And I Say, Hey! What's Goin' On?

update on the above–

i saw the doctor yesterday who treats my lower back and sciatic nerve issues and he happily gave me a note attesting to the medical necessity of wearing vibram five finger shoes. i presented said note to my principal this morning and he looked at it as if he were unaccustomed to such well prepared . . . sarcasm? . . . defiance? . . . and then looked at me and asked “well, what do they do for you?” i told him they greatly relieve the stress and pressure on my lower back and sciatic nerve. he gave a combination of a shrug and a nod and said “i’ll put that in your file.”

and me? well, i’m much happier.

20 Likes

The latter (boundaries) is harder (at least in my case).

6 Likes

I have just submitted my information to receive a mortgage pre-approval, which of course means nothing in reality.

13 Likes

Actually, that’s really more like the approval these days. Once you get the house to buy, they do a little extra paperwork and you are in.

Congratulation!

8 Likes

Weeellll…

The last time I tried this in 2011 I got the so-called “pre-approval” instantly. Then there was a huge problem with unending phone calls afterwards when they found out I was, at he time, a long-term temp.

And then the owner might accept someone else’s offer. And then there’s the co-op board interview.

And that’s life.

11 Likes

Oh bummer. I am with USAA and they make it so easy. I have been through some crazy stuff with home loans though. Credit unions are where it’s at.

9 Likes

I will look into that.

6 Likes

I have had such better experience with them. I was just talking with a woman from my local credit union’s headquarter’s last night, and she said she had previously only worked at banks and was just amazed at how much better they are. This particular one is just so personal. They actually have an ATM where you there’s a videophone to a super helpful teller and they will walk you through a transaction personally.

7 Likes

So, why am I stressed about buying an apartment in the Big Apple?

Read all of this:

Since the mid-20th century, every industry has left NYC except real estate and business of being rich. So it gets a bit complicated because this is all people think about. Dickens could write a great novel called “Bleak Apartment,” where a character spontaneously combusts due his life-long obsession warranty deeds.

5 Likes

I have signed the contract, received my “loan commitment letter” from the bank, and now I’m collecting my info for the co-op review panel. This might — might — happen.

16 Likes

Fingers crossed for you.

9 Likes