Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

Here’s my problem with the events of this season so far.
Since the zombies are finally (Finally!) coming, and we know that eventually everybody’s going to have to face them whether they believe in them or not, I’m starting to lose interest in the game part of the game of thrones. And after the events of Casterly rock and the defeat of House Tyrell then it’s starting to feel like the only reason the white walkers were written into the story is so the Lannisters don’t prevail, because right now I have no idea why else they’re so important that they’d tease us with their impending attack for so long!

4 Likes

I’m having trouble believing the Lannisters are doing very well at all in the eyes of the smallfolk. Think of the crowds dwelling at Casterly Rock. They’ve either been wantonly sacrificed to Grey Worm’s army or forced to haul stakes and move. The conquered folks at Highgarden aren’t particularly pleased by their conquerors. And everyone says King’s Landing has been a shithole since before the High Sparrow took power. Nobody who isn’t actually in the Lannister royal family even remotely likes the Lannisters anymore. Even the churl who wants to marry into them considers them shortsighted fools who are giving it all away out of sheer incompetence.

6 Likes

Because of course Peter Dinklage has exactly that kind of singing voice:

5 Likes

So there would be another enemy to fight after Daenerys takes the Iron Throne?

2 Likes

I think that’s too simple. We still need resolution for Jon Snows lineage and Daenerys hereditary madness, and with only 10 episodes left then ignoring the threat will certainly be her undoing because she’ll lose the chance to prove her worth as a ruler.
Around these parts people are shipping Daenerys and Jon, but the only way that’s going to happen is if she goes north and fights the wights which would actually solidify her claim to the throne. Nobody really likes the Lannisters and denying them the chance to protect the kingdom is exactly the excuse everybody needs to switch sides.

5 Likes

Jon Snow showing us his one facial expression, “exhausted and about to cry.”

All I can say is if I was supposed to perceive this guy as an inspiring figure and romantic hero they should have cast someone else. I get that it’s too late, but on the other hand they don’t have to follow through with every single subplot if it’s not going to work on the screen.

6 Likes

This is Buffy season 6 all over again, Buffy’s friends bring her back to life but she wishes she was still dead. The GOT season finale will be a musical (Yay!)

A million times this.

7 Likes

I think we are still missing a link between the major plotlines. At the most basic level those are the inter-human conflicts, the civil war and Daenerys/the Targayryen restoration on one hand and the conflict with the Others and Bran’s journey on the other. So far those have interacted occasionally, but those just starting at around the same time by chance would be a bit unsatisfying. There are various prophecies that could figure into this, but those can really only be part of the answer.

Of course there are some fan theories that would be very difficult to handle well.

6 Likes

Trouble is, Jon Snow isn’t a subplot. I like Kit Harington in this role. He’s not the “inspiring figure and romantic hero.” That was Robb, who’s now dead. That was also Ned, who is similarly dead. Jon didn’t exactly roll a 2 for Charisma, but he’s a regular guy that never tried to be in charge of anything. His ascent was due to a mixture of luck, raw competence, brains, more luck, steely determination, and a whole lot more luck. Plus being brought back from the dead after his charisma utterly failed him. Which was lucky.

If anything, it demonstrates that the Northerners are slightly better at choosing their leaders, when they’re offered a choice. They don’t go by looks and smooth-talking charm.

11 Likes

Tyrion as the last man standing, the most unlikely monarch, little feet dangling above the floor at the end of the last episode as he sits on the Throne of Ashes he specifically warned everyone else about, would be dramatically ironic and suitably dark.

Is GRRM really going to punk us with a happy ending? Jon and Dany live happily ever after? Ick.

8 Likes

Oh come on we all know it’s going to be little finger.

3 Likes

he has said the ending is “bittersweet”, so it doesn’t sound “happily ever after” to me at all. having some ultimate fan favorites die while others we hate live is my guess. just who ends up on that short list is anyone’s guess. give him some credit! he’s savvy enough not to go the pure disney route with this.

4 Likes

so, uhhh… kind of surprised that there’s no discussing going on here, especially after this week’s episode. are we all just busy being giddy about it? i know i need to see it at least once more before the next episode…

6 Likes

Yes, that surprised me, too.

[spoiler]What I really liked about the final battle was how over the course of the series we have become invested in so many different characters for different reasons that we can feel properly conflicted.

Do we cheer on Dany napalming the food supplies of the most fertile of the Seven Kingdoms because it was such an impressive and long-awaited visual? Team Drogon or team Bronn?[/spoiler]

8 Likes

yes, exactly. i honestly could not choose. aside from that, there were many smaller things to be delighted in, too. Arya, i’m looking at you.

10 Likes

ok, so i did not see some of tonight’s things coming, that’s for sure. and dropping that HUGE piece of info right in the middle of Sam’s argument with Gilly…

6 Likes

I really hope Gilly took that book with her so that Sam can go back to it once he actually remembers what he heard. Cause Jon not being a bastard is HUGE.

10 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s episode. The pacing felt much more akin to the previous seasons in that there were a few grisly deaths but they were far outweighed by the political machinations.

In particular, the [spoiler] raiding party is a really awesome plot device. The Big Three of Snow, Mormont and Thormund all have a few layers of plot armour but there’s nothing so entirely unresolved in their plotlines that they couldn’t die in a shock plot twist. There’s so much rivalry between all of them (that scene in the dungeon was priceless as the set up for a buddy movie) that really anything could happen and yet they’re all fairly-well developed characters. Some of them will die (no doubt at least one of them will be murdered by an ally) and yet, it’s not entirely obvious who it will be. Shit, three out of the seven have already died at least once… [/Spoiler]

5 Likes

Were you able to see what was written on the message Arya found? I could tell it was supposedly from Sansa, but I suspect that Arya was set-up by Littlefinger to find it. Be smart, Arya!!

3 Likes

i really want to go back and freeze it and read it. Arya’s smarter than she was, and pretty sly, but she’s not Littlefinger level of sly. he’s definitely working the only angle he sees right now: sisterly conflict.

4 Likes