Elon Musk offers to “buy 100% of Twitter” for $43 billion

Suuuuuuurre they did.

7 Likes

He’s the real victim here.

3 Likes

caping for the cop who killed michael brown? sounds like apartheid clyde rides again.

6 Likes
3 Likes

I can appreciate accidentally shooting yourself in the foot, but to do it deliberately, targeting each individual toe?

7 Likes

I’m sure he has this deal in writing? Is he trying to turn into Trump himself? whatthefu

3 Likes

Oh, that would be fun to watch.

8 Likes
6 Likes

Why am I reminded of mad kings?

3 Likes

10 Likes

For those suggesting that Mastodon instances are a reasonable replacement for Twitter: jwz: Mastodon stampede

2 Likes

First, I really like JWZ, even if he has become a bit of a cranky old guy in recent years - I can totally understand why. I find myself becoming like that. Anyway, I followed the threads down deep and found this gem of a comment:

Some people see waves of refugees as a resource, and look forward to the St Patrick’s Day celebrations when the potato famine victims have settled in.

Others are preppers who have been waiting for an excuse to shoot other humans in bulk their entire lives, and preemptively dehumanize people they haven’t met.

The “we are nice because we’re us, they are bad because they’re them” crowd don’t care if it’s new arrivals they’ll be gunning down, or if they themselves go west into injun territory and claim it in the name of Spain. Doesn’t change the logic.

It’s an interesting commentary on internet society and human nature.

5 Likes

Diving even deeper into these threads, this is 4 years old at this point, but perhaps still interesting, Wil Wheaton’s attempt at transitioning from Twitter to Mastodon:

Some choice quotes:

the site I loved turned into a right wing talk radio shouting match that made YouTube comments and CSPAN call-ins seem scholarly.

and

Twitter doesn’t care about how its users are affected by themselves, though. Twitter cares about growth and staying on the good side of President Shitler’s tantrums.

Seeing things like this makes me really appreciate what we have here.

5 Likes

It would be much easier than Twitter. He’d just need to partner with an experienced phone company, such as Samsung. If he needs a network, he could do what all the start up carriers do and purchase airtime from the big companies. It’s required by law for them to allow the small carriers to do this.

5 Likes

Oh, he’s always been that, even back to the Netscape days. Did you see his blog post today? He took a big bite of Post and Hive, and then slimed marca. Who, admittedly, has become an asshole worth sliming, but he was the guiding force behind Netscape Back In The Day, and jwz’s first real boss.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. Google has a stranglehold on Android, and without Google on board, you’re not going to have a useable Android phone. I doubt that Samsung would take on Google just for Elmo’s vanity project.

2 Likes

Nah but whitelabel mediatek phones are a dime a dozen - and he would still manage to fuck that uo somehow

2 Likes

Perhaps, but he would have to actually come up with some kind of value proposition that would get people to actually buy and use the things. And I somehow doubt “this phone lets you use twitter as an app instead of opening it in your phone’s web browser” would draw a large enough market segment to overcome all the other downsides the phone would likely have.

Plus, he’s already scrambling to figure out how to boost Twitter’s revenue to cover the debt payments he’s saddled the company with. Floating a cell phone project that’s tied to that business would make things worse in the short term, and long term…

8 Likes

Also worth mentioning that Microsoft was in the smart phone business before Apple even invented them, and they threw in the towel. Even companies like Amazon tried to make a phone that was based on Android and failed pretty miserably. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it would be a very tough hill to climb.

8 Likes

“Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter. Do they hate free speech in America?” he said.

4 Likes