Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

My husband and I are both in need for sizing our wedding rings down. His slipped off his finger while playing with our daughter in the yard. At sun down.

16 Likes

In the meantime, wrap some string around the bands in one section that can sit comfortably on the underside of your finger.

13 Likes

And last couple of weeks, actually.

So I’ve been on a new drug (Forteo) for about two months now, for corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. It’s supposed to actually build bone. I have to inject myself nightly. The novelty of that wore off pretty quickly, but it’s really no big deal. Not even painful, really.

But the main side effect is driving me crazy. It’s causing random, deep, aching pain in my hips, legs, shoulders, and various other places. It’s a known side effect, but all my attempts to track down why it hurts have failed. I figure the drug’s probably activating pain sensors in the bone for some reason. People with bone cancer have terrible pain for a number of known reasons – e.g., acidity caused by cancer cells. I don’t think I have cancer (the stuff has caused cancer in rats, at really high doses, but not in people. So far :worried:), but there must be some mechanism going on that’s causing the pain. All those extra osteoblasts creating new bone material?

People can only be on it for a year or two, thank goodness. I hope I get a payoff after this.

13 Likes

Remember growing pains? You may just have figured out why.

13 Likes

70% of patients who go off Arimidex (a cancer medicine) do so because of the bone pain you’ve described. I don’t know what the scientific explanation is, but it’s excruciating. I sincerely hope your body gets accustomed to the medication and stops reacting like that.

13 Likes

I lost my job today, along with 5 other people at my company.

I’d been there for nearly 8 years.

This isn’t my first rodeo, but looking for a job is definitely on my Murtaugh list.

23 Likes

I’m sorry. That’s awful. Best of luck with the job search.

12 Likes

Things are going badly with my Dad. You probably won’t see me around much for the next few days.

21 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope his condition improves.

15 Likes

I’m really sorry you’re going through that.

11 Likes

Take it easy. I hope things turn out for the best. You and your dad are in my thoughts.

9 Likes

Dammit. Love to your dad and you.

10 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. We’re thinking of you. :hugs:

7 Likes

I hope something wonderful comes your way. Change is hard.

10 Likes

(((Hug)))

10 Likes

This… sums it up for me.

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/2019-03-27-childress?cid=trend_right_a

And this one…

https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Great-Shame-of-Our/239148

7 Likes

This new drug I’m on, Forteo, has so many side effects I had to stop unilaterally over the weekend. Tomorrow I will call the doctor to find a substitute. Side effects include

• Fever
  • Chills
  • Severe back pain
  • Aches just about everywhere else (especially hips & shoulders)
  • Nausea & lack of appetite
  • Stabbing pains in both hands

The fever/chills are new, a couple hours after injecting it. This stopped once I stopped the med. The back pain has been there off and on, but the last few days has been constant and quite severe, requiring Vicodin (can’t take NSAIDs). And sessions with the heating pad. And hot baths.

Forteo was introduced in 2002. I should have taken my own advice and never accepted any medicine that hasn’t been on the market for 30 years . . . .

14 Likes
8 Likes

Dad’s worse. Kidneys and lungs are failing, he’s on dialysis and a ventilator. The infection where his peg tube was hasn’t responded to about 10 different antibiotics. And at some point, they think he had a stroke, as he’s not truly conscious or responsive. So my aunt (his sister) and I had to make some decisions today. Dad’s on a do-not-resuscitate order and will not receive new treatments. It’s about keeping him comfortable now until he’s ready to leave us.

I am… Can’t describe it… but I’m hanging in there.

Thanks to all who’ve sent Likes, good wishes and support… it is dearly appreciated. I probably won’t be on the boards much in the next few days.

25 Likes

Sorry to hear.

Virtual hugs and know we’re all here for you. Take care.

8 Likes