Well this is interesting

I heard it with a rabbi

3 Likes

Frauenfelder just posted much the same thing on the Other Site.

3 Likes

I think that should be Rabbit :rabbit:

7 Likes

yeah, I was going to accuse him of biting off of us, but then I saw his post was referencing someone’s new podcast about the same topic. that’s a kooky coincidence, but coincidence it seems to truly be.

4 Likes
7 Likes

The navigator on that first raid over Essen was my boss’s uncle. (He did three full tours, a statistical outlier, and ended a Squadron Leader.)

7 Likes

I believe Richard Feynman held the original patent, because the US govt. asked the Los Alamos people what ideas they could think of for using nuclear power and he suggested it as a joke. So they patented it.

6 Likes

Another good idea glowing with atomic goodness.

5 Likes

Teller was surely one of the nastiest people imaginable; consumed with pride, utterly amoral. It’s just as well he wasn’t working for Hitler, I am sure he would have been just fine with Nazi ideology so long as they let him detonate big bombs.

8 Likes

True this. One of the biggest failings I have as a person is I forget that not everyone knows as much as I do. If I realize that someone doesn’t know something, I do my best to either show them where to get more info or teach them about the subject.

I don’t always succeed in either, but I’ll keep trying.

4 Likes

Oblig repeat of well known Welsh sergeant joke, addressing recruits: “I am never wrong. Ever. Actually that’s not true. I once thought I was wrong about something, and I wasn’t.”

13 Likes

I read that in the voice of Windsor Davis

4 Likes
8 Likes

Presumably that’s what happened to Snowball Earth.

5 Likes

One of only two Lancasters in the world in flying condition is in the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. You can buy a one-hour flight for the bargain price of $3500, so we occasionally see it flying low over Lake Ontario. The sound is unmistakable.
http://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection/details.aspx?aircraftId=4

7 Likes

There’s a bit in Alex Henshaw’s Spitfire where all the fighter test pilots have been transferred to Lancasters while they repaired bombed-out Spitfire factories.

According to the story, Henshaw noticed that his co-pilot had his seatbelt undone and wasn’t paying attention. So he dived just enough to pop him out of his seat, then aileron-rolled the Lanc while keeping him floating in the middle of the cockpit. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Well apparently paltypus insist on defending their crown when comes to the odd mammal contest.

10 Likes
3 Likes

This is why god invented trains. All cars moving at the same speed.

7 Likes
3 Likes