A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

I had never heard of this before today:

4 Likes
8 Likes

If he had bragged about it he could probably get elected.

5 Likes

“Now the skeletons are gone.”

The definition of skeleton in this context is a remnant of past misdeeds that literally doesn’t go away. That’s why you hide them at the back of a closet.

7 Likes

Creative campaigning:

4 Likes
5 Likes

For Australia, making a typo was the most important day in their lives. But for me it would have been tuesday .

6 Likes

Not many people will proofread microprinting-- it takes an especially keen eye,

4 Likes

Australian healthcare beats the hell out of the American horrorshow, but that doesn’t mean that all is as it should be:

8 Likes

The Australian political media are currently engaged in a hagiographical frenzy over the recently-deceased Bob Hawke.

I am not so inclined.

http://www.kooriweb.org/foley/essays/tracker/tracker19.html

The Hawke/Keating governments were also responsible for delivering the Australian union movement gagged and bound for the Howard government to destroy. They dragged the Labor movement to the right and disempowered the Australian working class.

6 Likes

3 Likes

It isn’t guaranteed yet, but so far:

Contrary to all of the pre-election polls, the right is looking likely to retain government.

The one minor consolation is that Tony Abbott lost his seat.

6 Likes

Y’know that thing that White American liberals do where they try to blame the South for all of America’s failings?

Middle-class White Australian centrists are currently doing that with Queensland. It’s all so depressingly predictable.

7 Likes
9 Likes

To be absolutely fair though… Fuck Queensland :smirk:

6 Likes
3 Likes

The Coalition also had a substantial swing in their favour across western Sydney.

Fuck Australia.

I’ve said before: the problem in America is that the American government does not represent the majority of the population. The problem in Australia is that the Australian government does represent the majority of the population.

8 Likes
5 Likes

An Anning volunteer bitten by a Rottie, Abbott getting kicked out, a Hanson billboard set on fire… the good moments are very much washed out by the sea of bleakness, raging racism and xenophobia.

Fuck.

7 Likes
3 Likes