding ducks in the park of the world’s tackiest sanatorium. President Pence laments all the horrible people who gave this great American who desperately tried to keep it together and serve his country such a hard time that he broke down under the pressure. But it is time for America to heel heal, so he is willing to forgive the haters and move on. No inconvenient lessons will have to be learned that day.

14 Likes