Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

I had this the other day - you need to make sure Location services are on for that. It’s easy to turn off to save battery (occasional powering-up of Wi-fi and GPS radios). I’m pretty sure that the phone finder app ‘beacons’ when it realises the battery is about dry (“Hello Google servers, I’m about to shut down, but here’s my location”), but [If I recall correctly] ironically can’t turn location services back on without user intervention. :smirk: Security and privacy and all that.

4 Likes

Yep. If I’m home, I don’t need location services so it’s off. If I’m somewhere else, I want to conserve the battery so it’s off. I only turn it on while traveling from A to B. Might come in handy if I dropped my phone out of a moving vehicle or while walking and somehow didn’t notice(?). Otherwise, I’d need access to the phone to turn it on, so it’s one of those things that is mostly only useful if you don’t need it.

4 Likes

Yup. The other thing is that knowing the location (it’s in your home!) doesn’t necessarily help with finding it. I’ve only got a one-bedroom apartment and I still lose stuff all the time – stuff I know must be around somewhere, because I know I came through the door with it, like sunglasses.

8 Likes

Even Google’s not smart enough to tell you that the sunglasses are on top of your head, because you pushed them up when you came inside. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Welp. M$ Office just decided to not be activated anymore and my old product key isn’t working. This is frustrating. I blame the admin who installed the enterprise version on my personal computer as “a favor.”

Edit ed to add: Any advice about what to do is welcome, I’m not above reinstalling & paying for a new key but I’m also not above eye patch & “argh” solutions cuz I’m kind of broke.

10 Likes

One free and legal thing to try: install LibreOffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

How well it works for you will depend on how well the conversion engine can handle your MS-Office files, but at minimum it might work as a stopgap measure while you figure out a long-term solution. At best you might be able to switch over long-term.

That’s what I did. I recently took an on-line course, and no-one in my group realised I wasn’t using Excel, even when I was sharing my screen.

The word processor is better for some things and worse for other things.

The presentation software can only import basic PPTs well, but does all right on its own.

I haven’t used the Math app much, but I like the Draw app.

Good luck.

14 Likes

Three ideas that work for me:

1. Meet a friend who has a working version of Office for coffee
  2. Google Docs
  3. The FedEx Store
5 Likes

I use LibreOffice all the time for work. I like it better than Office, especially the later versions.

I use it a lot, and like it. It’s more of less like LaTEX syntax

8 Likes

That’s where being able to make the phone ring is useful. :wink:

But seriously, My pebble watch always carries a small ‘remote control’ app (I’m a geek, it’s my job), and being able to tell the phone to make a unique noise continuously until I find it (no kicking over to answering service) is, well, very very useful.

The android phone locator app also does this from the web interface.

6 Likes

today’s debilitating upper body pain is my wrist which went twang painfully while pruning the thyme yesterday evening. i’m tired of stretching my left hand enough to do caps, so enjoy the nod to archie and mahitabel while it lasts. my right hand’s on ice as is my gin and tonic

11 Likes

Nocaps is a style choice among creatives. :slight_smile:
But seriously, ouch - hope the rest and medications work.

6 Likes

lol, thanks, me too, monday comes around too fast for aspirin and booze

5 Likes

And all is well. The fire was successfully fought off, she returned safely to an unscathed house, and her cat is safe. Whew!

(Other communities, alas, were not so lucky.)

22 Likes

I think I’ve driven past your moms house before. I hope all is well.

When I moved to CA I had my ‘red card’ for forest fire fighting, had worked a few controlled burns on the east coast. My first moments in CA were me driving in from oregon on a state highway, through a fire on the Smith River, and I was humbled when I saw a mountain burning. I also happened to stop by a field station on my way by just too see if I was driving into the worst of it, or not - and stayed for 4 hours making sandwiches for the firefighters and not telling anyone that I had a red card.

11 Likes

Summer cold. Thought I had it already. Guess not.

nose blowing sound emoji :trumpet:

10 Likes

That’s is wonderful. Did she have any idea while gone that her house and cat were in danger?

6 Likes

nope. That’s what happens when you spend time in the wilderness for a weeklong hiking trip outside of cell phone range.

And when you see smoke on the horizon, it’s hard to connect with a specific place.

9 Likes

Good to hear. That would have been painful for her to know her house and cat were at risk and yet be in the middle of nowhere with nothing actionable to do except worry.

5 Likes

And now I have the slogan for my new sand paper wallpaper.

7 Likes

Tnat could make a great setting for a music video.

3 Likes