Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

In sorry about the bar. No tumors - yeah!

10 Likes

He missed it by 2%. If it had been more, I’d say he should wait and do it again in July, since I could take the kids and clear out for June and give him some peace to study. But it was so close.

11 Likes

Best wishes and speedy recoveries to everybody who’s ailing-- really seems like something is going around. Both my grandma and my dad are in the hospital now.

Grandma’s got gastrointestinal issues, and it’s worrisome, but I haven’t heard that it’s serious… except that she’s 90 years old, and that makes everything more serious. Dad’s case is… complicated. He went in with a bladder infection, which is clearing up. But they also found more tumors, worse than the last two times. They’re talking about taking out the bladder, which is a long and involved surgery, but not for maybe three or four weeks yet. (The whole idea is terrifying.) In the meantime, he wants to come home, and that could happen as soon as today. Or so Dad thinks, because he’s got his hopes up, even though there’s nothing officially in the system to confirm it. And the longer it takes, the more frustrated he gets… joy. Fuck cancer, for real.

17 Likes

Goddamn, that surgery sounds awful. Hope your dad can avoid it somehow. May they both get better soon!

(Bioengineers have to get on the ball with more artificial organs, dang it.)

9 Likes

I don’t think they can avoid it. They were able to scrape tumors the first two times, but this time it’s just too big. They can take part of an intestine to replace it, and he’ll have to wear a bag afterwards… if it gets us off the tumor-go-round and restores better urinary function, then it’s necessary. But-- the doc says there’s a 5% chance he might not make it through the operation and a minimum 25% chance of complications (which Dr. Google says may be higher for his age bracket, plus he’s still very underweight.)

On the plus side-- Grandma was released from the hospital today and is home safe and sound. Yay for that!

17 Likes

I’m sorry. That is a lot for you as a support person to be going through.

13 Likes

Fuck today already (it’s 8:30am here):

• My wife’s brand new iPhone bricked itself and won’t turn on or respond to anything.
  • Power lines on our street went down and my kids’ school busses can’t get through to pick them up
  • Our new car still hasn’t come and so my wife is still driving her old iffy car
  • My boss asked for a meeting with me one on one- it’s likely nothing, but my anxiety is spiked regardless (and that has other unpleasant consequences for me health wise, regardless)
  • I have to hike to the other campus for a later meeting today, which is always a pain and makes me anxious about being able to make the train this evening.
  • I now have to coordinate between the surgical team that’s going to be doing a procedure on my 7 year old and her orthodontist. There isn’t currently agreement on which teeth need what done.

/rant off

18 Likes

Yet another day feeling fatigued and exhausted after a bout with Crohn’s disease, or more accurately, the after-effects of 5 decades’ worth. This is happening more and more often the older I get. This time I had to bail out of a lunch date.

Really gets in the way. And feeling like I want to sleep for a year isn’t useful either.

17 Likes

A dear friend of mine has a nasty habit of inviting friends to a party that doesn’t exist. At my place. And then said dead friend never shows up. So, uh, I had to improvise…

Fuck today.

16 Likes

Well, I should hope not…

Unless it’s a Hallowe’en party, which it’s about the right time of year for.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Because of the synagogue shooting, the fucking day after bombs were delivered to Toadstool’s enemies.

We went for early voting, which worked beautifully, but I was thinking of all the people in this country who are disenfranchised.

Afterward, we went in search of some hot tea. We tried a small tea place opened recently, but it was only for bubble tea.

Then we went to Starbucks but it was so full there was no place to sit down.

Then we tried a smoothie place that did indeed have hot tea. So we ordered. Then I noticed the TV on the wall, showing CNN and constant coverage of the shooting. I also noticed the place had kind of an unpleasant smell.

We got our tea and sat down as far away as possible. But I could still hear. CNN then went over to a Toadstool rally, with him yapping about “unity,” as if he hadn’t been fomenting violence for years. So fucking hypocritical. Then a pastor came on, whom I ignored, but then a rabbi came on. I couldn’t believe it. His words were initially OK, but then he praised the 'Stool for “bringing us all together like he always has.” The guy is a fucking disgrace to his congregation.

Then I recognized the smell in the place. It was body odor of the people who worked there. Or maybe it came from the POTUS over the smellevision. I got up and left.

14 Likes

Bologna is a lovely, lovely city and I really like it there. Unfortunately, it turns out I’m super allergic to the mosquitoes:

(Blurred out because ewww, these bites are fucking nasty)

The doctor has given me antihistamines, antibiotics and cortisone, which have reduced the itchiness from “HOLY SHIT, MY ARMS ARE ON FIRE” to “hey, I bet this is what leprosy feels like.”

FUCK those little bloodsucking bastards.

19 Likes

I had a wisdom tooth taken out today because of resorption of the outer surface. The reason this happens is unknown; some inflammatory process maybe. They have extract it before the tooth cracks or falls apart, which is REALLY painful. The worst part was the anesthetic injection but even that wasn’t too bad. It took, I swear, only two minutes for the dentist to get the tooth out, and that was just kind of an unpleasant pressure rather than pain. Now it aches some, but isn’t too bad. It wasn’t impacted, and the roots were all parallel and not splayed out like the legs of an office chair, so that made it easier.

The weird thing is that this often happens in cats, and our cat Talia had to have three teeth taken out last week for the same reason.

I really should put this under “Meh Today” but we don’t have a thread like that. I’ve had worse days.

17 Likes

Brief update: Dad’s surgery is tomorrow. He’s scared, but stoic, figuring “what’s gonna happen will happen.” I’m just very, very scared.

20 Likes

Hope all goes well.

Take care.

11 Likes

I think the local radio station nailed it. They said it as a joke, but to me, it’s a mood.

Want the scariest costume of 2018? Dress up as 2018.

Just anxiety, depression, and all the attendant fun of all that shit. Especially Halloween. I ought to love this day. Instead, it’s when my Imposter Syndrome kicks into overdrive.

This year, everything else has made it worse.

16 Likes

This meeting should have been able to be wrapped up in 15 minutes, but is going on an hour and fifteen due to people not being able to read simple instructions, perform tasks ahead of time that were spelled out in small words and one person not having phone plan that gets text messages and so sat at the TFA requirement for three days instead of A) getting a plan that handles TFA or B) asking someone who has been hovering over them trying to get this set up.

Now I have to sit here while other fires are burning because no one else I’d doing their goddamned job.

I am so close to screaming IRL instead of in my head.

So, how’s y’all’s Monday?

15 Likes

Well.

I actually had my database conversion program ready on time for User Acceptance testing. It was looking iffy for a while there. It ran on time in UA, and although it ran into a few problems, most of it was resource allocation limits in UA, which wouldn’t affect the Production run. So, I’m feeling pretty good about all of this.

And then they tell me, in addition to the UA environments, I need to update all of the other testing environments (about a dozen, each taking about an hour to run), and give me only a few days in which to complete this task. “Fine,” I think. “I just won’t get anything else accomplished for a week.”

And then, after the first couple of test environments have been updated, I get the resourcing people on my back saying that my jobs shouldn’t be run during working hours. So, in addition to the rest of my already-packed weekend (first-aid instruction, laundry, filing and/or shredding several bags and a few stacks of paper), I also had to do overtime in order to get all of these testing environments converted.

Suffice it to say that I haven’t had much time for NaNoWriMo. Although I did manage to make egg nog Friday night, and waffles Sunday morning, because sometimes creature comforts are what keep you going.

Edit to add: So, to answer your question, my Monday is “exhausted.” I’m normally a little lost for finding the right words when speaking aloud, but I am barely able to verbalize coherent sentences this morning.

13 Likes

We (and the rest of central Mississauga) had a power outage this morning.

Our phones still can’t receive outside calls.

ETA: Bonus! I went to the boardroom I’d reserved for a meeting in the afternoon, and there was no table and no screen in it – just the chairs were left. So I sat there giggling to myself over what an incredibly shitty day it had been until the rest of the attendees showed up so we could find a functioning room together.

12 Likes