Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

@Slartibartfast @Franko Taking photos of my TV so you don’t have to: [spoiler]

The wonky angle and focus are deliberate; I have gone through pretty much frame by frame and tried to get a better shot but there isn’t one. Thoughts? [/Spoiler]

5 Likes

Best I could get is:

[Spoiler] Robert is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt, father (?)…
(…Ed) Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The Lannister…
…to Kings Landing and swear fealty to King Joffrey and…
… Your faithful sister, Sansa. [/Spoiler]

4 Likes

I think it is from the time between Robert died and Ned was killed. Sansa was essentially a prisoner of the Lannisters. Wasn’t she forced to write to Robb back in Winterfell? To agree that her father was a traitor in order to save his life? I don’t know if the message is fake, but I do think that Arya should be smart enough to not fall for it – if she gives herself time to think about it and remember how powerless she, herself, was during that time.

8 Likes

Yeh, that was my thought too. [Spoiler] Arya is nothing if not impetuous though so this could backfire on either Arya or Littlefinger. [/Spoiler]

3 Likes

yes, i’ve read elsewhere that’s basically it. back when Cersei made her write to Robb.

EDIT – here it is:

[spoiler]
Robb,

I write to you with a heavy heart. Our good king Robert is dead, killed from wounds he took in a boar hunt. Father has been charged with treason. He conspired with Robert’s brothers against my beloved Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The Lannisters are treating me very well and providing me with every comfort. I beg you: come to King’s Landing, swear fealty to King Joffrey and prevent any strife between the great houses of Lannister and Stark. [/spoiler]

(tried to use spoiler tags, not sure i did it right. sorry if it isn’t hidden… :slightly_frowning_face:)

11 Likes

Ah yeh, I remember it now.

(You have to preface the post with spoiler in square brackets [ ] and then finish it with /spoiler in another set of square brackets for it to blur out the text; it will appear blurred as soon as you post it if you have done it correctly).

3 Likes

thank you! i kept trying things to get it to work (not a coder, heh) and then google lied to me. i fixed it now. : )

2 Likes

If you’re on a regular browser, you can find the spoiler tag option under the little gear icon to the right of the smiley icon. (It may be the same on mobile, but I didn’t check)

2 Likes

it is

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the suprise plot twist: littlefinger is one of the faceless men.
I know its crazy, but I first got the idea after Arya and Brienne fight:

Sansa is understandibly surprised, but littlefinger is stunned, its as if he recognizes something while watching her fight.
Sure, Arya is cocky, there’s other interpretations for why littlefinger knew she was watching her, but if the scroll has been planted for her benefit, surely littlefinger counted on Arya’s ability to spy on him which means he at least knows of the faceless men. Enough to guess of what Arya may be capable.

Anyway, I don’t hold out much hope for his long term survival, Arya and Sansa are wearing some pretty heavy plot armor right now and there’s no way either one is going to be killed off right now. Not before Jon is close enough to winterfell that Sansa can be disposed off anyway.

8 Likes

I’m not sure he needs to be a Faceless Man himself for him to know of them; she disappeared for a long time and came back an expert in the (very distinctive) Bravosi swordfighting style. He’s a man who has put himself into a position of power through Machiavellian subterfuge; it stands to reason that he would not only know about the Faceless Men but have used their services before. At the very least, I’m sure he’s been to Bravos to visit the Iron Bank before…

Wildest theory I have heard so far is that Tyrion is also a Targaeryan, because Dany’s dragons didn’t eat him the first time they met, just like Jon. I don’t think it’s true (not least because Cersei would have mentioned it) but it does make me think: three dragons need three riders. Dany, Jon and who?

4 Likes

Ive have also read some about the prophecy of Azor Ahai that some say points to Tyrion.

2 Likes

i have heard that too. I think it’s because someone (Rhaegar?) was supposed to have “had their way” with Tywin’s wife at some point before Tyrion was born, and that is also why Tywin hated him – he was illegitimate, and to keep up appearances the Lannisters had to pretend he was their son. i find it plausible, especially because in the books Tyrion has much blonder hair than in the show. The scene with the dragons pretty much seals it for me.

but

Littlefinger being a faceless man? that’s a new one to me. hmmm, not sure what to think about that one!

3 Likes

It checks out, I guess but then why would Tywin not just have drowned Tyrion at birth, like he said he wanted to? Also, why did Tywin keep the Lannisters neutral in Robert’s Rebellion? If anyone had reason to want to kill the mad king, it’d be Tywin if that were the case…

4 Likes

I doubt that Littlefinger is a Faceless Man though I do think he’s heard of them. He’s got the discipline, but he’s too into himself to let go of his identity. Even Arya failed at the end, but not for lack of trying. I still think that Littlefinger will underestimate Arya – he may guess that she trained in Bravos, but wonder if he’d make the leap that she trained in the House of Black and White. If anything, I think he’d guess that she found someone like Syrio (who he knows she trained with in Kings Landing) as opposed to Jaquen.

As far as Tyrion goes, Tywin had plenty of “reasons” to hate him whether or not he might actually be a Targaeryan. He might have suspected Tyrion’s paternity, but perhaps didn’t want to shame the memory of his wife by airing his suspicions.

5 Likes

He does. At one point in the first book, when Ned resists Robert’s plan to send an assassin to get rid of Daenerys, Pycelle suggests employing the Faceless Men, and Littlefinger protests, “Do you have any idea how costly they are?” Then again, I don’t remember if he ever mentioned them in the TV show.

As for Tyrion’s paternity, in the books he’s described as being just as blond as his siblings. I mean, even though it’s described as being “hair so blond it seemed white,” which kinda sounds Targaryenesque (Targ-Aryan?), Tommen is also described as having “white-blond hair.” Tyrion even has one green eye that looks like the green eyes of his siblings.

If nothing else, I suspect Tywin would have been less ashamed of Tyrion if he’d been able to pass him off as someone else’s bastard. Since the mother died in childbirth, there wouldn’t have been all that much downside to accusing her of adultery. Acknowledging Tyrion as his own son was a huge hit to Tywin’s ego, and he never forgave Tyrion for being so undeniably a Lannister.

Hey, here’s a meta question: must we spoiler-tag in this obviously spoilerific thread? I now discover that I am unable to quote spoiler-tagged text on my Android, which is frustrating. (I was going to re-spoilertag the quoted text, btw.)

6 Likes

I reckon it’s probably ok; if a reader is through 116 blurred comments and not expecting to get spoilered by this point, I reckon that’s on them…

4 Likes

yeah, i was wondering that, since the name of the thread is “final season discussion” and all, but i am happy to go with whatever we decide. i’m also happy to have newly-learned skills in how to make things blurry, heh.

as for Tyrion/Tywin, i don’t recall from the books as to why Tywin let him live. it’s made clear that Tyrion was resented from the word go, though. one other thing to add to the pile of Tyrion = Targ is that he’s had a life-long fascination with dragons.

2 Likes

Another episode leaked a few days early.

S07E06 is available where one usually finds such things.

2 Likes

i refuse to watch until sunday – but this sunday i’m going to be on the road to oregon for the eclipse… : (

6 Likes