A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

My 75 year old Mum lives at Orange.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, there are a bunch of American soldiers firing off missiles and things in Queensland:

https://twitter.com/talismansabre

2 Likes

That’d be the Tasmanian Director of Public Health.

Mercifully, there doesn’t seem to be footage online yet. You can guess at what sort of press conference would inspire a statement like that, though.

No euphemisms involved; not drunk, just understandably cracking up a bit.

2 Likes

Newtown is a Sydney suburb immediately adjacent to the University of Sydney. It was once such a working class stronghold that it was a focus of the Unemployed Workers’ movement during the Great Depression.

When I lived there twenty years ago, it was still just barely holding on against the tide of gentrification.

These days?

3 Likes

2 Likes

BTW:

If you want to stop people breaking quarantine, you don’t need cops and witchhunts. You need to fucking well pay people so they can afford to stay at home without getting evicted or watching their families starve.

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Also, apparently their mum has been found dead at home, from covid. Very sad.

1 Like

Now that their first attempt at “reform” has been rejected, the Oz right has decided upon a new strategy to destroy the NDIS:

1 Like

Fuck’s sake. Can’t ‘like’ that.

1 Like

BTW:

I used to know a guy who, at age fortyish, won ten million dollars in the lottery.

The first thing he did was give his ex-wife (and mother of his kids) one million, on the condition that she never speak to him again.

He was always a bit of a right-wing arse (engineer, Vietnam vet [1], Celtic neopagan, Irish nationalist but highly anticommunist), but after his win he very obviously shifted into an attitude of “I don’t have to care what anyone thinks because I’m rich”.

The second thing he did was buy a ridiculous Harley Davidson.

The third thing he did was buy a flash house in the middle of Newtown for about two million.

It’s probably worth ten million now. All acquired with zero work or virtue on his part; money breeds money.

[1] Navy. His job was to punch in the coordinates on the ship’s targeting computers for whichever village they were flattening that day.

2 Likes

14 active cases, 2 Delta, statewide lockdown for a week.

These outbreaks did not erupt from nothing, and they did not paddle across the Torres Strait. Not really due to the stranded Oz expats trying to return home, either.

They came in with nonessential travellers and aircrew who were allowed to dodge proper quarantine [1] because inconveniencing wealthy people is forbidden.

Millions of people in fear and under restriction, all so a few rich arseholes could continue taking holidays and attending business junkets.

[1] And because cheapskate neoliberal idiocy led to inadequately isolated quarantine facilities staffed by untrained, unmonitored, unvaccinated and underpaid staff who were financially required to work multiple jobs.

3 Likes
3 Likes

While the virus spreads uncontrolled and swarms of cops are patrolling western Sydney to enforce the lockdown:

2 Likes

Jennings is the Director of ASPI.

Which is funded by the arms industry [1] and the US State Department.

[1] Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, etc.

3 Likes

Grrrrrrreat, just what you folks need.

1 Like

That’ll do wonders for the effort to convince Tasmanians to volunteer for AZ shots.

However, context:

Still three weeks to go until the appointment for my first Pfizer jab.

2 Likes

Seeing as how Brisbane has just been volunteered to suffer through an Olympics…

2 Likes