Elon Musk buys Twitter

… TIL “shareholders” can overrule a judge

5 Likes

IIRC, a large part of the judge’s decision was that the shareholders were materially misled in the lead-up to the previous vote. A new vote by the shareholders with that issue corrected would be an obvious resolution to that… assuming that’s what happened here.

2 Likes

Despite laying off the team working on Tesla’s Supercharger electric vehicle charging network, Musk said he thinks the company will deploy more chargers this year “that are actually working”

Sounds like setting the bar pretty low, but gotta have some kinda goal I guess.

3 Likes

I was led to believe that the Supercharger network was generally regarded as reliable, especially when compared to similar offerings from Electrify America, Chargepoint, and others. Some even considered it a more valuable part of the company than the cars. That’s part of what made dissolving the team such a bizarre decision.

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Ah yes, the ‘Free Speech’ platform Muskrat promised truly living up to its promise.

1 Like

I saw a Cybertruck for the first time today. They look even worse IRL than I could have imagined. It’s bigger than I thought. So it’s not just ugly, it’s big and ugly.

Interestingly, it wasn’t bare stainless steel. It was painted a glossy light grey. I’m not sure if that is custom or standard.

2 Likes

It’s custom. The first thing one does with those things, apparently.

2 Likes

I saw one a few weeks ago. I live in Saskatchewan. I can’t wait to see how that thing does when it’s -30C with snow. Hopefully it’ll handle that better than it handles sand.

Makes sense. If you leave it as shipped it’ll corrode the first time it rains. Exactly what you want in a car that costs $80k+

4 Likes

An interesting deep dive on the subject of rusting Cybertrucks.

It also has this paragraph that explains what I saw:

The Cybertruck does not ship with clear coat, that outermost layer of transparent paint that comes as standard on almost every new motor vehicle on the planet. Instead, each Cybertruck owner has the option to purchase a $5,000 urethane-based film to “wrap your Cybertruck in our premium satin clear paint films. Only available through Tesla.”

5 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

“This is an antitrust action relating to a group boycott by competing advertisers of one of the most popular social media platforms in the United States… Concerned that Twitter might deviate from certain brand safety standards for advertising on social media platforms set through GARM, the conspirators collectively acted to enforce Twitter’s adherence to those standards through the boycott,” the lawsuit said.

Uh… “We didn’t meet this group’s standards, so they stopped buying from us, and it was a conspiracy” seems like an argument that really ought to defeat itself.

6 Likes
4 Likes

[edit] and a more complete article:

5 Likes

And in other good news:

6 Likes
3 Likes

The court already has held that Defendant Paxton’s announcement of an investigation and issuance of a CID [Civil Investigative Demand] demanding records relating to Media Matters’ organization, funding, and journalism would sufficiently deter a news organization or journalist “of ordinary firmness” from speaking again about X-related matters. Defendant Bailey has gone one step further. He has filed suit not only to enforce the Missouri CID, but he has asked a state court to sanction Media Matters with a civil penalty. Such action chills speech.

Mehta’s ruling said that Bailey made it clear that “the true purpose of his investigation” was political. “Revealingly, Defendant Bailey expressly tied the investigation to the upcoming election” during an online interview with Donald Trump Jr., Mehta wrote.

“This is absolutely a new front in the fight for the war for free speech. This investigation is really critical and again especially as we move into an election cycle in 2024,” Bailey said during the interview.

3 Likes
3 Likes