What's in a name?

This is why I like it too. Prohibition driving things underground.

19 Likes

Boink. As in yoink.

ā€¦Wonder how much of a dip in traffic thereā€™s been at the other place?

6 Likes

Well, Iā€™m still popping over there as well, but mostly for the group PM conversations that are happening.

I can see me still looking in over there, but less and less as time goes on. Itā€™s a shame really - after they buggered up the main site so badly a few years back, the BBS was the only user-friendly part left. Now user friendly is the last way it could be described :unamused:

11 Likes

The good ship Queen CZAnneā€™s Revenge?

Walloping_Window_Blind.net?

4 Likes

I think the HMS idea is fun. I like the analogy of us setting sail (on something barely sea-worthy) to explore uncharted lands. I like that it alludes to our past, but doesnā€™t weigh us down. Also, as long as itā€™s just an acronym that means nothing, thereā€™s no trademark issues.

So Iā€™m interested in seeing more suggestions that start with HMS. I donā€™t think we need to only reference historical ships though - we make our own ship! Something inspiring and noble sounding;

HMS Reflection
HMS Acuity
HMS Remarkable
HMS Acumen
HMS Reckoning
HMS Prudence

Or we could go a sillier direction;
HMS Rolleyes
HMS Dafuq
HMS IMHO
HMS Facepalm
HMS FTFY

7 Likes

My vote (fwiw)

4 Likes

On a completely different note, though, I also have a name that I had reserved awhile ago for a similar purpose;

Commentariat Collective
I have the .com, .org and .net of that, as well as

Commentariat.co

7 Likes

I will only go with something of the Boaty McBoatface variety if it means we all agree to call the other The Author Ship.

4 Likes

This. ā€œHMSā€ is a bit much for a dyed-in-the-wool British republican (small ā€œrā€) such as myselfā€¦

7 Likes

So how about Her Majesty Pile-Driver Paulaā€™s Mutant Space The Remarkable Boink-Pirate Adhocratic Speakeasy of Eden?

That way I think everyoneā€™s happy.

10 Likes

Itā€™s a bit much for this anglophobic colonist, too. But as long as I read it as Happy Mutant Space, I feel ok. :relieved:

4 Likes

I would suggest ā€œThe Good Shipā€ as a non-partisan alternativeā€¦

2 Likes

Is there any way we can fit Banana or Rob Ford in there?

9 Likes

Just Look At HMPDPMS The Remarkable etc.?

Maybe we should start a thread about Rob Ford.

8 Likes

Why? Did something happen to him?

12 Likes

Yeah, the information is all at http://boingboing.net/

3 Likes

Iā€™m reminded of this ATHF scene as I read this thread.

4 Likes

I dunno if I want to click that link. Iā€™m scared of owls.

5 Likes

What, are we Field Mice? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

HMS Elsewhere

9 Likes