Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

That’s what I understand.

The oceanic part is just as big of a problem and the Big Volcano wouldn’t do anything for us there I don’t think. Nor any geoengineering I’ve heard about. The ocean has absorbed I think 80% of the extra heat so far added to the earth system from GHG (@wanderfound just wrote about this at BB) , and most of the sea level rise we’re seeing now (about 10 inches at San Diego since 1900 IIRC) is due to thermal expansion of ocean water – not yet much from melted glaciers. I think this warmth is getting the blame for coral bleaching.

Then there’s acidification (sorry if I’m telling people what they already know, I’m sure we’ve all heard this by now) with the ocean being about 30% more acidic due to CO2 going into solution. (30% since when? Pre-industrial? Not sure.) Ocean uptake is part of the carbon cycle AIUI and is part of how CO2 goes out of the air (after hanging out for hundreds or thousands of years). When does the ocean become so saturated that CO2 uptake slows? I haven’t seen science for that, but it’s probably out there.

Anyway, ocean acidification and warming may have huge impact on oceanic ecosystems and the chain of life which provides food and oxygen and other ecosystem services, and so impacting us.

Do I have this right? Anyone disagree?

I’ve become a proponent of voluntary natural population reduction because I just don’t see us restraining ourselves enough to make a difference, we’re not good at that. If we’re going to consume at this level, there has to be fewer of us. (Not that that would make a difference in time to avert dangerous global warming, but for longer term.) Hmm. Big Volcano could help there. :wink:

9 Likes

Cool discussion! And here I was merely saying that just because the Earth is big (in human terms) and some processes take millions of years, some things can happen almost overnight that can do damage on a large scale. Asteroid hit, supervolcano, 2016 election, and so on.

7 Likes

They don’t need to be reduced… Just transformed a bit…

8 Likes

The way it works naturally is that continental sediment enters the ocean. This provides the nutrients (calcium) needed to lock up carbon in the next layers of limestone.

The Himalayan uplift is supposed to be what’s kept things cool since the last maximum.

7 Likes

Also that the weathering process itself absorbs carbon dioxide.

6 Likes

If that’s what it takes to end the scourge of online advertising, then so be it. :innocent:

Oooh, that’s a good point. I kind of forgot about the particulate matter blocking sunlight. I was trying to keep it positive, and thinking more of all the CO2 and other greenhouse gasses that come with it. Now that I think about it, I have no idea about the proportions of such emissions in any given eruption, or how their effects might interact with each other.

And if the oceans get warm enough, then we might see methane clathrates start to thaw and destabilize, dumping even more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Maybe if we get really lucky, there’ll be an underwater volcano that’ll erupt – somewhere in the Arctic, say – that’ll melt a whole bunch of methane all at once, and really kick this ecological collapse into high gear!

There’s every chance you could still bear witness to the end of it all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Don’t worry, it all ends in a snowball. Then a cinder.

7 Likes

Uggh. Where do I start today?

Sometime between getting on the bus home Friday and this morning, my bus pass disappeared. I’ve checked all the usual places, but it hasn’t turned up. I’ll have to do a thorough cleaning tonight to look for it.

After going skiing this weekend, I decided to let my cats come into my room. Generally , that’s not an issue, but either because of the skiing or where they positioned themselves, my back has been aching all day today.

On top of that pain, I have a nasty headache. I’m blaming “didn’t sleep well/long enough.”

And this is the big, high-stress week, so unless I’m completely going to burn out, I can’t really afford to take time off, just in terms of not having enough time to do what remains to be done before this weekend. If things get worse tonight instead of better, I’ll probably take the time off anyway, because I’ll be absolutely useless tomorrow if that’s the case.

…And I am not looking forward to doing a foundation-to-rafters search of my house for that bus pass with my back in its current state.

11 Likes

Be sure to re-hydrate well (the #1 preventable cause of headaches). Take a hot bath with epsom salts for your muscles tonight. If you have any sort of liquid/gel menthol (Vick’s vaporub, Tiger Balm, Olbas Oil, etc.) rub it into your temples and put some under your nostrils to breathe in.

Check every pocket, even ones you normally don’t use.

And here’s a hug, because probably none of that will be enough!

11 Likes

Ibuprofen or naproxen?

(I can’t take either so I always suggest it to other people.)

5 Likes

I have been consuming more fluids; a lot of my headaches can, indeed, be traced back to dehydration. This one doesn’t feel like one of those, though. Certainly the water isn’t helping much.

The bath I was already planning on, but the Epsom salts will make a good addition, thanks. I think I already have some.

Unfortunately, that I don’t have.

Planning on it, as well as tearing apart my laundry hamper and checking every possible crevice of my car. There are only a few places where it should be, but those were the places I checked first.

Thank you! I could certainly use one.

For the most part, I try to avoid taking pills when I can, but my back is currently bad enough that it’s legitimately difficult to walk, so I’ll probably grab some Advil on my way into the bathtub.

10 Likes

The advantage to Advil and other NSAIDs is that they decrease inflammation, which if left untreated can contribute to further damage over the long term. The pain relief is kind of a side benefit.

But as someone who has to gag down a bunch of pills each day, I can sympathize!

8 Likes

prices in that article range from 42 thousand to 52 thousand. For a months supply.

10 Likes

I bet the next 500 on the “most expensive list” are pretty pricey too.

One thing that annoys me with “it’s so expensive getting through FDA” bullshit is user fees, which the company has to pay up front to get a drug reviewed. This was done to decrease the funding going the FDA from the federal budget, which allows the company to whine about how expensive it is, and make it hard for small companies to compete.

And of course most drug development is done on the taxpayers’ dime in the first place.

10 Likes

You know what’s not fun?

Slipping in the bathroom, landing against the toilet tank and breaking it. At 9:00 pm.

Mad dash to big box stores that is still open. One Toilet-in-a-box later and I’m back at home realizing I just do not have the where with all to install it tonight.

So I find a bucket and officially press it into service as “the Flush bucket” until tomorrow night.

I hate plumbing.

19 Likes

How are you, though? Sounds like it must have hurt!

11 Likes

I’m fine. Not even a bruise. Now I’ll update this after I’ve replaced it as that is another opportunity for pain and suffering

Edit: Could have gone worse…

That looks like a problem.

There’s a hole in the terlit, dear liza, dear liza.

Ah, yes. The ritual blood sacrifice. Remember, broken porcelain is sharp.

You know something. You pay a couple of Benjamins for something, I’d hope the instructions didn’t look like 4th generation photo copy.

Camera phones make seeing into tight quarters much easier. (Since aformentioned instructions were so unreadable)

Woo Hoo. Possibly the easiest install ever.

(Now to clean everything…bleh.)

17 Likes

Went to bed early enough last night with today all planned out. Get up early, knock out the last thing that was preventing me from starting on this cycle (which should’ve started Tuesday, but I’ve been helping with higher-priority stuff) before the morning meeting, then spend lunch making Valentine’s day card and wrapping gift, afternoon knocking out first small thing for this cycle and preparing first big thing so I’d have tomorrow lined up, then leave early enough to get the house cleaned up. Should’ve been an easy day.

None of that happened.

Last night’s deployment broke things, very important things. When I came in this morning, other people were working on it. Nice. But I soon noticed that they weren’t actually having any luck resolving it. So I dove in and isolated a problem, formulated a solution, and passed it on to someone else. But now it was morning meeting time and I hadn’t gotten anything done. So I had to skip lunch to try to get the morning stuff done, but when I tried to do that, my test system ended up totally broken so I burned time rebuilding it.

Then got called back into the emergency-mode. My fix from the morning had worked perfectly, but testing it had revealed other new critical problems. So I spent awhile with other people diagnosing those and trying to find a path to a solution. By then it was already well past the time I needed to leave, so I had to basically point in a general direction “look here, try something like this” and go.

Then came the rushed and sloppy job of trying to piece together a holiday card and wrapping in mere minutes between the time my wife got home and dinner. It was nothing like I planned, but it was something. Kind of funny in its awkwardness.

Checked back in with work later and found out that they had finally resolved things 3 hours after I left. Then I could relax, knowing that I’m yet another day behind and achieved absolutely none of the things I set out to do today, despite planning, preparing, and carefully structuring my time. Despite working early and late and skipping lunch.

Some days must just be meant to challenge us.

15 Likes

It’s because you did the blood sacrifice properly that it went so well.

Nice job!

10 Likes

I’m applying for some small dollar grant money to support some student stuff. I had to email the program officer to make sure harasshole wasn’t sent my proposal to review, since we’re in the same field.

It’s not the biggest thing in the world, but that I have to announce my arrival basically anywhere by asking for protection from the retributive anger of a violent man hurts. Will I ever get to walk into a room and just be me?

14 Likes