Put-Our-Rich-Criminals-in-Check Global Emporium

10 Likes

The article still contains an insertion or three of passive language pushing the idea that raising the minimum wage substantially would cause undetermined reduction of employment. Basic FUD. I hate the lazyness of that argument.

Otherwise interesting when it reports specifics…

7 Likes
5 Likes

An interesting little detail,

Maybe a tool that people find valuable becomes significantly less so when it’s covered in ad garbage.

Growth picked up again after they went global, but it turns out that they’ve only just started doing non-English language ads. Advertising is the laziest way to get a revenue stream because at that point, making the tool or program or whatever better has a much higher opportunity cost.

7 Likes

As usual, the ad matching is just bizarre. I mostly pin knit & crochet patterns, beadwork patterns, and recipes. I get ads for bathing suits and bras, and sometimes shoes. None are remotely interesting.

5 Likes

I also get ads for women’s swimsuits and bras.

I am a hairy man. I would not look good in that stuff.

5 Likes

I look for crochet mostly, but also recipes. Maybe that’s why I get a lot of weight loss ads. They are less than interesting, because when I’m looking for a recipe, it’s never for diet food. I do wonder, though, if the advertisers think vegetable-forward or vegetarian equals “diet”.

4 Likes

Ye gods… I pinned one, ONE, vegan recipe, and it wasn’t super-healthy (melt chocolate chips and almond butter, stir in rice crisps, place in lined muffin tins to make sort of home made candy bars — great way to use up odds and ends of ingredients).

I got absolutely bombarded with vegan recipes for a long time after that. Sheesh. Cross reference people.

7 Likes

Is that also when they started doing the deceptive link redirection? I seem to remember a mythical time when clicking on a pinterest image took you to the image or at least the page it came from instead of another seemingly-random pinterest page. Since they started doing that it became extremely annoying, to the point of worse than useless.

2 Likes

Hm. I always put that down to clueless users. For instance, if you pin an image from a blog or tumblr when you’re reading the whole feed, the link will be to the top of the feed. You have to view just the one entry to link directly to the pist the image came from.

1 Like

Conversely, that never happens to me, and I’d love to get more vegan ideas for the one kid I’ve got left at home who is, in fact, a vegan.

5 Likes

In an interview, Nirmal Mulye, Nostrum chief executive, said he had priced the product according to market dynamics, adding: “I think it is a moral requirement to make money when you can . . . to sell the product for the highest price.”

7 Likes

Work to death.

3 Likes

If you’re worked to death it’s your fault.

4 Likes

No.

10 Likes

Have you read Thug Kitchen? Their website (https://www.thugkitchen.com) is a good jumping off point but their actual cookbooks are amazing.

I’m an omnivore but Mrs. Cynical is a vegan, which means I’ve had to adapt most of the things I already knew how to cook or find new recipes from scratch since we have been together.

Most vegan cooking websites are just so interminably twee that I can’t stand them. I want to know how to make tasty food, not be lectured; if I’ve already googled “vegan recipe for [whatever]” I’m already on the team and don’t need a thousand words of sanctimonious crap before I scroll to the bottom and find out your recipe for a vegan curry is basically boiled cabbage in a store-bought sauce.

Thug Kitchen is vegan cooking without all the interminable Instagram filters. Their recipes are funny, tasty, well-balanced nutritionally, and are easily adaptable once you have a basic sense of what substitutes they use and how they approach food.

6 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

The everlasting battle between those who transcend the law and the people they rely on to implement their crimes.

3 Likes

No, starting the next before you finish the last leads to a weird overlap where you’re living 2 days at once and that doesn’t work out well. Besides, you need to sleep sometime.

8 Likes

Going to McD’s isn’t good at the best of times.

Today is not one of those.

9 Likes