Firefox 57 Lands, Faster Than Ever - And Power Users Fire Back

Build a time machine, or use the jDownloader2 program. Probably build a time machine first…

1 Like

I haven’t thought of DownThemAll since days of yore.

I don’t know when I stopped installing it or why I haven’t missed it.

1 Like

I wonder if DTA belongs to an age when all content was new and amazing. Personally I feel glutted with content now.

2 Likes

I feel glutted with stuff I don’t need, but starved of stuff I do need.

It doesn’t help that search engines return results that don’t include my search terms.

3 Likes

Are there any standalone programs that offer the same functionality? I only use it once a year or so, but on those occasions it saves me from literally thousands of *click*, Save As…actions.

Or would it be worth developing DownThemAll into a standalone program?

1 Like

So much this.

Since were in a FF thread, I admit that FF has been my Tertiary browser for a while, but I keep it configured to save no history so I can get a “clean” search easily when I am questioning my results from Google on my Chrome instance.

Amazing the results you don’t get when your browser is second guessing what you want.

4 Likes

The cookies on you PC are enough. They know who you are and what you want

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s the cookies or any of the tracking. DuckDuckGo has the same bug, worse than Google.

1 Like

DDG just isn’t a great Search Engine.

There, I said it.

5 Likes

Point taken, but how do you fair on https://panopticlick.eff.org/

2 Likes

Here! Here! Fuck Third Parties.

8 Likes

I tend to feel the same way, but still have a few desktop programs that use java. And there are probably more machines running java than there are people in the world now, it being so common in mobile devices and embedded stuff. I wouldn’t hook it to a browser though.

When I’ve wanted to mirror a site or download a ton of stuff, I used wget. It’s rather command-liney, so definitely not for everyone, but pretty easy to just point it at a URL and say “download everything that’s linked”.

5 Likes

Ah ha; I was skimming a bit and didn’t notice that was a standalone(ish) program.

1 Like

wget and curl are definitely my go-to programs for downloading like that.

They’re also extremely handy if I have any specific concerns about possible malicious content on the URL I’m pulling from. (not quite as handy for non-specific concerns, since that would cover pretty much any place, but if a specific URL looks dodgy then there’s nothing like pulling it from the command line and opening in a text editor…)

4 Likes

But… but… The Computer is your friend!

4 Likes

And after a few days using it back to chrome as it is a MEMORY PIG compared to chrome.
Seriously. 1.7GB of memory used by Firefox compared to 200MB of the same tabs open in Chrome.

6 Likes

That’s really odd… I just checked, and on my system, despite having been running for days with huge numbers of tabs open, mine is sitting around 250 - 300MB memory in use on two different systems. Before the update, I would usually see it around 1 - 2G, with all the same tabs open (yeah, I’m a tab packrat), so it’s not a difference there.

3 Likes

The only add on so far is Ublock which may be the problem with the new framework. But both here and BBS were hanging on reloads with FF and it took minutes for FF to close out all the processes.

4 Likes

I haven’t used ublock… possibly an issue with it?

For a more concrete example… on one of my systems I currently have three normal windows and a private window open, with 72 total tabs that I’ve verified are all loaded, and I haven’t restarted since the update… and I’m seeing 370MB usage. I’ve got Adblock Plus and NoScript as my only active addons currently.

(This actually does shock me… usually after 24 - 48 hours running, firefox would have grown to that 1 - 2G range. I usually only had to completely restart it due to my system slowing down every week or so, but that was still too often for me)

2 Likes

Bizzaro I restated and now it is at 250ishMB and hovering… I wonder if there is a slow leak happening… and I am not in the mood to start perf logs on my personal PC.

you edited just as I posted. yeah I tend to leave it running while the I just lock my PC overnight. That could be it. Never had anything like that with chrome though.

4 Likes