Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

It looks like I’ve got one tooth extra.

The roots of one of my wisdom teeth has erupted through the gum. I’ve had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted about thirty years ago. Weird, but apparently it happens.

9 Likes

Ouch. Hope it goes smoothly.

A friend in college had four ankles.

5 Likes

Quadrankles?

6 Likes

Only till he had the extra two surgically removed. Eeesh.

5 Likes

How in the shit?

:question:

7 Likes

10 Likes

I had two full sets of wisdom teeth. Had to go through the hell of getting them extracted twice - once in my early teens and again in my early 20s. To top it all off, the second time half of them were impacted. Ugh.

12 Likes

One above and a little to the rear of the other. Weird. Could be it was a bony growth of some sort but it sure looked like an extra ankle.

6 Likes

It’s an accessory navicular bone, apparently.

And on the subject of ankles, I only have one working ankle. My left ankle is dislocated, and ankles aren’t even supposed to dislocate.

I don’t know which I’m looking forward to least: ankle surgery, or getting my wisdom teeth extracted for the second time.

7 Likes

That makes a lot more sense – he still had to have it removed or shaved or something.

Geez, a dislocated ankle sounds painful. Can it be relocated? Can you walk?

And speaking of fuck today, my GI tract was taking no prisoners today.

8 Likes

It wasn’t at first, but it’s getting worse over time. It still doesn’t really hurt that much, considering, but it is very unstable.

Only with surgery.

Yes, which is why I’m reluctant to have it fixed. It pops in and out of joint every time I move it, but I can still walk and run on it. Believe it or not, I’ve had this for at least 20 years. It’s a repetitive stress injury. The main problems are that it’s unstable, which can lead to worse injuries, and that the tendon is being ground against the bones every time I move my foot.

9 Likes

That sounds painful! I hope you can find a solution.

I don’t get cramps while sleeping very often, but 2 or 3 times it’s a bad one on the side of my lower leg, that pulls my foot to the side to the point that my ankle dislocates. It’s horribly painful. I have to jump out of bed and stand on it to snap it back into place.

6 Likes

My left shoulder is a bit like that- it dislocates very, very easily (and has for as long as I can remember…). Not even painful, really, at this point.
Surgery would let them tighten things and (supposedly) prevent it from happening- but as long as I keep up with lifting weights (and thereby stabilize the shoulder with muscle), it’s totally fine.
Is something like that an option for you? I’d do almost any amount of PT before surgery.

8 Likes

I’ve run five full marathons. On a dislocated ankle.

I definitely think it’s destabilizing, or at least not as stable as it once was.

9 Likes

My father had to have part of his bowel removed last night, in an emergency surgery. He came out of anesthesia after about 9 hours and freaked out because he was on a ventilator. He has emphysema so getting enough oxygen is super important. He’s in the ICU and might have to stay for a week.

Reality feels unreal at the moment, but as my sister said, a piece of his bowel dying didn’t kill him, and he didn’t have a stroke or kidney failure (his top problematic concerns) in surgery, so now is probably not his time.

I hope my mom gets to eat and sleep soon because she’s been in emergency mode since late Friday night.

I’m 1500 miles away, and tomorrow is my first professional photo shoot. It’s for a long time client, but it still HAS to go well. I’d really like a drink, but I’m in a strange town, it’s dark and it’s snowing, so I’m staying inside.

18 Likes

So, here’s an excerpt from an email I sent to the new HR person at my work (I felt like posting the last paragraph only in the “Our so-called president” thread, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. Timeline w/my job, btw, starts on 8/15/2018, my day of hire):

You may not be able to answer this, but was your predecessor let go because of the mistakes (I was told another interviewer had the same problem as I) with the days of birth entered into ADP? The reason I want to know is because of the lapse in getting assistance again with the pay stubs (she had gotten me copies of my first two stubs for MI-DHHS in October 2018), I’m in the situation I’m in now, which I’ll cover in the next question.

I found out I needed my pay stubs in mid-December 2018. I tried emailing your predecessor, but I got Marlyn’s email instead. Considering it was the holidays, I do sort of understand the problem in her not getting back to me or actually solving the problem herself; however, this lapse has caused me to lose my Michigan Bridge Card (food) benefits because I couldn’t get the documentation I needed because someone make a mistake in my day of birth. And it looks like I won’t be getting any benefits in January, either, due to the federal government shutdown (now, that I know isn’t the company’ fault, lol). My question then, is this: Can I lodge a formal complaint to the company for that mistake?

We’re okay - for now - but Sheezus Pleezus! I really am going to have to do something about the fallow ground behind the garage so I can have a garden this year. And we’re lucky, cos there’s just two of us, and we have family and friends who are (somewhat) better-off than us and they help us. But fighting against the ingrained conceived values of “YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO SUPPORT YOURSELF” and “NO ONE ON THE OUTSIDE MUST KNOW IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS” that I’ve been planing and sanding away at for the past few years is tough.

19 Likes

Eek. My start date and month got transcribed on a dental insurance form once. My company wound up paying me $500 out of petty cash for a wisdom tooth extraction, because that was less angst than the CFO and I playing phone tag with the insurance company. They’d tell him they couldn’t talk about my plan for security and privacy reasons, then they’d tell me they couldn’t talk to me about it because I didn’t have the right authority at the company.

13 Likes

Ugh! That sounds awful. And such bad timing. The federal shutdown shouldn’t affect state programs, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it did somehow. :frowning: Hope your new HR person can help you out.

I’m not looking forward to my own annual bureaucratic battle. Once a year, every single year, the insurance company sends me a letter to notify me (after the fact) that they’ve shut off my daughter’s health insurance because she’s too old to be listed as a dependent child. Every single time, I have to tell them to look in their records where they’ll find form X (signed by the doctor) regarding statute Y which exempts disabled adult children from the age limit. And every year they eventually do and then reinstate it.

But they never seem to understand that it’s just not ok for some people to miss doctor’s appointments and go without their meds for a month just because some bureaucrat didn’t feel like bothering to look at the records that were right in front of them. If/when they do it again this year, I think I’ll follow your lead and file a complaint.

What made me think of this is that the initial cause years ago was that they messed up my daughter’s date of birth (because their system only allowed entering dates below the limit that she’s exempt from), which clashed with the data at the medical providers, and for awhile there was no way to correct it in their system and when they finally did it shut off her insurance. Now, since we have to re-enroll every year, it’s an annual hassle.

11 Likes

She wanted to call me, but my phone didn’t charge yesterday, so it wasn’t working most of today. UGH. FOR US ALL, i UGH!

7 Likes

And earlier today, in the late morning, I tried to set up a pick-up online from my home with UPS, but when I got to the part where I could preview my transaction, I got an error message instead. And five minutes ago, a UPS driver to my door and asked if I had a pick-up. PLUS THEY CHARGED ME FOR IT!! faaaaack.

I was told I’d get refunded for the delivery, as it wasn’t scanned. But no word yet on if I’ll get a refund on the driver coming to my house, as…he came to my house. I told them I got no preview of how much I was going to be charged nor of my entire transaction. I found out the exact amounts by looking at my checking account online!

8 Likes