Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

They’re hookers; ‘been there, done that’ is kinda their motto.

It’s a silly thing to be hung up on, (pun intended) but a sexual encounter that can’t even be described by three seasoned experts in ‘the world’s oldest profession’ has me more curious than any of the rest of the suspension-of-disbelief fails that are rife in this series.

Also, is it just me, or was Ned like the only good father on the entire continent of Westeros?

Between the rampant incest and the plethora of daddy issues, I’m kinda wondering what was going on in George RR Martin’s house when he was growing up…

0_o

9 Likes

Ned, the guy who made his children watch executions and who gave them all pet wolves in the first episode? Who died completely unnecessarily and then caused the ruin of his house (and the slaughter of most of his children) by taking on the most powerful, underhand, murderous family in Westeros, out of nothing but a sense of his own nobility? Who spent the majority of his kids’ early years fighting for a drunken letch in open rebellion against the ruler to whom he had supposedly sworn allegiance?

Nah, pretty sure he’s not a good dad either. That first point alone would be enough for a perfectly justified intervention from child services…

3 Likes

To begin with, I’m using the term “good” as it applies to a world where there are trials by freakin’ combat and disabled babies are left in the woods to die or are drowned in the nearest river.

No such thing in their universe, though.

The standard isn’t going to be the same as it is in the reality we currently live in; our thin veneer of civilization is still much thicker than the one on the show.

Ned only gave the kids wolves (four of which later saved some of his kids’ lives) at the behest of Jon Snow.

For all his other faults (and there were many) I’m saying that Ned actually seemed to love his kids and showed it; whereas it seems no other main characters who are fathers have.

It kinda goes without saying that the Stark men (and Jon by proxy) were/are all far more “honorable” than they are intelligent; I lost count of the number of times I facepalmed when one of them did something unbelievably stupid out of a sense of misguided honor.

Also, I understand narratives were different in tv a decade ago, but how did the viewers not see Ned Stark’s death coming from a mile away?

Sean Bean dies in pretty much everything he’s in; the only guy who got killed onscreen more than he does was Sir John Hurt, RIP.

12 Likes

because he is (and was) a major star and the most recognizable name in the cast, and because he was the main character for the first season. if you hadn’t read the books, it just seemed crazy to kill off the biggest draw to your series like that. we’re much more cynical and suspicious now.

9 Likes

14 Likes

So was Drew Barrymore, in Scream and we all know how that turned out.

I never read the books, and though I avoided the series and most discussion about it, I still knew that a lot of main characters die pretty regularly.

So as soon as I saw Sean Bean, I automatically knew he’d be dead before the first season was over, and that his death would be the catalyst for many more deaths.

@MissyPants:

*lolz

It’d be nice to see him in any main role where he doesn’t get killed off and has a good day.

5 Likes

well, firstly, that was a movie, not a tv series. and secondly, uh… fool me once/twice? ha

1 Like

He’s got that Frankenstein series on Netflix starting. Let’s see how long he stays alive for that one.

4 Likes

He had a reasonably important role in the martian. Got to play golf at the end of that.

4 Likes

Tomato, to-mah-to; the comparison is still legit.

That’s kinda my point; after the first Scream, I haven’t taken it for granted that any main or well-liked character won’t be killed off, plot armor notwithstanding.

If it’s played by someone like Sean Bean, then I immediately expect them to die before the series or film ends.

I wasn’t aware of the series and I haven’t watched that film, but good for him.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s fair; at the time, he was the only A-lister (or even vaguely recognisable actor) in a big budget series. Cf: Sharpe’s Rifles; dude had so much plot armour it was amazing he wasn’t eight foot tall…

3 Likes

that’s exactly what makes it not a legit comparison to me… one is a one-off movie, one is a multi-episode, multi-season series. it’s why you would definitely be forgiven for expecting Sean Bean to live.

2 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed the meta-characterisation, especially if someone known as a positive and kind public persona plays a villain. Think Michael Palin in Brazil, or Harry Belafonte* in Kansas City. I submit that both of them are even more terrifying in those roles just because usually in their public appearances they are kind, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and friendly.

*Belafonte especially scared the crap out of me. That whole “ain’t got no guts” speech was just vicious, and he did it so well. I had to go home after seeing that film and re-watch his Muppet Show appearance to come down from the ceiling.

6 Likes

images (1)

8 Likes

And yeh, it must be weird watching GoT from the start now because when it first broadcast, killing off A-listers and popular hero characters in TV shows just wasn’t a thing that really happened.

GoT killed Ned and suddenly every producer and their dog decided that “beloved character dies ‘unexpectedly’” was the new normal.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was fair; as far as I’m aware, opinions usually aren’t.

I’m just saying that when I see certain actors who seem to end up dying in every role they play, I’ve just come expect that their characters will be killed off at some point.

If it makes you feel any better, the only reason I didn’t expect the War Doctor to die is because I know that the Doctor always regenerates instead of dying, (and if he had, there would have been no 10th and 11th versions of himself, let alone a 12th and 13th.)

You’re entitled to your opinion; it wasn’t a personal judgment against anyone for not being as fatalistic about Sean Bean’s roles as I am.

I never saw either one, but I get your meaning; it’s like Denzel Washington in Training Day.

5 Likes

This one? It’s already been on for two seasons, so hopefully, he’ll stick around in it. When is it coming to netflix?

3 Likes

Right about now, apparently. I keep getting notices for it.

3 Likes

It seems that he’s an associate producer on the series. That combined with the fact that his character is not a mad scientist named ‘Victor’ increases his character’s chances of survival exponentially.

3 Likes

Oddly enough, I pulled up Netflix and there it was! Added to the already too long list of things to watch!

4 Likes