Elon Musk buys Twitter

5 Likes
7 Likes

“Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake, according to two people familiar with the moves. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary to build the new features Musk envisions, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing private information,” Bloomberg wrote.

Reports say that Twitter began asking laid-off workers to come back on Saturday. Business Insider quoted a source as saying that one “worker who Twitter asked to return rejected the offer because they felt ‘used, and think they will be fired again soon.’”

I do not blame them one bit. I would also not blame anyone currently employed or re-employed there to be paid while they look for another job.

Twitter is also reportedly delaying the implementation of Musk’s plan to verify accounts account for $8 a month until after Tuesday’s midterm elections. Twitter prematurely said on Saturday, in the release notes for an iOS app update, that the paid verification was being rolled out “starting today.” But a company official confirmed in a tweet that the change isn’t live yet.

I’m not convinced this was delayed out of an abundance of caution as much as it was likely that a major feature change like that can’t be reliably rolled out on a major website in a week.

Musk defended the Twitter layoffs on Friday, writing that “unfortunately there is no choice when the company is losing over $4M/day. Everyone exited was offered 3 months of severance, which is 50% more than legally required.”

I’m pretty sure Twitter is a private company now, so there were presumably more choices in terms of how to handle issues that a public company beholden to shareholder valueTM and the marketTM would have.

Also, is 60 days severance normal, or is that just alluding to how you can more or less circumvent the WARN act by paying the former workers 60 days pay in lieu of notifying them 60 days in advance? I’m reasonably certain I’ve never received that much in severance, usually just two weeks or sometimes more depending upon seniority, plus sometimes some vacation time. To be fair, CA != KS, so there may be stronger labor protections there that I’m not familiar with.

Personal story time: I worked for a e-commerce software company in the early 2000s. Through a series of managerial missteps, the company eventually went bankrupt and was purchased by another company out of bankruptcy. I and other employees stayed on with the newly acquired company, while others were let go. I found out later that there was a third group of employees who were neither on the “keep” or “let go” list, and continued to come to the office until presumably someone figured out what to do with them. I assume they got paid, but I never got a chance to ask them about it. It was a weird time, and I can’t say that I regret the choices I made at the time, but I might make different choices now.

5 Likes

And how much of that is due to the additional debt that Musk saddled the company with during the purchase? After all, the company was starting to occasionally have profit show up on the books recently

6 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Twitter’s privacy and security teams are in turmoil after Elon Musk’s changes to the service bypassed its standard data governance processes. Now, a company lawyer is encouraging employees to seek whistleblower protection “if you feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do.”

Everyone here should also know that our CIO, Chief Privacy Officer and Chief Compliance Officer ALL resigned last night. This news will be buried in the return-to-office drama. I believe that is intentional.

Over the last two weeks. Elon has shown that he cares only about recouping the losses he’s incurring as a result of failing to get out of his binding obligation to buy Twitter. He chose to enter into that agreement! All of us are being put through this as a result of the choices he made.

Elon has shown that his only priority with Twitter users is how to monetize them. I do not believe he cares about the human rights activists. the dissidents, our users in un-monetizable regions, and all the other users who have made Twitter the global town square you have all spent so long building, and we all love.

9 Likes

They’re already subtly noting a difference between the two. Why not make it a green checkmark, or better yet, a dollar sign?

What a mess.

What an asshole.

According to Liss-Riordan, Twitter told laid-off employees they “would receive the same severance pay and benefits they would have received under Twitter’s previous ownership,” but it now appears that’s not true. Twitter’s prior policy was to provide “at least two months’ severance (or more, based on years of service), as well as bonuses, equity, and other benefits,” Liss-Riordan said, but Musk’s Twitter told employees given the official termination date of January 4, 2023, that they would only get one month’s severance pay.

All employment under capitalism involves coercion. It’s very hard to ask former employees to wait to be paid in the hopes of being compensated fairly later on. You bills won’t wait for your legal proceeding to resolve, and if you’re unsure about future employment prospects (especially with an additional 11k unemployed from FacebookMeta), it makes decisions like this even harder.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Also, seems like a pretty good way to reduce head count

6 Likes

(parody of a Nazi comic
)

2,247 votes and 11 comments so far on Reddit

Still can’t afford a sense of humor : antifastonetoss

4 Likes

Definitely a pessimistic take. This part was interesting, though:

When you say things like this, a lot of people—including front-pagers and commenters on this site—will respond with something along the lines of “good riddance”, and expound airily on twitter’s toxicity and uselessness. And frankly, I find that smug and not a little bit stupid. In the current state of the internet, with RSS effectively dead and Facebook a walled garden, there is no other platform for discoverability that isn’t ultimately about lifestyle, that allows people to just talk and share their experience and expertise. Even if you’re not on twitter, you’ve benefited from it. Every time you’ve been exposed to a new perspective, from activists, scientists, artists, or critics. Every time a self-satisfied pundit has found themselves getting cut down to size by people who actually know what they’re talking about. Every time a video or a photograph that the news wasn’t going to air has gone viral. And that’s just among people like us. In other parts of the world, or among marginalized communities, twitter has been an invaluable tool for connection and organization, for promulgating information and new ideas. There is nothing else that fulfills that need, and it will be a profound loss when it is gone.

Twitter has been far from perfect, but it’s been far above some of the other offerings, and it was clear there were attempts to make it better. There wouldn’t be so much outrage at Musk’s fumbling and trolling if there weren’t something of value being lost in the process.

7 Likes

100% agree with all this. i’ve been on Mastodon for 2 weeks as of today, and in general i like it – the people are pretty nice, it’s definitely got a lot of promise, and all the handwringing in the media about how it’s “confusing” is overblown to me. once i understood that it didn’t really matter which server i was on, and that i could follow anyone i wanted to no matter which server they are on, everything else was very intuitive. It’s like twitter in the early days, when servers would get bogged down and posts would lag. Just be patient. i haven’t found replacements for ALL the things i used to love on twitter, but i’m willing to give it time.

One thing i find a tad annoying (and hypocritical) is all the finger-wagging from the OG Mastodon people. if they would just post a list of Mastodon culture norms somewhere and direct expats like me to them, it would help a lot, rather than everyone constantly posting and saying “don’t do/say such-and-such! we don’t do things like that here.”

There’s also a HUGE “Jan Brady syndrome” problem at Mastodon. everyone talks about how much they hate twitter (excuse me, “the birdsite”), and how Masto is so much better, and yet everyone can’t stop talking about twitter and reposting stuff they find there about how twitter’s doing today, etc
 i mean, if you’re over twitter and you’re better than twitter, than just ignore twitter and MOVE ON, you know? Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

5 Likes

I blame the newcomers for so much of the birfsite discourse. I’m there for cat pics, shitposting, and discussion - if I wanted to whinge, I have a plushie to do that to.

3 Likes

I am familiar with that, in other contexts.

5 Likes

Any essential services created under capitalism are a side effect, not the goal. If that weren’t true, the entire startup->VC funding->IPO model wouldn’t exist. There would be no need to incubate a company until they pivot to be profitable if doing the the thing they were designed to do was profitable in the first place. That’s not me suggesting that these services shouldn’t exist, but rather to point out the market gymnastics necessary in order to create them in spite of capitalism.

5 Likes

“capitalism” = “rich assholes taking over every useful technology and space”

Just say it and stop hiding the problem behind a abstraction that doesn’t mean anything.

2 Likes

If I’m understanding it correctly (and yes, somebody please correct me if I’m wrong), capitalism is the socioeconomic structure/mechanisms created by and for the rich assholes in order to take over every useful technology and space (and exploit the working class.)

It’s still abstract, but it’s a useful catch-all word to describe the process (and much easier to type. :wink: )

3 Likes

Today’s Ars coverage(so far)

Chief Information Security Officer Lea Kissner confirmed leaving the company in a tweet.

If I ever work for the postal service, and then voluntarily stop, I intend to send out postcards announcing it.

The Verge also paraphrased another anonymous employee as saying that this week’s launch of the revamped Twitter Blue subscription “disregarded the company’s normal privacy and security review” in which a “red team” reviews potential risks before launch. “None of the red team’s recommendations were implemented before Twitter Blue’s relaunch, the employee said,” according to The Verge report.

If his intent was to destroy the company, there were certainly cheaper options. He does seem to be doing so pretty efficiently, though.

Generally, it costs $10 or less to make a vial of insulin. Yet, patients in the US can easily see monthly insulin bills of hundreds of dollars.

Capitalism “Rich assholes taking over every useful technology and space” isn’t any good at providing useful services in medical care, either.

There is help on the way—for some. The Inflation Reduction Act, signed into law in August, will cap the out-of-pocket costs of insulin for people on Medicare to just $35 a month, starting in 2023. But proposed caps for those with commercial insurance were scrapped, and there’s no protection for those who are uninsured.

JuxtapositionPutting things side-by-side for comparison.

Capitalism is one word, instead of the nine you supplied. If it lacks sufficient meaning, that has more to do with a couple of centuries of equating Capitalism with Freedom than it does with the actual useful meaning of the word.

2 Likes

Very well-put.

2 Likes