Whatcha Watchin'?

Here’s a photo that shows the quality and selection of the stones.

3 Likes

I have the finest of scientific proofs! Backed up by my own opinions.

You see, there were some US TV series that crossed the color barrier. In other words, shows that started in black and white then transitioned to color. And the writing on these b/w episodes is much better. Such shows include Hogans’s Heros, The Fugitive, Bewitched, Lost in Space, and others.

Even the first season of I Dream of Genie was in B/W, and it was a surprisingly inteligent show — compared to what it became.

7 Likes

Okay, there’s the correlation – where’s the causation? Did anything else happen in television during the same time period which may have caused the scripts to start sucking? Reagan’s studied banality had an effect on TV shows – it was certainly commented upon at the time.

It would be cool to look up directors who directed TV during this era and see if they had anything to say about it. I’d wonder what, for instance, John Frankenheimer said, if anything. I know he talked about how working in television influenced how he shot his films (the commentaries on Ronin and Manchurian Candidate are great for this).

4 Likes

I’m just hoping that they are trying to earn some kind of happy ending?

6 Likes

I think there was a happy ending a couple of seasons ago?

I don’t always keep going when a show seems to have run its course.

2 Likes

Fallout fans might like Dominion if they haven’t seen it already. Not really related but it’s also Las Vegas after the apocalypse. Better writing and acting than one might expect.

2 Likes

My Facebook and Twitter are currently full of people saying HOLY SHIT, GAME OF THRONES!!!

I’ve watched it every season very regularly, but my HBO-owning friends have been sick, so I haven’t seen the last three episodes. Thankfully I’ve seen no spoilers so far, but this is killing me.

3 Likes

stay spoiler free – there’s been some great stuff, especially in the latest one.

4 Likes

Just finally finished watching S4 after a long break, and now I realize why I kept putting it off for other shows;
I wasn’t looking forward to seeing David Tennant’s run as the Doctor come to an end.

Even though I haven’t seen the rest of the series yet, I fully get it why he’s many Whovians favorite Doctor; it surprised me how emotionally attached I became to that particular incarnation.

Now I have until Xmas to get through all the Smith and Capaldi episodes to get caught up to date…

8 Likes

If you liked Twilight Zone and also liked those feel-good 80’s movies, Dimension 404 is a nice blend. Like a short scifi B-movie each episode, but with that 80’s movie feel. Too bad there’s only 6 episodes so far.

5 Likes

I just started watching Treme, David Simon’s series about New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina.

No reason.

4 Likes

Any good?

I’ve only seen one ep so far. It has very high production values and some actors that I liked from The Wire. Honestly, a lot of what I’m feeling as I watch it is the feel of The Wire, remembered. I think I’ll need to see a few more before I can judge it on its own.

Observation: the opening bars of the theme music are a lot like Northern Exposure (then it takes off in a different direction)

2 Likes

As someone who lived in New Orleans, Treme captures the essence of the place better than anything I have ever seen. That festival atmosphere even in all the pain and suffering, it’s for real. The guest appearances are worth it alone - Kermit Ruffin steals the show every time he is on. They feature a lot of the musicians that make it a place like no other.

4 Likes

just saw The Void - a truly creepy and pretty bloody Lovecraftian film. It sort of brings Lovecraft into the 21st century. If you like Lovecraftian stuff, I highly recommend it.

5 Likes

I’ll definitely second that recommendation. Fans of Lovecraftian horror and gross practical effects will enjoy it; it felt like a big love letter to Rob Bottin.

4 Likes

Treme is frickin’ sweet! Can’t recommend it enough!

If you like New Orleans music and The Wire, then Treme will be perfect for you. Otherwise, it will still be damn good.

5 Likes

Awesome, sounds like I can’t lose. I’m looking forward to it.

3 Likes

I watched this on Netflix the other day. It was really excellent - great performances and fascinating story; the 70’s was really captured.Watch it when you can handle some darkness.

5 Likes

Oh fuck. She killed herself on camera, didn’t she?

3 Likes