Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

Thank you and @mindysan33 and everyone else. It was just depression and anger. I feel better (especially after my flame above), but I am a bit frightened of any new drug. And it’s especially scary trying one of these new, really specific, really complex monoclonal antibody drugs. This one mimics a parathyroid hormone. Yeesh. And daily injections? But I know some people with diabetes have to do that all the time.

And will they all play together nice?

15 Likes

THAT is the big question. Do every one of the doctors know about the other prescriptions? Also, don’t underestimate your pharmacist. Ask them when you go to drop off/pick up your medication. It’s literally their job to know this stuff!

11 Likes

In retrospect, I should have realized when I typed this sentence this morning:

But I do regard the factory farmed meat industry in the same way as I look at oil: the worst excesses of capitalism, willing to burn everything and everyone to wring the last red cents out of a dying planet.

That I might be ragging too hard to have a productive day.

11 Likes

Most of them – and my GP who knows everything about me has also weighed in. Everything seems to be fine, but then no-one looks at triads (or higher) of drug interactions.

I am an experimental animal, n=1.

(BTW it’s mail order, so no pharmacist to talk to except by phone. And they don’t know the higher order interactions, either!)

8 Likes

Two nights ago in a discussion about climate and when the big dramatic changes will be hitting, I said “probably beyond our lifetimes” then paused and expressed a feeling I’ve been living with for a while: “I’m just sorry I won’t be around to see our foolishness come to fruition.” Dark and bitter! And not an attitude conducive to taking the actions we can still take. But I’d just finished watching Merchants of Doubt, so I was in a mood.

10 Likes

My pharmacist just called to warn me that that my first copay of the year is going to be $2400. For 30 days of medicine. With the insurance discount. With “good” insurance.

…at least I’m getting the deductible out of the way quickly? :expressionless:

20 Likes

That is highway robbery, as my dad used to say.

12 Likes

dont-trust-b-in-apt-ohnoes

Can someone explain to me what the fucking point of insurance is if it literally pays for nothing that we need?

24 Likes
17 Likes

portland-mad-carrie-b

14 Likes

It makes American insurance companies richer, of course.

18 Likes

Wow. I pay a lot but that is next level.

12 Likes

I really hope single-payer passes in my lifetime so I can dance on the graves of Anthem and Express Scripts, instead of the other way around.

17 Likes

I know that it’s not much consolation, but at least you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket for the 335 other days of the year. What we could really use is legislation that brings down the costs of medications.

11 Likes

'nuff said.

4 Likes

Cheer up! (or double down?) There’s a pretty good chance that things are already much worse than we think. I’m not much of a policy/science wonk on this topic, but I’ve heard that climate scientists might have actually been downplaying the risks, being conservative in their estimates and projections in order to avoid being seen as sensational or alarmist.

And my pop-science understanding is that some of the more dramatic changes (as you put it) could be more akin to a phase-change than a gradual evolution. Things may seem only mildly sketchy right now, but it could all go to :poop: in an instant!

:grin: :grimacing: :dizzy_face: :skull: :ghost:

8 Likes

Some of us remember Tambora . . . .

7 Likes

I just looked that up, and all I can say is holy smokes! that was a big one.

I hadn’t even considered volcanoes, but that’s a really good point. Something like that could be just the little push we need to go completely over the edge.

Personally, though, I’m still holding out hope for Sweet Meteor of Death in 2020. :comet: :boom: :cloud_with_snow: :tornado: :new_moon:

6 Likes

Then there’s Carrington Event II!

:sunny::zap::zap::zap:

5 Likes

I thought it would go the other way… something like that could just be the thing that saves us. A large enough volcanic eruption could put enough of a pause in global warming to give us a fighting chance again, and it’s about the only thing that could.

8 Likes