šŸ˜Ž šŸ Name This Site - ROUND 4 Voting Open šŸŽ‰šŸ’„

Can I change my vote to this? :wink:

7 Likes

All I hear is the whisperings of sweet nothings into my ear. :two_hearts: :rofl:

7 Likes

Back to:

We go! :grin:

9 Likes

As of today, 51 voters. How many registered users on the site now?

3 Likes

According to https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/about, 139 total users.
(And 90 active in the last seven days - which isnā€™t what youā€™re asking, but is a useful indicator.)

4 Likes

And of course @LockeCJ posted some useful stats here:

https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/t/user-base-growth/526/38

ā€¦that suggest that of the 138 users, we can expect 65 to 74 to be active (and thus see this poll) each day. It looks likely that that 90 above is close to the value for the ā€˜regular poolā€™ that those 65-74 appear from (Iā€™m using the 7 day, 30 day takes it to 108).

(TLDR: We got 138 users, but from the data culled above, I believe that 90 (or so) is the reasonable maximum number we can expect to see this vote, so while 79%-68% of our daily turnover have voted (which is good), 51/90 is the inclusive ratio to measure against: 61% of our 90 ā€˜reasonable maximumā€™ users have voted. Please do check my arithmetic and assumptions.)

[Edit for honesty: if we used the 30 day max, instead of the 7 day one, the voting percentage is (currently) 47%. Iā€™d be happier with not waiting until we get a ā€˜30 day averageā€™ of votes, though.]

7 Likes

ā€¦aaaand Iā€™m going to stop running figures, and wait for someone else to check my assumptions. :wink:

4 Likes

Maybe letā€™s run this for a specific amount of time - say a week, then close voting?

4 Likes

Poll ends 2017-07-31. (@Enkita :stuck_out_tongue:)

6 Likes

Since itā€™s pretty obvious where this is headed, I went to pre-register a few TLDs as a precautionary measure. This did not go as planned. I had been periodically checking on elsewhere.*, and it looked like there were several available, but it seems that the control panel I was using doesnā€™t actually check for availability until I attempt to add to my cart, which I hadnā€™t done until this evening. I did not test them all, but I wasnā€™t happy with the remaining TLDs.

This leaves us with a few options:

• Settle on one of the actually available TLDs
  • Choose some variation of elsewhere with more availability.
  • Iā€™ve already registered one variant that I think is a good fit, but it doesnā€™t have to be the only option.
  • Choose an entirely different name.
  • Whatā€™s another three months?

Please Discuss.

6 Likes

Me, personally?
I donā€™t really much care what TLD is used. I think thatā€™s less of a problem than it used to be. Heck, even the other place is a .net (which has always felt weird).

Time to move forward, I say.

8 Likes

Which ones are still available?

1 Like

By the time weā€™re done with all these million and one polls, the only domain name left will be clownpenis.fart

16 Likes

I am so down with that.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s what whois.com is showing:

1 Like

7th of Undetriginta. Long wait.
This post brought you by the ISO Date Format Mafia.

Edit - I donā€™t really have anything against US date format, but there is this. In the good old days when you got things on paper (younger generation - explanation will have to wait -)* it was easy; if it was USL or US legal then it would be month-day-year; if it was A4 or A5 it would be day-month-year. But the Internet removed context, at which point there were often grounds for confusion.

I also collect odd number formats. It amuses me that the French count to 60 in tens and then start counting in twenties to 100, whereas the Belgians donā€™t. The Romans had the less-1 format e.g. IX for 9, also in written Latin (hence undetriginta). The Russians had the situation that 40 and 90 would be virtually unpronounceable and so introduced the word sorok for 40 (apparently means 40 fur skins originally) and, on the Roman principle, devyatnosto - ā€œten before 100ā€. These and date formats are things to save up for when someone tells you that date and number handling are easy.

*2nd edit. OK. In the distant past instead of information being stored on spinning rust or silicon oxide insulators, it was often stored on a substrate made out of cotton or cellulose fibres made smooth with a coating of clay and glue. Information was stored in a non-binary symbol system using deposits of carbon on the substrates. Like hard drives they came in different formats, called e.g. USL or A4. Data transmission involved placing the substrate in a sort of bag made from a similar material, and marking it with the destination address in symbolic form. The data then entered a complex network which was entirely human-operated, though mechanical vehicles played a part, and eventually reached the destination.
Later when a technological solution to the transmission and storage was discovered, the same non-binary symbolic marking was used for presentation to human users as they had in the interim learned to decode the symbols optically.

11 Likes

Itā€™s the 7th of Vigintinovember, if I have this correct.

December is the 12th month, so Undetriginta is actually the 33rd month, not the 31st.

7 Likes

I canā€™t see the image from where I am, but I looked it up and showed clownic.com at $2395.

ssclown.com is $3395, presumably for its value as the Trump Administrationā€™s new homepage.

7 Likes

Bake sale?

1 Like
2 Likes