Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Looks like a step back to the bad old days

Note that British football hooligans have had strong links with fascism in the past. I don’t think it was a coincidence that it happened at Brighton and Hove Albion, which is a very LGBT friendly area.

8 Likes

charged with […] being a football spectator failing to comply with a banning order

That’s a very specific and British-sounding crime.

we will work with the police to identify the supporters involved

Supporters…such a positive spin. One must assume it was pronounced with a distinctly disapproving tone.

4 Likes

My car was prowled last night & a window was smashed. Not the worst thing – I don’t keep anything in my car – but I can’t get my window fixed until Monday afternoon & I have to cancel other appointments. Also, I’m going to have to Lyft everywhere because I’m not comfortable parking on the street with a broken window. Also, money I don’t have.

16 Likes

This is something addressable. (Things like this might warrant a thread of their own, it occurs to me.)

If a method to help out could be arranged, I’d kick in. Whatever you’re comfortable with. Let me/us know.

9 Likes

Oh shit. I mistook this for the “Fuck Today” thread.

If @staff could move it, I’d be much obliged.

5 Likes

Moved at @katherine’s request.

6 Likes

I truly appreciate the offer, but I think I can tough this one out. :smiley:

4 Likes

Certainly. Wasn’t sure how serious you were about not being able to cover the cost. I’m uncharacteristically flush this month, and happy to help where I can.

6 Likes

I got in a huge fight with my husband because I forgot to print off two blank calendar pages for him to put inside a notebook. I ended up walking the mile and a half back to my office, printing them, and coming back home. I can’t even summon the civility to try and talk to him about it, or anything else. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe I’ll die angry after 60 years of the silent treatment.

15 Likes

There’s a big project at work, and I’m working on the reports. Well and good. There has been some confusion about exactly how they want the reports delivered (meaning that, right now I need to download them, encrypt them, and send them out manually), but it’s being sorted out.

However, this project has been in testing for months, and I know that I’ve sent everybody involved copies of the reports generated in the test environment.

Now the project has gone live, and they’re complaining that the reports aren’t useful and demanding all sorts of changes. And they want those changes now, not for the next release in February.

And, you know what? Fine. With this project done, I have some free time. They tell me what they want Friday morning, I put my nose to the grindstone, and get a sample report generated for them by the end of Friday, along with a request for feedback.

And now, despite their urgency, they seem in no hurry to give me the feedback I need to commit these changes and put them in for testing.

Not to mention that there would be no urgency if they had just bothered to take a look at the report format and provide feedback during the testing phase!

I mean, seriously. Learning how to parse the input file for the report was a challenge, but with that done, I could make this report stand up and dance a jig if that’s what they needed. Reformatting a report isn’t hard. The more they want changed, the more time and effort it will take to get the chance reviewed and tested, but that’s hardly my problem. My problem is that I can’t even get the reviewing-and-testing phase started until they tell me if the report I’ve created says what they they want it to say.

Come on. I’ve done the hard bits. I’ve responded to their urgency with urgent action. The least they can do is show the same sense of urgency in signing off on the changes (or not) so that it can keep moving forward.

15 Likes

48 hours after Dad finally got released from the hospital, after inpatient chemo and radiation treatments turned into a shingles infection and a little-over-a-month long stay… we’re back in the hospital. Dad was feeling nauseous and very dizzy, so we hit Emergency. It looks like a urinary tract infection, but the EKG was “a little off” so they want to monitor his heart. The doctor was all grave and serious, but, of course, they’re still running tests and can’t say anything definitive. I don’t know if he was trying to tell me something between the lines or not. I am beyond scared.

18 Likes

I feel for you. I’ve dug myself into too many holes by being helpful. Next time make them submit a change request. No-one ever wants to fill in the forms so they only submit them when they actually need it.

Plus - paper trail for the CYA!

7 Likes

Hopefully everything will turn out ok.

7 Likes

Thinking of you both and hoping for the best.

7 Likes

I had this problem some years ago. The user committee basically wanted a report that did everything without considering the compute time, and every time that they got a report they changed the specification bitched and whined.
So eventually I got a project raised to produce a general report creator for the data set. An enthusiastic young programmer was assigned and spent several months on it, but at the end it worked. Think Crystal Reports but for one data set and with a bit of built in intelligence so it wouldn’t return too obvious garbage.
The programmer left for another better paid job, having shown them the work he had done on the report design.
The users…never used it because they didn’t have the necessary focus actually to decide what they wanted, now it was in their own hands to do it.

6 Likes

Thank you all for the support! :sparkling_heart::purple_heart::heartpulse:

Dad seems better today already. We both dozed on and off last night, he’s gotten antibiotics, and he’s more aware of his surroundings.

We are still in Emergency, waiting for a bed to open up where they can monitor his heart, though to my uneducated eyes his vitals have been pretty steady. But this has been a roller-coaster ride, and it’s wearing on both of us.

(I ran up to the cafeteria and grabbed some black cherry Greek yogurt, a bagel with cream cheese, and coffee. It helped!)

16 Likes

I’m so sorry! I hope Nightflyer Dad is going to be okay… Keep us up to date! Have a GG hug!

gghugs

10 Likes

I never know how to reply to these posts but I don’t want you to think I replied to something else and ignored yours. Yes, it’s hell when this happens. It’s happened to me, I suspect it will happen again sometime in the next few years. You have my sympathy. But all we can do is hope that modern medicine works.

7 Likes

Thinking of you and your dad.

giphy-downsized (20)

12 Likes

Our cat, Sulfur, died sometime in the night while I was sleeping.

He’d been sick for a few days, and we had an appointment with the vet scheduled for this morning.

My kid is on a sleepover and doesn’t know yet.

Today is going to suck.

23 Likes