Elon Musk offers to “buy 100% of Twitter” for $43 billion

Forced arbitration is just another way for the capitalist class to exploit the working class. I appreciate that this law firm has apparently found success in the past, but these agreements should be made illegal, along with non-competes, and in many cases, NDAs.

10 Likes

:notes: I soon found out what she meant when I sold my clothes just to pay my rent. :notes:

4 Likes

The Twitter Dev account says the social network “is enforcing” those rules, and it “may result in some apps not working.” Twitter’s API documentation is extensive and contains many rules and limits dependent on several factors. Tech video producer Marques Brownlee, who has 6 million followers, replied to the account soon after its post, asking, “What are the rules.” Neither Brownlee’s nor any other questions elicited a response.

2 Likes

This is mentioned in the Ars article I shared, but it’s worth reading in it’s own right:

I recommend reading the entire piece, even though it’s pretty long by online article standards. I do want to call out one small quibble:

Simon, who owned a ­portrait of himself dressed as a 19th-century French general…

This is the sort of entirely irrelevant personal detail that many journalists include in their writing, like what an interviewee was eating during the interview, that I find strangely irritating.

4 Likes

And… they’re desperately trying to do so by offering free ads to the bigger advertisers who have bailed, according to the Wall Street Journal. The deal is buy one, get one free, up to $250k.

The tech company is dangling free ad space by offering to match advertisers’ ad spending up to $250,000, according to emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The full $500,000 in advertising must run by Feb. 28, the emails said.

Basically half off, if you commit to spending $250k.

And it looks like they desperately need it, as the article notes:

Many big brands including pharmaceutical company Pfizer Inc., United Airlines Holdings Inc. and auto makers General Motors Co. and Volkswagen AG have paused their spending on Twitter. More than 75 of Twitter’s top 100 ad spenders from before Mr. Musk’s takeover weren’t spending on the platform as of the week ending Jan. 8, according to an analysis of data from research firm Sensor Tower.

2 Likes

On Thursday, […] six days after the API was cut off… Twitter quietly amended its “long-standing” Developer Agreement to effectively ban third party apps. Specifically, in the “restrictions” list, a new clause was added saying that you can’t use an API to “create a substitute or similar service or product to the Twitter Applications,” meaning no more third party apps.

3 Likes
1 Like

While I generally agree with the sentiment, I think when the personal detail is you 1) had a self-portrait of yourself created, 2) brought it into a silicon-valley office, and 3) specifically chose a French general in the Napoleanic war era for that portrait, it’s fair and reasonable to believe that the portrait sheds some light about your persona in an article that in large part discusses how the persona of a Billionaire is marching a rather strategic plan straight to defeat, no? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The business equivalent of marching into Russia, which it seems is an aversion lesson even Russia has trouble grasping.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Previously, the blue tick indicated “active, notable, and authentic accounts of public interest” verified by Twitter, and could not be purchased.

But now, users can buy them through the new Twitter Blue service.

At least two Taliban officials and four prominent supporters in Afghanistan are currently using the checkmarks.

Hedayatullah Hedayat, the head of the Taliban’s department for “access to information”, now has the tick.

4 Likes

So they are who they said they are but paid all the same. There’s so much fail in that. Just like any other ridiculous religious nutjob. No notes, just, wow.

Besides allegedly not paying bills, Musk has reduced Twitter’s expenses by laying off half its staff, terminating thousands of contractors, and issuing an ultimatum that caused many employees to resign.

I’m slightly torn because landlords are the worst, but not paying your bills is exactly the kind of disruptive leadership style I’ve come to expect from Musk, It would not surprise me if not paying employees is next.

5 Likes

To no one’s surprise:

5 Likes

He’s already trying to do it with ex-employees, so definitely wouldn’t be a surprise.

Seems to be one of several traits he shares with Trump.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Now, Reuters is reporting that the ad revenue decline may be even worse that reported earlier. Apparently ad spending in December (typically a pretty big advertising month) was down an absolutely jaw dropping 71%.

And, the numbers may actually be even worse when you look at the details. An Axios article from a couple weeks ago did note that “dozens of media companies” are still doing content advertising deals with Twitter, mainly around sporting events. Elon even tweeted out the story in an effort to show that things are supposedly going great with Twitter advertising. Except there was an important detail buried in the article:

Most of these media partnerships are multiyear deals and were brokered before Musk took over Twitter.

5 Likes

I’m wondering when the lawsuits start for devaluing resale values, etc.?

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure Chrysler’s lobbyists have already made that not a thing.

4 Likes

Twitter has not yet shared how much its new “paid basic tier” will cost, and the company has only vaguely promised “more details on what you can expect next week.” Thousands of small developers may have to shut down free tools like @ThreadReaderApp or @RemindMe_ofThis, the Verge reported, impacting hundreds of thousands of followers who rely on small developers to build tools that help maximize their engagement with the platform.

Forbes called Twitter’s decision to remove free access a “cash grab” that will make Twitter a less enjoyable space, with the potential loss of fun bots like @FoxesEveryHour, which just tweets photos of foxes. That bot tweeted to confirm that it will stop operating on February 9, saying, “I don’t earn anything with this bot so I can’t afford to pay, sorry. I will try to find a solution/alternative to this.”

Twitter’s paid basic tier is likely targeting bigger developers accessing the Twitter API to support commercial projects. Those developers will need to evaluate whether the cost—whatever it ends up being—is justified to continue running services.

Meanwhile, users like reporter Alex Goldman have already begun mourning the impending loss of beloved bots, including bots that tweet everything from Boggle games to randomly generated ASCII night skies.

4 Likes