Fuck Today, Reboot Edition

And just how are people who work normal hours supposed to do that 9-4:30? We had a similar system in an apartment we once rented. Mail was a nightmare. If you had a package delivered, you had to go to the office during normal business hours to get it. We both worked. Fortunately that was before Amazon.

And it seemed once a week they needed to get into our apartment. While we were at work.

12 Likes

Sciatica flaring up. At least I donā€™t have a pulled muscle to go with it this time. I just wish I knew what I did, so I donā€™t do it again.

12 Likes

Dadā€™s going into surgery soon. Theyā€™re going to remove his peg tube, which has been leaking like a sieve, in part due to his third small bowel obstruction in about a month. Theyā€™re hoping to do something about that too, once theyā€™re inside. I am hoping and praying it goes well, and they donā€™t find any new cancer. But itā€™s scary, given heā€™s going into this pretty weak, and it took a long time for him to recover from the last surgery.

21 Likes

Wishing for the best possible outcome for your dad. And love and continued braveness to you.

13 Likes

Sciatica sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

10 Likes

Dad got through surgery, but it was a little dicey since he was severely dehydrated and had some blood pressure issues while on the table. Heā€™s on a ventilator in surgical ICU. Itā€™s looking like yet another long, hard road to recoveryā€¦ but Iā€™m grateful he got through today, so far.

16 Likes

kitty-hugs

Iā€™m glad he got through! Wishing you the best of luck in the coming weeks.

13 Likes

Things have gotten worse. The surgical ICU doctor told me heā€™s basically on life support right now. Despite tons of IVs, he got severely dehydrated, and the fluids and blood theyā€™re giving him donā€™t seem to be helping much. If he doesnā€™t start turning around in the next 24 to 48 hoursā€¦

ā€¦Iā€™m not ready for this.

I knew all the hospitalizations and surgeries were wearing him down. I knew this was coming, eventually. But I thought there was more time. I didnā€™t realize just how bad this had gotten. (Iā€™m not sure the doctors did either.)

18 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry.

11 Likes

Nothingā€™s definite at this point, but to be honest it seems like the doctor didnā€™t have much hope. I want toā€¦ it doesnā€™t look good.

14 Likes

Dad is still critical-but-stable. Time will tell.

15 Likes

No one is, not completely. I thought I was, but I wasnā€™t.

Keep going, keep loving, keep breathing, keep taking care of yourself. This is difficult, but your care is a comfort to your father. And, doing what you can now will be a comfort to you later.

I hope you have someone IRL who can give you the exact number hugs as you wish to have, no more and no fewer.

15 Likes

Awwww, thank you, and Iā€™m sorry. But Dad made it through the first 24 hours, and heā€™s coming up on 48 hours, and heā€™s still critical, but stable. Theyā€™re slowly weaning him off some of the blood pressure meds, and making plans to wean him off the ventilator. My aunt (Dadā€™s sister) is visiting and keeping in touch with me, and an aunt and uncle on Momā€™s side are keeping an eye on me.

Weā€™re not out of the woods yet, and if he makes it through, the recovery promises to be very long and difficult. But Iā€™m taking it day by day, hour by hourā€¦ and thatā€™s all that can be done.

21 Likes

Modern medicine is tremendous, and Iā€™m glad heā€™s stable. Iā€™m sending my love to your whole family.

12 Likes

Ughā€¦ this sucksā€¦

12 Likes

My husband and I are both in need for sizing our wedding rings down. His slipped off his finger while playing with our daughter in the yard. At sun down.

16 Likes

In the meantime, wrap some string around the bands in one section that can sit comfortably on the underside of your finger.

13 Likes

And last couple of weeks, actually.

So Iā€™ve been on a new drug (Forteo) for about two months now, for corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. Itā€™s supposed to actually build bone. I have to inject myself nightly. The novelty of that wore off pretty quickly, but itā€™s really no big deal. Not even painful, really.

But the main side effect is driving me crazy. Itā€™s causing random, deep, aching pain in my hips, legs, shoulders, and various other places. Itā€™s a known side effect, but all my attempts to track down why it hurts have failed. I figure the drugā€™s probably activating pain sensors in the bone for some reason. People with bone cancer have terrible pain for a number of known reasons ā€“ e.g., acidity caused by cancer cells. I donā€™t think I have cancer (the stuff has caused cancer in rats, at really high doses, but not in people. So far :worried:), but there must be some mechanism going on thatā€™s causing the pain. All those extra osteoblasts creating new bone material?

People can only be on it for a year or two, thank goodness. I hope I get a payoff after this.

13 Likes

Remember growing pains? You may just have figured out why.

13 Likes

70% of patients who go off Arimidex (a cancer medicine) do so because of the bone pain youā€™ve described. I donā€™t know what the scientific explanation is, but itā€™s excruciating. I sincerely hope your body gets accustomed to the medication and stops reacting like that.

13 Likes