Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Has it all got a bit Shakespearean? Something rotten in the State of Denmark? Uneasy lies the bum that sits on the throne?

7 Likes

I worked for an international organization everyone has heard of, and was hired by people who actually knew me, so I trusted them when they said ā€œpaperwork takes forever here because of the bureaucracyā€ and started working without the proper contract in place. Three months later, when I was in the HR department to figure out what was going on, they said, literally: why should we buy the cow when weā€™re getting the milk for free? The HR officer called me ā€œstupidā€ for starting without having everything nailed down first. She then offered me half the rate Iā€™d been quoted at hire, and at a significantly lower classification (specifically, general service rather than professional, which was a deal-breaker). I walked that day, knowing Iā€™d never be paid for the previous 3 months of work.

Do not assume that just because itā€™s a big company, or a well-known one, that they wonā€™t screw you.

17 Likes

My endoscopy was an utter failure. I couldnā€™t keep breathing with it in my throat. Three tries and now my throat hurts like hell.

16 Likes

Update: I tried to convince my boss to convert the show to readerā€™s theater. She was reluctant because for some reason she was convinced that this would somehow involve more effort for everyone involved, so it looked like that wasnā€™t going to happen.

During the meeting, where we discussed this and other things, she got a phone call. The caller told her that the twelve-year old boy playing Nibs would have to drop out of the show because, and as Dave Barry was wont to say ā€œI am not making this up,ā€ he was suffering complications from a circumcision he had received that morning.

So, weā€™re doing it as readerā€™s theater.

And I may do shots during the showā€¦

14 Likes

What is readerā€™s theatre?

2 Likes

There are different variants, but the kind Iā€™m planning on doing involves everyone being seated on stage at the same time, and standing and reading from their scripts as needed. Frankly, Peter Pan is a little bit of an unusual choice for readerā€™s theatre, especially since I had previously cut the show down and tried to put focus on the visual aspects of the show. I will cheat a little and put certain bits of the show on their feet, such as the crocodile, Tinkerbellā€™s near-death throes and probably the kidnapping of the children. Hookā€™s duels with Pan, however, will be replaced with rock-paper-scissors done at our seats.

11 Likes

Not a penis-haver myself, but my understanding is if youā€™re old enough to walk and talk, the procedure is very painful and you need time to recover?

Iā€™d usually say ā€œbreak a legā€ but at this point I donā€™t want to give anyone involved any ideas.

13 Likes

I havenā€™t updated in a whileā€¦ things are not great.

Dad has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. We donā€™t yet know exactly how bad it is, as there are tests they want to do on an outpatient basis, for insurance reasons. (One of the doctors has implied itā€™s pretty bad but wonā€™t share any information until the results of the tests.) Dadā€™s been given an injection port for eventual chemo and radiation, and a feeding tube in his stomach since he really canā€™t get enough food into himself by eating.

Iā€™ve been preparing paperwork to apply for a Family Leave to take care of him, since the treatments theyā€™re talking about will be Monday-to-Friday and heā€™s likely to need help while at home. Heā€™s been making slow-but-steady progress, but I kind of figured heā€™d be in the hospital for a few more days, and maybe in rehab after that.

Suprise! One of his cast-of-a-thousand doctors came in tonight saying he might go home tomorrow or Monday. Ummm, as much as Iā€™d love to have him home, I was hoping for maybe a little more warning to make sure Iā€™m off work to get him home and have the house 100% ready for him?

I donā€™t want to sound selfish. Iā€™m truly glad heā€™s improving so much. But one of the few things thatā€™s given me comfort in any of this is that heā€™s got doctors and nurses there to take care of him and manage his pain (heā€™s been on morphine, and more, much of this time.) Iā€™m scared to bring him home. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not up to taking care of him, especially if something goes wrong. And with all the pain and stress heā€™s been crankier than usual (and at 73 years old thatā€™s pretty damn cranky.) He is NOT going to be a good little patient for me, guaranteed. Hopefully whatever instructions they give me before they release him will make the difference and lend me some confidence. But right now I feel like I should be gratefulā€¦ and I canā€™t stop worrying.

And as much as Iā€™ve been trying to keep my boss updated this gives her very little time to adjust the schedule. That ought to be the least of my worries right now! I feel even more selfish for worrying about it. But I do worry about it, I canā€™t help it. Too damn many unknowns, and things move either glacially slow or rocky-rapids fast. And this is only the beginningā€¦ itā€™s a marathon, not a sprint.

Iā€™m not quite in it alone. My aunt on my Dadā€™s side has been supportive and a source of comfort. My aunts and uncle on my motherā€™s side have reached out tooā€¦ but theyā€™ve been busy themselves, as my grandmotherā€™s been in the same hospital this week, getting her gallbladder out. (Sheā€™s doing well, and she should be graduating to Rehab pretty soon. Yay!) Iā€™m the only child, though, so itā€™s going to be my responsibility to care for him through this.

I hope this doesnā€™t sound too whiny. I donā€™t feel like Iā€™m expressing myself very well. Iā€™m just worrying a lot and needed to get some of this off my chest.

And even though this is already way tl;dr, I think Iā€™d like to add one last thingā€¦

23 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this.

I had a friend who had to have surgery; sheā€™s a big girl and her dad is a trim, short guy. Sheā€™s in her early 60ā€™s, her dad is into his 80ā€™s - in good shape, but still, not a spring chicken.

The doctors said, ā€œShe doesnā€™t need an aide.ā€

Uh, how about HE needs an aide because he canā€™t properly care for her.

Why do doctors see patients in isolation and not as part of a family?

I think you are being perfectly honest about your situation and I am so sorry to hear of your dadā€™s diagnosis.

Being a caregiver will wear you down. Feel free to whine here whenever you need to vent.

12 Likes

Thank you so much!

I think it will most likely be okay. My fears are running away with me right now. They will be giving me instruction before he comes home, and thereā€™s been talk of a visiting nurse to check in and help out. Itā€™s just one hell of a responsibilityā€¦ and itā€™s my dadā€™s health at stake. More than anything I want him well again, I want him to beat this. So Iā€™m going to have to be up for this. And while Dadā€™s no spring chicken at 73, the doctors wouldnā€™t be sending him home if they thought he wouldnā€™t do all right there.

Iā€™m definitely going to be looking into some sort of caregiver support groupā€¦ whatever help I can find. The rest of it will be one step at a time.

11 Likes

Our 98 y/o (now 99) neighbour ended up in the hospital after trying to look after his younger sister who has Parkinsonā€™s. Only then was help suggested. And this is in a country where we actually have medical care for average people. I get why privacy reasons lead to thinking of a ā€œsingle patientā€, but I would love to see the resources more advertised and available as ā€œfamily assistanceā€. Familial Caretaker can be a brutal job and deserves more support.

12 Likes

Itā€™s extremely common for the caretaker to burn out and have a major health crisis of their own, which then puts them both into jeopardy. I deal with it a lot as co-chair of the caring committee at my temple.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve always perceived the opposite: doctors always seem to assume there is a large, healthy, not-already-burdened group of family members living nearby who are able to drop everything in an instantā€™s notice and jump into full-time caregiving.

My ex was scheduled for surgery and would have needed two weeksā€™ post-op care. The morning of the surgery, after patient prep, the surgeon came in and said he wasnā€™t going to do the surgery because heā€™d reviewed the notes the night before and decided the symptoms contraindicative.

Iā€™d quit my student temp job two weeks early in the expectation I wouldnā€™t be available ā€“ $1,000 lost wages.

I guess what weā€™re saying boils down to the same thing. Really itā€™s the assumption there are homemakers available.

11 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your dadā€™s diagnosis.

And no, it is not selfish at all to be thinking about the big picture. Youā€™re trying to arrange things so you can be a caregiver.

Remember on planes during the safety announcement, they tell you to put your own air mask on first and then help other people. You canā€™t help the other people if you canā€™t breathe.

I hate to add to your to-do list, but if you can, start finding out what community support is available, and consider asking friends if theyā€™d do spot support too, so you can run errands/get a few hours off when you need it.

11 Likes

That was just what I was going to say: the assumption is that a wife, mother, sister, daughter, or other female relative will drop everything to do 24/7 care.

I once hired a secretary who was excellent but was finding it hard to find a job because a relative fell ill and her family decided SHE should be the one to move in to her auntā€™s home in another state and take care of her for several years before the grandmother died. Itā€™s hard to get back into the work world with a gap like that in your resume, and most potential bosses wonā€™t be impressed by the explanation.

11 Likes

One of the issues with cancer treatment is that there are so many different possible side effects, and thereā€™s no way to know which hundred (or so) are going to be the ones heā€™ll be dealing with. And then whenever one thing is changed, thereā€™ll be a new set of symptoms to deal with. Itā€™s a moving target, so you can only do the best at the moment to try to help. Thatā€™s one reason why having friends-whoā€™ve-been-through-it or a support group at the medical center where heā€™s being treated is crucial: youā€™ll have so many questions the whole time, not just at the beginning.

9 Likes

As far as working goes, Iā€™m going to look into things like Flex Jobs for things I can do at home while heā€™s recovering. Iā€™ve been wanting to get out of retail for a while now, so that might be a step in the right direction for me. Between that and maybe an online class or two to brush up on some skills, it could help my resume for the future.

Iā€™m a little embarrassed for my earlier post. It was written during a low moment. Iā€™m feeling moreā€¦ determined, if not more confident. More information for what the next steps are will help that too. But yes, I definitely need to find some caregiver support. This wonā€™t be easy, but itā€™s a good fight.

And I thank you all for the suggestions and the support! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: Itā€™s pretty overwhelming, but itā€™s great to know Iā€™ve got friends with me in this. It makes a difference!

11 Likes

Let me first say I realize this rant Iā€™m about to launch into isnā€™t in the same league of what is sometimes vented here- I totally understand and Iā€™m not trying to create/imply some sort of equivalence. I just need to get a couple of things off my chest. Stick with me:
My car went to the shop last week for a new air conditioning compressor, oil change, and to have the horn fixed. What I find out is I need new a new CV joint, new engine mounts, a new front lower control arm, new rear shocks, new rear brakes, lost of things lubed and serviced. And a new clutch. And other things.
Ugh.
So I look through their list, and tell them go ahead, but donā€™t do the AC unit, clutch, or rear shocks. I can live without the AC, and I only drive something like 2k miles a year, so the clutch should be fine for a good long while still. And Iā€™ve replaced the rear shocks on this car before, so I can do that (and save ~$500 in the process). Fine.
So they do and I pick up the car a few days later. Costs a bunch, still, but roughly half the original quote. Meanwhile, I order shocks and get ready to do that job.
Yesterday, I go out to mow the lawn. As I fill the riding mowerā€™s gas tank, I notice the fuel line is cracked and pissing gas all over the place. That wonā€™t do. So I drain the gas tank, pull the old line, go buy more line, install the new line, and start mowing (finally). Goes great for 2/3rds of the lawn, and then it starts backfiring and stumbling. Seems to be running too rich. Awesome. So I pull the air filter and manage to clean it enough to finish the lawn (and mark a new one to buy). Lawn gets mowed.
Iā€™ve had two small victories of fixing here, so I dive into the rear shocks on my car.
And the lower mount bolt is totally corroded to the shock itself. Absolutely stuck.
So now my right hand is covered in scratches and cuts and my left forearm is covered in bruises. And the bolt still wonā€™t come out (nor, by the way, will it go back in).
So this morning I get ready to drive my poor broken car (gingerly) to the train station, and I totally manage to back into my sister in lawā€™s car in my driveway. Iā€™d forgotten she stayed at the house last night. Crunch.
Fuck this. Iā€™d really like something I touch to not be a fucking mess.

13 Likes

Just made an appointment to put my long time friend Mason (the cat) down. I am heartbroken, :broken_heart: He is 16 years old and been with me since he was a kitten. My daughter picked him out from the rescue cats being hosted at the pet store. He used to be such a big cat and today he weighs only 5 pounds. He is so weak he can barely walk, but as he is not in any specific pain, we are giving him fluids and letting him rest until my husband can be here to say goodbye.

19 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry.

This gets to me, even as someone who has never owned a pet, and Iā€™m not sure why.

8 Likes