Elon Musk buys Twitter

Brazil top court justices to vote on Monday on X ban

BRASILIA, Sept 1 (Reuters) - A five-member panel of Brazil’s Supreme Court will vote on Monday whether to uphold Justice Alexandre de Moraes’ ruling to shut down social media platform X in the country.

Moraes, whom X owner Elon Musk has labeled a “dictator,” has called a virtual session of the court’s first chamber - of which he is a member - so peers can review his decision.

Brazil’s Supreme Court has 11 justices split between two chambers of five members each, not including the chief justice. They can vote to maintain or reject decisions by a single judge.

4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Marginally related:

We have terrible news. Seven years ago, 150,000 people paid us $15 to protect a pristine parcel of land on the US-Mexico border from racist billionaire Donald Trump’s very stupid wall.

Unfortunately, an even richer, more racist billionaire⸺Elon Musk⸺snuck up on us from behind and completely fucked that land with gravel, tractors, and space garbage.

How did this happen? Elon Musk’s SpaceX was building some space thing nearby, and he figured he could just dump his shit all over our gorgeous plot of land without asking. After we caught him, SpaceX gave us a 12-hour ultimatum to accept a lowball offer for less than half our land’s value. We said, “Go fuck yourself, Elon Musk. We’ll see you in court.”

4 Likes

HA! My mom’s already been in the atmosphere after we spread/shook out her ashes! Guess I showed him, eh?

And if humanity is doomed under Harris, wouldn’t it make more sense for the losers to go to Mars to escape the resulting dystopia? Then again, if Trump wins, the people who have the knowledge to actually survive on Mars would definitely want to go - I know I would! sigh, again, the wisdom of Charles Manson comes into play: “No sense makes sense.”

2 Likes

I saw my first cybertruck in person today.

I pulled up to a stop sign to make a right-hand turn, and the cybertruck pulls up next to me… to make a left turn across two lanes of oncoming busy afternoon traffic, so of course he blows straight past the stop line and pulls up as far as he can, placing a blank slab of lightly stained stainless steel (saw a nice reddish blotch at the corner where the rear panel meets the door) between me and the oncoming traffic I need to see in order to turn. It looked like it even had a lift kit installed, so he didn’t even have the excuse of needing the viewing distance. And, of course, it took forever for enough of an opening to come along for him to cross, while I probably could have turned a couple of times during the wait.

My impression of the things has definitely not been raised by the encounter.

4 Likes

With some vehicles, you just immediately know on sight that the driver is more likely than average to be an a-hole. Cybertruck is definitely one of those.

5 Likes

Elon Musk’s X (formerly Twitter) remains on the hook for an approximately $400,000 fine after failing to respond to an Australia eSafety Commission 2023 inquiry, which largely sought to probe measures X is currently taking to combat an alleged proliferation of child sexual abuse material (CSAM) on its platform.

To void the fine, X tried to persuade Australian Judge Michael Wheelahan that X had no obligation to comply with an Online Safety Act notice issued to Twitter because Twitter “ceased to exist” a few weeks after receiving the notice—when Musk merged the app into his company X Corp.

Wheelahan summarized X’s argument as saying that “X Corp was not obliged to prepare any report in Twitter Inc’s place, as X Corp was not the same person as the provider to whom the notice was issued.”

:man_facepalming:

5 Likes

It just boggles the mind that there are people who think he’s a cool genius. And the ones who think the other guy has his wits about him in any meaningful way, good grief. This really is the stupidest timeline.

3 Likes

… every billionaire a policy failure

especially those two guys :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I can imagine them thinking “with rich people like this in charge, how can we lose?”

1 Like
7 Likes
4 Likes

I can well imagine Pete as SecState.

and totally unrelated: what is UP with Hailey Bieber in the banner ad? She looks as though…I don’t know, lol!

1 Like