Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

4 Likes

Rescue submarine design?

10 Likes

The atmospheric railway?

5 Likes

I don’t think he’s technically failed at that yet. Especially since he’s limiting his involvement to not much more than coming up with the initial idea, and outsourcing all the actual engineering work on it to everyone else.

2 Likes

You mean what he always does?

More seriously, his main function is dealing with executive work, and it is what he is really good at - but SpaceX turned a profit once the government took a dump on NASA and Tesla is a house of cards that could tank any minute that is propped up by a continuing promise to shareholders that they will be profitable next year.

Tesla is 15 years old and has yet to be sustainable on its own. If investors pull out of it (which they will eventually), it will cease to exist without government intervention. It cannot be expressed enough that Musk has been lucky for an unreasonably long period of time, and that his enterprise is very much on a bubble that will ruin a lot of lives. That’s also why just a whiff of talk of going private was such a big deal, because his investors want it so very badly.

7 Likes

Well, no. What I mean is that he’s not even part of a corporation really trying to develop Hyperloop. I’m sure he wants to see it succeed, but unlike Tesla or SpaceX, he has almost no skin in the game.

3 Likes

It was a joke.

2 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

6 Likes

Part of the problem, according to Callahan, lies in the broad way that philanthropy has been defined. Under the federal tax code, an organization that feeds the hungry can count as a philanthropy, and so can a university where students study the problem of hunger, and so, too, can a think tank devoted to downplaying hunger as a problem.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty much convinced that tax deductions for charitable donations need to go.

• Charities are used as excuses by libertarians for why governments shouldn’t have to look after the well-being of their citizens
  • Much of the money to support these charities is, practically, coming from government coffers anyhow (in the form of lost tax revenue), so the government should be the one in control of the funds.
  • As the article states, it’s generally the rich people getting tax refunds for their charitable contributions anyway, so it’s a regressive tax measure.
13 Likes

And (in the US at least) a significant amount of the donations are going to religious institutions.

10 Likes

Thread:

5 Likes

Shenanigans in reporting default rates:

Allowing IP to be locked up is slowing economic development:

…And the lock on IP centralizes so much market and political power in firms that the word monopsony is no longer banned from everywhere but the classroom:

No comment is needed:

7 Likes

When our knowledge cannot be placed in a personal sense of place and time, it becomes an unused, valueless commodity… like contemporary journalism:

3 Likes

Local to me:

In the article: St. Louis had a previous Chinatown which was displaced for a parking lot.

And of course the famous Arch is basically a monument to eminent domain.

8 Likes

BTW, I appreciate Catapult not including a bunch of URL tracking garbage I then have to strip out. Yes, I do strip the trackers. The ones that I recognise, anyway.

5 Likes

what an asshole.

6 Likes

I don’t even have to read the article to know exactly which asshole it references…and I was raised in Kansas.

7 Likes