A conversation gone wrong, in a jif. or possibly a gif

I’m not sure about inviting anyone still connected to that place. As much as we like Xeni, do we really know her feelings about recent events? She hasn’t spoken publicly AFAIK.

6 Likes

Well, it is a source of income for her. You don’t poop where you eat.

That explains Rob’s fly-bys too – “Hi, yes we know about this, be seeing you.” No-one who writes for BB has hung around here in any guise which made it clear it was them. Which is only sensible of them.

13 Likes

f936bc67fae968bf914bfb29e3c1b30fd1c0a7dbf73bc28b8bf59a459ed7866b

11 Likes

Emphasis on emphasis mine.

I’m gonna be honest guys. This is sort of thing (and the forum in general) comes across like Canadians defining themselves primarily by how they’re not American.

At least set up some blackjack and hookers here.

6 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

cf

cf

17 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :stuck_out_tongue: But yes, the reason for this site in the first place was that a bunch of people were unhappy with the way BB was changing and wanted something more like the old days. We are the United Empire Loyalists in this analogy.

I don’t want to overstate my reluctance to invite Xeni. I’m not adamantly opposed. But she is inevitably close to TPTB over at BB and may feel an obligation to defend them. We don’t really know who is on Team Owl.

11 Likes

I invited someone from the old place and as far as I know, he hasn’t come over. Ah well, you can lead a digital horse to water, but blah blah blah

6 Likes

How about GulliverFoyle? Pretty sure they know about here.

And does anyone know what happened to ModusOperandi? I loved their jokes. I think they were banned for awhile at the Other Place.

5 Likes

I dunno what happened to Modus… he vanished off the AV Club as well after the Kinjapocalypse.

6 Likes

If ANYONE manages to figure out how to communicate with ModusOperandi, I think we all agree that they should consider themselves empowered to invite them here, STAT!

13 Likes

Discourse has our email addresses (though they may be encrypted); I wonder if someone sympathetic Over There could somehow invite them that way. If the address is still valid. We could draw up a petition.

ETA: NOPE, bad idea.

2 Likes

Here already, but not very active.

7 Likes

This exactly. There are some hostilities. We can’t risk inflaming them now.

Although I see the point about establishing our own identity. If anything, that means more people not from That Other Place.

We will do that in time, if we get a blog and decent readership.

4 Likes

To belabor my point;

This place isn’t going to grow if all it’s offering is “Boing Boing without that guy.” Look at the threads. It’s all the same as Boing Boing with a few exceptions. The current No Homers Club approach is just going to accelerate the already obvious decline in postings if it continues. Trying to drain BB of its user base to grow the one here isn’t going to work. Anyone not disgruntled is going to take one look and say, “I already got this shit.”

A lefty alt blog and forum? Still lots of room for it. Growth will mean that the Homers are inevitable, but at least the mission statement will be established from day one and it’ll show that we’re open to growth. Current approach? Dead end.

5 Likes

Your Daily Modus can still be found here;

5 Likes

And here:

http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/User:Modusoperandi

Gets around that person does.

6 Likes

Here you are

image image

9 Likes

8 Likes