Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Turn 2 - Bejing (c.1406)

Oh these travel glossies…

Battle of Agincourt - France vs. England. England vs. France. {YAWN}
Construction of Maccu Piccu - Faith and Gold. But I’m not interested in Trade Routes.
The Fall of Constantinople - I was supposed to meet a lady there, but I heard she was sometime else.
Siege of Orléans - France vs. England. England vs. France. Oooch, ‘and now som’ wee Scots 'ave arrived.
The Spanish Inquisition - Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to go there.
Siege of Belgrade - Of all the times people have sieged Belgrade, it has to 1456.
Sejong the Great publishes the Hangul - I have been peckish for some yaki mandu as of late.

12 Likes

[excerpt from The Diaries of Other Pendragon © 2017 by TrilloCom LLC]

I have seen many wonders here in the capital of the Great Cathay, but some things are the same in all lands. The gentle folk live in stately pleasure domes, wear silks that would make a merchant rich with one shipload, and are served at table with all manner of delicacies—anything that runs, crawls or just lies there pulsing is meat for them. The common folk live in huts, wear cotton rags, and eat little, mostly rice. (All, though, eat their food with two sticks cunningly held in one hand. Reader, imagine trying to lift slippery noodles from broth with two sticks, and you will know why I have been hungry since I arrived.)

The Emperor styles himself Son of Heaven, but is a man like any other. All the Immortals here seem to be foreign. Of course there are the Scots, always the Scots, grumbling that the cooks don’t know how to prepare neeps and sheep guts like they do at home, and that Auld Glencampbell’s Export Worst Bitter isn’t a patch on the authentic Auld Glencampbell’s Worst Bitter. The street children throw little fireworks under their kilts, and it is amusing to see them jump.

That pompous “scholar” who lectured me in Avignon is here. He seems to have ingratiated himself with the court, although there is some question of his loyalties. He has managed to annoy half the city, explaining their own culture to them, pestering the local scholars to teach him how to form the characters of their language, and insisting that they should “honour” their great sage Kǒng Fūzǐ by calling him Confucius in the Latin manner. They mock him behind his back. I met a young woman named Julia*, who told me that the scholars made subtle alterations to the characters they taught him, so that the banner he flew at the Battle of Lake Poyang actually said something quite different from what he supposed. When I begged Julia to tell me what it said, she giggled and recited an unspeakably rude poem about his ancestors, ending in the phrase, “the aristocrats”.

In the market yesterday (wonderful smells) I observed a small white dog trotting confidently along, nosing for scraps and being itself eyed hungrily by the locals. Indeed, a man from a butcher’s stall seized it by one leg, but the dog bit his hand and ran off. As it ran by, it looked at me and I felt that strange vibration, like the thrum of a harp string, that I get in the presence of an Immortal. Can there be shapeshifting Immortals?

*[biographer’s note: probably Xiu Lia, a woman of the court known to serve the Emperor as a spy and translator. She would have been barely out of her teens at the time.]

9 Likes

wakes suddenly from a deep slumber

… and that’s why you didn’t eat mushrooms offered from strangers back then…

nodding intensifies

nods off.

7 Likes

Battle of the spreadsheets? I’ve played this whole game on my Remington Rand De Luxe Porta 5.

3 Likes
  Mystical runes appear: ae928030c320ef9979d878e46fa57896c941edb3

Time remaining     : 1d 11h 59m
    Submission deadline: 2017-10-06 23:00:00 -0400

@cleveremi @steampunkbanana @manwich @teknocholer @justa_little_whinger @miasm @david_falkayn @chickied @dreamboatskanky @guest_account_7

1 Like
  Mystical runes appear: 39a2c64a1e0fa17398adffffc40e83a8acbf1594

Time remaining     : 1d 11h 59m

@pogo @nightflyer @tobinl @donald_petersen @penguinchris

“I have heard that The Kurgan have been sighted recently. You may wish to make arrangements.”

2 Likes

Man oh man, what a ride. Crimea did not pay, as the saying goes. I got off the wagon after a really bad sleep, had a goat kicking me all night long. But really, that’s what you’re going to get when you sign on with Plague and the Goatkickers. That’s the last time I sign up for something without listening to them first. Gongs, kicked by goats. Who would pay to listen to such a thing? The back end got all messed up and as I’m dealing with getting the monitors set up and running back to the wagon some jacknut in a pointy nose nearly stabs me right in the ear.

Well, that’s not cool man, not cool. So I unsling and got ready to rock and he pulls out this knife and we go at it man, just hacking away. There’s not much to tell of specifics but, man, I was already winded from unloading the gongs and if I didn’t get things set up for sound check then I’ll never hear the end of it, so I tossed the guy a crew shirt, and between that and his mask he didn’t see me duck down an alley so I can get back to the wagon and finish the setup. Terrible house, just dead, no craft services backstage, gig’s been a total waste of everyone’s time. Certainly not selling any records on this one.

Now Machu Pichu man, that place looks awesome. Aztecs and stuff, I can get down with that, I mean, what an album cover, right? It turns out Stone Temple Pilots have a tour headed down that way that I’m going to try and get on. Hopefully no goats, right? They got llamas or something. Alpacas? Who knows, can’t be that bad. Time to rock.

6 Likes

I came to Beijing to test certain theories regarding female oriental anatomy, although after much ejoyable fieldwork I am happy to put such base rumours to bed.

There seems to be an unusually large number of Scots here, and I swear that I saw the same woman who accosted me in Sevastapol. Time to leave, I think.

I’ve heard there’s a Maid in Orleans who enjoys “swordfighting”

7 Likes

[sings off key] Machu Pichu maaaan! I’m gonna be a Machu Pichu man!

Harold, get up and dance. Remember when they played this at Darline’s wedding?

10 Likes

8 Likes

[A note found scrawled in a margin of a Chinese scroll]

I drifted through the South Pacific, finding what work I could. A tour as a rigger on a junk landed me in Beijing, just in time to watch the parade of accursed Immortals strutting and preening, embolden by their Armistice.

I searched the opium dens and brothels for the mysterious Archivist, hoping to catch a glimpse of his legendary degeneracy. I longed to separate his misshapen head from his grotesque neck. Alas, the Kurgan have found me first … [note trails off]

10 Likes
  Mystical runes appear: 9815fd81dd9435c277738bd1712d0d0deb67d3b9

Time remaining     : 0d 12h 23m

@cleveremi @justa_little_whinger @miasm @chickied @dreamboatskanky @guest_account_7 @pogo @tobinl @donald_petersen @penguinchris

5 Likes

I’m beginning to get bored. That woman already broke my lightsaber.

4 Likes

Hold on, hold on.

3 Likes

Are you going to add that lightsaber to your list of the things you miss?

8 Likes

Is that an off-topic expression of displeasure with Boing Boing’s revenue model?

Step 1. I miss things.
Step 2. You agree with me.
Step 3. Profit.

6 Likes

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

“Hey Bon!”

bonsnooze

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Oi, Bon!!

“Yeah…?”

“You awake?”

bonwake

“Christ, I am now.”

“Where the hell you been?”

“Asleep, Aengus, ye wee fucker. I’m exhausted.”

“Why areya… dressed like that?”

“Like what?”

“The wig, the skirt, and that.”

“Oh yeah. I’m in-cog-neato.”

“In-cog-what-o?”

“Neat-o. I’m hidin’ out.”

“Who from?”

“The Emper’r’s daughter. Long story.”

“I guess it must be. She’s been dead these twenty years. Did you spend the whole armistice hidin’ out asleep in a Chinese opium den just because of one of your romantic misunderstandings?”

“Wouldn’t be the first time, would it?”

“I guess not, but I don’t remember you doin’ it in drag before.”

“I was hoping maybe the clientele here wouldn’t be tempted to molest a sleeping blonde.”

“You’d have found yourself woefully wrong, if not for the opium.”

“Christ, this pillow’s vile.”

“Twenty years’ accumulated drool might do that.”

“Let’s duck out the back. I may have trouble settlin’ me tab.”

“Don’t wanna fight yer way out?”

“Naw, my legs are too stiff at the moment. Let’s find a pint, then figure out where to go.”

“I got an idea, Bon.”

“Yeah?”

“Remember that war back home?”

“What, Charles the Mad and King Richard’s wee tiff? Sure. I’d half a mind to call it the 70-Year War.”

“Well, it’s back and it’s got a new name now.”

“Bloody hell.”

“Want in on it?”

“Hell no. Why would I?”

“There’s someone you might wanna meet.”

“Oh yeah? What kinda bloke would I want to meet in the middle of a war?”

“Not a bloke.”

“Really.”

“Young lass. French.”

“Oh, really.”

“Aye. Devout, too.”

“Sounds like work.”

“Not for you. That’s why I was sent to fetch you.”

“Sent? By who?”

“None other than King Henry.”

“Pull the other one. You’re tellin’ me you were dispatched to a Chinese opium den by King Fucking Henry the Fourth to fetch me…”

“Not Fourth.”

“What, Fifth? Was I asleep that long?”

“Longer. He’s Henry the Sixth.”

“Christ. I need a piss.”

“She’s a mere slip of a lass, and the King thinks she’s in league with the devil. But she’s actually a devout Catholic who loves her country.”

“What, loves France? Madwoman.”

“Maybe. But His Majestry needs someone who can charm the pants off young ladies, and when I heard that, I knew who to dig up.”

“Where do I meet her?”

“Near Orleans. In a garden. Underneath an old apple tree.”

6 Likes

“The long years began to pass before the Immortals would gather again.”

Current status:      Sound asleep
    Order submission:    Unavailable
    A cryptic footnote:  8f04b379abe179a58c6175e5a7dd6cd72b2ef6cf

Woooooooof! Not in a million years!

7 Likes