I dig it.  

1 Like
6 Likes

Put that in domain format…

2 Likes

I was picturing the logo.

1 Like

world.cafe?

Meh, already taken (and that TLD would probably be too expensive to use anyways). :slight_smile:

1 Like

bbs.wiggle.room

13 Likes

It doesn’t look like the .room TLD is available as far as I can tell. I found some place that would let me pre-register it, but I can’t do so through my regular registrar.

I do love it, though.

3 Likes

$ whois wiggle.room
No Data Found
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2017-04-26T05:45:43Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

Amazon Registry Services, Inc. (“Amazon”), the Registry Operator for .ROOM, offers this WHOIS service and provides access to the records in the .ROOM WHOIS database for information purposes only, to assist you in obtaining information about the registration records of existing domain names.

3 Likes

https://icannwiki.org/.room

I don’t think registrations are open to the public. :frowning2:

2 Likes

AmazonRegistry.com only wants to talk to me about .MOI domains :confused:

1 Like

Some people like deadlines, so I’m creating one for this thread; tomorrow AM I will review the current suggestions and put them in to a poll. So if you have inspiration, put it here today!

8 Likes

This made me think of something involving ‘caravanserai’ and would be something adjacent to @teknocholer’s suggestion of salons, coffeehouses, and penny universities.

A caravanserai was a roadside inn where travelers (caravaners) could rest and recover from the day’s journey. Caravanserais supported the flow of commerce, information, and people across the network of trade routes covering Asia, North Africa, and Southeast Europe, especially along the Silk Road.

Which has the added bonus of being a stop on a long journey for travellers as well as being available in some of the new TLDs for USD 5/yr. Unfortunately, the Anguilla TLD of .ai is a bit spendier at USD 50/yr.

5 Likes

We’ll attract a lot of old Santana fans…

5 Likes

Also Silk Road fans?

6 Likes

Out of all the suggestions, these are the ones that stuck with me:

The Adhocracy
Anything involving mutant, including rebelmutant.com
The Commentariat
Annexia
The Numbers Station

My top pick is adhocracy. It’s easy to spell, easy to say, sounds familiar to the ear even though it isn’t, it’s (to me) a smart neologism that sounds like the people at that place would know things about politics, about words and ideas, about the world – and it calls out to the history of how this place came to be. It’s unpretentious while making a good impression.

I’d love anything having to do with mutant, although I see how that’s problematic. To me, we are mutants and that’s what’s great about us. We each have our quirk, our difference, our kink, our flaw, our greatness, our mutation. Whatever name we end up with, I’m still calling us mutants. Honor thy mutation.

Any of Commentariat, Annexia, Numbers Station would be great.

I also came up with Jabba’s Party Barge, which would totally cause trouble and should be ignored.

10 Likes

No! But you’re on the right track.

Hieroglyphics is religious writing.
This site should be Demotic.

4 Likes

Or pedagogic, in any event.

3 Likes

I vote for any name that involves “Elsewhere.”

Not only would it be meaningful — if you know — but it’s also open ended and mysterious. Like “Outland,” the movie or comicstrip.

In other words, it has poetry!

5 Likes

I agree, it has poetry and feels good. Can it work without the HMS? Should it be paired with something?

Subtitle: Some other place, somewhere, some other time.

5 Likes

I really like Adhocracy too; especially if the organisation style we end up going with reflects that kind of vibe.

ETA: Adhocracy.pub.

5 Likes