Elon Musk offers to “buy 100% of Twitter” for $43 billion

3 Likes

Good luck actually proving he did something illegal there, or that the investor has standing. But, more legal action bumps up Musk’s cost for the whole exercise at least…

4 Likes

After a brutal month for Tesla stock, Elon Musk will no longer fund his Twitter buyout by borrowing against his Tesla ownership stake.

In a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, Musk announced the expiration of a series of margin loans against Tesla stock, which had been included as part of his original financing plan to acquire Twitter. As part of the announcement, Musk committed to providing an additional $6.25 billion in equity financing, bringing his total commitment to $33.5 billion.

4 Likes

What does this even mean to those of us here on the ground?

To me, a stock market is where you buy the things in which you lock up folks like Elon Musk.

4 Likes

I’m by no means an expert. But, from what I gather, a large chunk of the money he intended to use was from loans that were based on the value of Tesla stock. When the value of that stock nosedived, that made those loans difficult to maintain, so he’s been forced to find new financing sources to take up the shortfall.

3 Likes

No skin off my nose. This kind of thing may’s well be fiction, it’s just so far removed from my life and so many others who’d be better served by having this guy taxed up the wazoo and having the money go into social programs that actually and consistently help us.

IMNSHO, he wants the attention as much as Trump and mass shooters. And he’s being very well-served.

2 Likes

Elon Musk has a “right not to consummate” his acquisition of Twitter and a “right to terminate the merger agreement,” according to a letter from his lawyers to the Twitter general counsel Vijaya Gadde sent Monday morning.

Yeah, if he tries to do that while weaseling out of the termination fee he agreed to, things are going to get messy.

7 Likes

If you read it as “right not to have sexual relations with in order to seal the deal,” it’s much funnier.

3 Likes

Wasn’t this a Big Bang Theory episode? C’mon Sheldon, be human for once.

4 Likes

It’s always time to dunk on Elon.

3 Likes

More fun for Elon Musk…

…but I wouldn’t expect much to come out of it aside from an excuse to pop up some popcorn:

4 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes

Hahahahahahahaha!

3 Likes

To add to the laughter

6 Likes

Ho-ho, that’s rich!

3 Likes

From the article:

We’re left with two possibilities. Either Musk doesn’t think he can do the job he promised at Twitter, and he’s not the world-changing force he’s been made out to be. Or, he was lying about the kinds of lofty ideals and visions that built his companies and his image.
What kind of man trolls the world about a better future?

He’s the richest man in the world. Capitalism rewards pretending to care about things far more than actually caring about things, when it rewards anything resembling caring at all.

2 Likes

Some highlights from what looks like a good thread about this:

6 Likes

“…we mere Twitter users.” right?

1 Like
5 Likes