Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

My father died early on Wednesday morning. I arrived in time to say goodbye, and he knew I was there even if he couldn’t talk much by the time I got there.

He was 78, lived a good life and died in my mothers arms. He is at peace, and if such a thing exists, I’ll see him on the other side.

23 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss. (Hug)

12 Likes

Condolences to you and your loved ones. And love to you from an internet stranger.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear. Take care.

10 Likes

Really sorry for your loss. I feel for you.

11 Likes

I’m so sorry.

8 Likes

The fact you were able to get there in time to say goodbye, and that you know he was with his loved ones when he passed, will comfort you in the days ahead.

I’m so sorry for your loss. ((((hugs))))

13 Likes

My sincere condolences on your loss, and I hope you find comfort in the fact that he knew you were there.

9 Likes

Just found out the only other guy on my team got sacked after two weeks of administrative leave. Guess the sensitivity training didn’t take (I raised a concern with HR after I caught him disrespecting our female DBA. Apparently, not the first female technical staff he’s had run-ins with, so he’s out). So now, I have indefinite 60+ hour work weeks until they find a replacement. Woohoo!

13 Likes

15 Likes

I am so, so sorry.

11 Likes

Minor one. Phone screen seems to dying. So looks like it’s upgrade time.

8 Likes

UPDATE: I’ll get refunded, it’ll just take time WHEW. Future money, yay!

11 Likes

UPDATE: The HR lady and her boss in Winnipeg want to contact my MI-DHHS worker (I provided the info today, via email) so as to let her know the problem w/my pay stubs wasn’t my fault. They also want to compensate me in some way so I can buy food.

FWIW, I wasn’t expecting anything. Really.

15 Likes

Yeah!!!

8 Likes

Fuck my entire life.
Sometime this week I get to start a new drug for osteoporosis, which is injected once a day. The problem was exacerbated by steroids. So now I get to take yet another drug. For crohns, seizure disorder, hypertension, glaucoma, reflux, and depression. Not to mention an OTC allergy med. And vitamin D, calcium citrate, vitamin B12, and folic acid, all medically necessary.
And one of my crohn’s drugs is an enema,* which I have to open first to add a steroid. That’s because my disease is basically at the end.
Oh, and CPAP, but that’s not a drug.
Just for completion, I’ve also had two small squamous cell skin cancers and a melanoma removed in the last couple of years, fortunately with borders clear.
As you get older, you get to have these “organ recitals” with your contemporaries. Though I didn’t get to have them when I was a teenager.
I think I preferred the first 13.83 billion years of the universe.

*if you care to read more about my travails with this particular mode of drug delivery, you can read the abstract here. My insurance company sent generics once they were available (naturally). They were painful. I was still working for the FDA then, with background in solid and fluid mechanics, polymers, and tissue-materials interactions. My wife likes to say the insurance company “took on the wrong person.” I have no idea if this study had any effect on industry (or the FDA for that matter) at all. The FDA approved the generic’s drug without any concern for the container whatsoever.

20 Likes

Holy shit, that all sounds awful. I’m so sorry.

14 Likes
16 Likes

You monsters.

Fuck the people that did this, fuck the Trump administration for the pointless shutdown, and fuck them for not just closing the parks versus keeping them open purely to score political points (no stories with crying families with their vacations ruined).

17 Likes

I am so sorry. I hope the meds work out and you’re feeling better as soon as possible.

8 Likes