Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

Needlepoint

8 Likes

There was that episode of Powerpuff Girls which covered just that. Mojo Jojo does take over the world, and proves to be a benevolent dictator and very competent ruler.

Well, for a while.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly what you said. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I mean, it’s implicit from the picture I posted that at some point Thanos decided to put on that goofy golden armor with its natty little helmet (is it the only set of armor he owns? What closet does he keep it in?) and climb aboard that jetpack throne (from where?) and start a day of floating around the firmament, contemplating how to collect pretty colored rocks to slaughter enough lifeforms to impress his would-be girlfriend Death, who’s Just Not That Into Him. What does he do to while away the time? How does he amuse himself? He apparently needs armor. And armrests. Looks like he could use a 3DS or at least a GameBoy. And I don’t think that armor is equipped with a fly.

More on-topic, I don’t imagine the Night King will really find all that much to amuse him once he’s conquered Dorne. But I also wonder what the hell is the holdup. First scene of the series (and the first book, too) has people getting killed by wights and white walkers north of the Wall. Winter’s a-comin’. Well here it is now, years later. Bran Stark’s a foot taller. Lots of people have been born and died. Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly went to the Wall, went up to the Fist of the First Men, saw some wights, went back to the Wall, Jon went up to Hardhome, saw the Night King and much of his army, went back to the Wall, and then went to Winterfell while Sam went all the way down to Oldtown. And the Night King is still moseying on down to the Wall.

Look, they’re White Walkers, not Night Crawlers. Far as I can tell, they don’t stop to make camp. They don’t take bathroom breaks. They don’t pause for a quick game of football with a severed skull. They just march. Suppose they marched rrrreeeaaallllyyyy slowly. A whopping one mile per hour. And only for ten hours a day, leaving some spare time for some reaving and murdering along the way, plus naps and sledding and skull football. And needlepoint.

So that’s ten miles a day. In a single year they could cross a sizable continent. Seriously, San Diego to Portland, Maine, is only 3,100 miles.

What the hell are they doing up there?

10 Likes

It is an important point that we don’t really know what they are up to in general. That’s especially true in the books. In the show we have a bit more first hand information and a little less room for mystery. Nonetheless we don’t know much about their agenda. They kill people north of the Wall. They appear to herd the wildlings south. Both readers and characters assume that they intend to invade the Seven Kingdoms. Admittedly, externally that makes a lot of sense. Internally we have only the assumptions of characters who spend most of the books getting things wrong. Are they this purely evil race bent on bringing cold and darkness and killing all humans - something GRRM specifically said he didn’t like? Do they have more interesting motivations and plans?

6 Likes

The problem with killing all the people is there’s no-one to ask directions from when you inevitably get lost.

8 Likes

God I hope so.

6 Likes

I assumed they can’t function in warm weather, they can’t go anywhere that’s not frozen. Doesn’t explain why they haven’t stormed the Wall but they’re not getting to Dorne without some more climate change.

5 Likes

The forecast for this being a long winter is what makes the threat so urgent. The short winters and long summers kept them north in the past, but the coming little ice age is giving them their land bridge to migrate south.

I’m not sure WHY they want to migrate, but maybe it’s an animal instinct thing.

3 Likes

Or we get to the end of game of thrones, and it turns out the night king wanted a holiday.

1 Like

Also, this:

3 Likes

Wasn’t there an episode with Bran where it was established that the Children of the Forest (the elf people) created the White Walkers for the specific purpose of Kill All Humans?

8 Likes

I think I remember something like that, but it seems like a kinda ridiculously long (and weather-dependent) game. I mean, it’s a fantasy series, and the Winter is Coming MacGuffin is not much more than a MacGuffin, but still I always appreciate knowing and understanding why.

5 Likes

Right. I forgot about that. Though I suppose I was half-right with the instinct thing.

4 Likes

It seems like the show is committed to at least two more immense cataclysms of violence before the end of the series.

And in order for the writers to set up the pieces for that endgame, Daenerys has to basically fail at everything over and over again until circumstances compel her to break out the weapons of mass destruction around the end of this season.

And so, things didn’t go her way again this week.

6 Likes

oof, i’m in mourning after this week’s show. i will miss the witty banter!

5 Likes

If her plan of invading Westeros with the biggest army on the continent consisting of fanatically loyal legendary troops and three all but invincible dragons had actually worked, then that would have made for a pretty boring story.

6 Likes

And Cersi continues to cosplay as a Romulan…

11 Likes

She doesn’t want anybody to forget she’s the monarch now. They don’t have a tradition of reigning queens, and her claim to the throne is sketchy at best, so she’s trying to look like a conqueror instead of like somebody’s widow.

6 Likes

For a second I wasn’t sure if you were referring to Cersei or Daenerys.

7 Likes