A World Turned Upside Down: Australian News

50°C ≈ 120°F

1. It reached 50.5°C at Roebourne yesterday.

2. There is a prison there.

3. This prison has no aircon for the cells.

4. 80% of the prisoners held there are Indigenous.

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

And they’re all copying…

Job agency bullshit was a pointless waste of time even pre-Covid.

Now, it’s just murderous nonsense driven by sadistic classism.

3 Likes

I’ll say this much - I’ve never had to go to one to qualify for food stamps.

And I won’t. If it comes to that, I’ll fucking sue the government…I’m sure I could find a publicity-hound attorney to help me out. ;D

This was a nice moment:

Explained: the player who ducked out of view as the champagne was opened was Usman Khawaja, Australia’s only Muslim Test cricketer. He moved away because he doesn’t like being associated with alcohol.

But when Pat Cummins (the team captain) saw what was happening, he got the team to hide the booze so that Usman could come back and join the team photo.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Still better than some of the places I’ve rented.

2 Likes

From 2010. The full judgement is here:

You may note that the judge was deeply concerned about the impact on the perpetrators, who he described as being of “good character”.

1 Like
2 Likes

For reference, this is where the flooded road is:

And this is the detour:

2 Likes

Meanwhile…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Courtesy of Kudelka, Tasmania’s strategic reserve cartoonist:

2 Likes

Keating (one of the bastards who destroyed the Australian union movement) discussing Clinton (the bastard):

Somewhat unusual to see the malevolent influence flowing in the other direction. Although our immigration policies have been regrettably influential overseas as well.

1 Like

:thread:

1 Like

Ohhh, I could tell you “welfare” stories that would curl or straighten your hair, depending on its original state!

1 Like