Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Thanks, all! Pre-op went fine. Surgery is on Tuesday bright and early, so I’ll be around til then. It’s an outpatient thingie, so I’ll be home by early afternoon, I hope.

16 Likes

Hugs! That sounded scary and I’m glad you’re okay.

12 Likes

Hahaha! That’s what they said about mine, and I was loopy as a goonybird when I was done. Make sure the person helping you has you set up for some post-op snacks when you get home.

ETA: Waking up from anesthesia, I saw the doctors huddled together much like the scene in Catch Me If You Can, and when they said something positive about my recovery, I piped up, “I concur!”
They laughed and then remarked on my anesthesia stupor, and I replied, “Indubitably!”

13 Likes

Yeah, my sweetie is on the ball with that kind of thing. He made a list of stuff for the day of. He’s a trooper that one! Before Tuesday, we have to clean the house, put up the tree, and prepare for my daughter’s b-day party Saturday (sweet 16, which is apparently the mad max: fury road birthday, since that’s what she wants to watch - which cars, makes sense, I guess). The holiday season is going to be a wild ride this year.

Hopefully, I’ll say something as cute when I wake up from surgery!

14 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re out of danger.

I’m sure this is stupidly obvious, but had you thought of switching from oils to acrylics? I know it’s a different technique, and acrylics dry too darn fast, and you’d have to buy new materials, but . . . I guess there’s a chance the turpenoids and so on are contributing to your breathing problems.

I’m recalling my mom who did some work in oils. When she and my dad moved into a senior building, she had to switch to acrylics because of the fumes.

12 Likes

I had considered that, and I use a fan and pour out very little product.

Here in TJ — asthma, sinusitis, nasal polyps, you name it…is a big problem for much of the population. I suspect that my frail Scot-Irish ancestral biology is a major contributor to my sensitivity. The pulmonologist said as much back in 2015.

I might have a shot at an acrylic work soon. One of our friends has suggested they might be looking for one for a humid environment like a bathroom, and I think acrylics might vent off less.

ETA: Under the influence of the prednisone now, and feeling that familiar invincible feeling. I suspect a long painting jag coming on by the morning.

14 Likes

Not today, exactly, but still. A couple of days ago, I walked downstairs to the smell of an electrical fire. The kitchen was filled with smoke, but I couldn’t tell where it was coming from. So, I unplugged everything. And freaked out a little bit.

If I had not unplugged it, the breaker probably would have tripped. It probably would not have burned down the house, if I had not been here. I’m still glad I was here, and could reach the plug.

Long story short, we’re buying a new refrigerator,.

19 Likes

Merry Christmas, amirite?

12 Likes

Oh shit… That doesn’t bode well for me, either.

11 Likes

All hail Imperator Furiosa!

10 Likes

So today, I drove into the hospital that I’m having surgery at, as I noted above, and the short highway I use to get into town was not a great place to be. I sat on it on the way in for about 30 minutes on a 6 mile stretch for a car fire. On the way back, there was a wreck that was starting to back up both sides, and there was some poor guy lying on the side of the road.

15 Likes

She loves that movie!

5 Likes

Aye, welcome to the club. Pbbbft.

9 Likes

Holy fucking shitballs!

7 Likes

Our fridge took up smoking once. Pretty scary, till we tracked it down. No real smoke, just that unmistakable burning smell of appliance hell. Five years and a month after we bought it. Guess how long the guarantee was for.

13 Likes

Bright side is that the old one lasted 15 years. Which, the sales person said was basically unheard of anymore and that we should plan on a 7 year life for this one.

13 Likes

Fuuuuck, it happened again. At 2 am.

Couldn’t get to sleep due to wheezing, but temperatures dropped to a certain level that made things impossible to reverse without

1. turning on the space heater in my swiss-cheese room to heat the entire neighborhood, and
  2. trying to brew some tea to help open up my bronchial tubes enough to get the emergency medication in.

So, this being Tijuana, guess what happens?
The power goes out.

So I’m standing in my bedroom IN THE DARK in severe respiratory distress, trying to figure out what to do.

I don’t have the breath to go out and fuck with the rat’s nest and turn the electricity back on. I don’t think I have the time to call 911, and I certainly don’t have the money for the emergency room.
OH RIGHT, the phone works on the cable, which is down because the box is powered by electricity.

I was down to 70 pesos, the price of an emergency inhaler, the one I bought today completely spent on bad attempts at using. The same 70 pesos I was going to buy cat food with because their food just ran out. But I have to live if they’re going to eat, unless they eat me. But that’s not very productive.

So standing in the dark, I decide I’ll walk down the hill with no breath reserves to get an inhaler.
I get to the pharmacy, about to pass out, and see an announcement on the door stating they’re closed for inventory. Ugh.

Ok, so there’s another a kilometer away. Maybe I can make there. I do, with three rest stops on the way. Wheezing and sweating, I buy my inhaler and use up 4 or 5 doses just to try and inhale 2.
I get back home, still wheezing, and fiddle with the electrical rat’s nest, and get it to work.

Heater on, tea brewed. I’m in better shape, but still wheezing, now completely out of money, and no further on my paintings than yesterday.
I’ll gather my x-ray tomorrow and see the doctor at 8 am, but I really don’t know what I can do with no money.

I really need to get the hell out of here. I have a room offered in Detroit, just no way to get there with my stuff.

18 Likes

Shit. As you know, it’s really bad to have a serious flare-up so soon after heavy-duty treatment. Your asthma is dangerously uncontrolled. How to help? I’m fairly broke myself and facing almost 4 weeks with no work at all becuase of mandatory christmas/new year shutdowns (yay. So helpful). But can I transfer you $50? Keep breathing, keep breathing.

13 Likes

Yes, this is very disconcerting. With how rapidly it’s progressed, I think I might qualify for disability if being back in the states doesn’t change things.

50 bucks would feed the cats and buy some medication - both regular maintenance and maybe some Dexametasone (3-day cycle) for the nebulizer. I’m receiving a Xmas present sometime in the next few days. If it’s money, I can send it right back.

10 Likes

Can you post information about how to send you funds?

11 Likes