Driving through Alabama

Nowhere near our route, but thanks for the head’s up…

1 Like

Just get a pro-Confederate bumpersticker, or two. You’ll be fine.

Something like…

Or

Or my personal favorite:

3 Likes

Alternately, this:

That might make the trip a bit more memorable than desired, though. :wink:

11 Likes

You know, your post brought something to mind I had not thought of in a few years.

A fascinating documentary of driving through Alabama. It’s from, I think, 2007 but it is as relevent as ever.

“I honestly beleive that in certain parts of America now people have started to mate with vegetables.”

4 Likes

If you really want to fit in, throw one of these bumper stickers on the back, so everyone knows that the real divide in your family is not racial, but your college football team allegiance.

One of my favorite all time shows is Hart of Dixie, and one of my favorite ongoing riffs in this post-racial South is when the black town major/former Auburn star is dating the white “Belle” woman - a diehard Bama fan, and she hasn’t yet told her family that - gasp - he played football for Auburn. They will never understand.

In the South, some things are bigger than race. And those things are college football.

10 Likes

I-65, then. I’ve only been as far as Cullman, then we get off and head into the hinterlands. You’ll be fine getting gas at any of the larger truck stops immediately off the highway. Before you get to that last leg (presumably US 231), get gas in/around Montgomery.

@ChickieD’s suggestion to slap an Auburn or 'Bama decal on the back window will help you blend. Also, your Tennessee plates will be a much less desirable target than our Michigan plates. I think you’ll be fine, and you’ll be too preoccupied by all the slowpoke idiots who won’t get out of the left lane to worry much about Rosco P. Coltrane.

3 Likes

not going to sully my car with any kind of decal (unless it’s Doctor Who based). We are going to be on the main roads and will only get off at truck stops or major cities. We’ll be good.

6 Likes

Quick update.

Next Thursday is the big day. With all the shit happening in Bama right now (pedophile going to be elected to the Senate, the fact that the Roll Tide lost, the racists feel even more empowered seems like), I’m a little concerned. Luckily, we are leaving at 6 in the morning so if we time it right, most of the chuckle fucks should still be sleeping off their benders by the time we are through the state.

wish me luck or send me bodyguards

13 Likes

Hope it’s a safe trip. Pics please! Alabama is really a pretty state for all its short comings.

5 Likes

Good luck and safe trip.

3 Likes

I still think you’ll be fine. Just don’t forget to get gas off the interstate before you have to go on the smaller roads.

There’s a Petro truck stop just north of Cullman we always stop at. There are always a lot of out-of-state plates parked there. Aside from the Jeebus music, never had a problem there.

5 Likes

Okay thanks. My big concern is when we leave the interstate and have to take the state roads.

This is 20 fucking 17…this is not something I should have to worry about.

fuck Trump, fuck the TGOP, fuck the assholes that put both them in power…

9 Likes

I’ll do my best to get pics.

6 Likes

Hey, how’d the trip go?

You’re still kicking, right?

12 Likes

Got to Miami and just chilling with the family now. No issues getting through the state outside of seeing signs about the pedophile running for Senate.

14 Likes

Did you at least stop at a Waffle House? Krispy Kreme?

6 Likes

Excellent! Very glad to hear it.

I think I would have listened to this song over and over again to keep my spirits up (yeah, it’s about Mississippi rather than Alabama, but still not a place I’d want to stop unnecessarily).

6 Likes

I love a good Krispy Kreme. Waffle House, not so much, although I’m sorely disappointed at how little Northerners care for breakfast. Two blueberries and a spoonful of yogurt isn’t breakfast, sorry. At least they know how to eat breakfast down south.

Mississippi is the only state east of Colorado that I have never set foot in. There’s a few reasons for that, mostly socioeconomic. There is basically no economic reason for me to go there, because there’s no real industry, and not only is there no societal reason for me to go, but societally it is pushing me away.

Alabama would be in the same category, except it has Huntsville. Most PhDs per capita for any city of its size in the US. I’ve worked with and for groups from Huntsville on various occasions.

Although there was that one road trip that I was on where I had to go through (and stop in) Alabama because of a fustercluck of a traffic jam in north Georgia…

6 Likes

I didn’t do either

https://imgur.com/HnMbyEp

2 Likes

I’m taking pics and when I get an album put together, I’ll share a link for it.

4 Likes