An Ongoing thread on climate change and climate justice

Figure we can use a unified thread on climate change issues…

4 Likes

A couple of from The Guardian…

Paging @chgoliz for the one above!

And for an international perspective…

5 Likes

The intriguing point they’re not quite making is that Daniel Burnham’s Plan for Chicago (and then nailed down by Montgomery Ward…but read the first link for a more nuanced understanding of why public parks were so important to Burnham especially) included that the lakefront would always be public property, not private, but of course that was for Chicago as it was in the mid-1800’s. The whole south side had been separate towns but then annexed to the city in 1889.

As an aside: any home or apartment building already built on the south side when annexation occurred is officially listed as having been ‘built’ in 1889, because the records didn’t carry over so there are no original documents – except in individual circumstances – so they’re dated to when they joined Chicago.

So, you have some private ownership of lake frontage, but only on the south side. And then, between the fact it’s private, not public, and at this point basically 100% Black owned, well, yeah, doesn’t seem to be high on anyone’s list, does it?

https://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1177.html

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/3716.html

3 Likes

There have been 5 wildfires in the last two days within 30 miles from my house. Luckily and thru the hard work of firefighters, all but one was contained without any damage to buildings. The last one took out an apartment complex. But that still leaves the damage to fields and wildish areas. It’s been texts about red flag warnings for two weeks. Humidity is below 10% and high temps between 98 and 104 for two weeks. No rain to speak of since June 22.
This is not normal for north Austin. The droughts are getting longer and more severe. North Austin should be a humid summer place. Not as humid as Houston but this is not a desert.
I want the rain to come but I’m also worried. We don’t usually get gentle steady rain in summer or fall. A deluge right now wouldn’t get absorbed quickly and we’d have wide spread flooding.

10 Likes
11 Likes
5 Likes

That’s so terrible. I was friends with a family who lived near a place where toxic waste and radioactive stuff was junked. Everyone knew it was bad, my ex’s dad could list off everyone in the neighborhood who’d had cancer or something, and it was a long list. Her parents have both died, and her son was born with birth defects. But that was where they grew up and where all their friends and family were there. And they weren’t rich enough to just move away, with no support network.

There are communities just like that all over the country.

6 Likes

Yep. It’s fucked up. The EPA has been starved of the funding necessary to get shit cleaned up, sadly. Thanks Ronnie (and every Republican since then)!

5 Likes

Here’s some GOOD news, everybody!

Ironic that the spokesperson for the state AG has the surname of “Flower”.

6 Likes

This is excellent news

1 Like

The state argued that even if Montana completely stopped producing C02, it would have no effect on a global scale because states and countries around the world contribute to the amount of C02 in the atmosphere. A remedy has to offer relief, the state said, or it’s not a remedy at all.

This is rather like being at a loud party that’s disturbing the neighborhood and saying “well, I’m not making the party loud all by myself, and if I shut up entirely then the party would only be a little bit quieter… so I should be allowed to keep yelling as loudly as I want!”

5 Likes
2 Likes