Game of Thrones, final season discussion ☠ SPOILERS WITHIN ☠

The first post requests a three-day moratorium on open spoilers. However, I think we could amend that to one day, or after the live broadcast. I hate spoilers, but if I’m avoiding spoilers, I avoid the places that explicitly discuss what I don’t want to be spoiled about.

6 Likes

Yeh, I’m with you. Does anyone object if we make it 24 hours after live broadcast? It’s 10am on Monday here in Singapore when it airs and while I watch it religiously as soon as I get home from work, I’d hate to ruin an episode because I wasn’t paying attention for a second while reading this site at work…

6 Likes

I personally won’t read the thread until I have watched the latest episode. So I would be happy to skip the spoiler tags. If everyone agrees then we could update the OP to say spoilers below, don’t read unless you are up to date.

5 Likes

That sounds good to me. I liked the 3-day embargo thing because I usually can’t watch until Monday or Tuesday, but the inability to blockquote spoiler text on my phone is a pain. I really like to be up to date with my watching, otherwise I feel I miss out on the conversation when it’s timely. But you guys are better about stretching out the discussion through the week than, say io9 might be.

So yeah. Since I think it’s a bit silly to read the latest posts in the thread before one is caught up with the episodes, I too vote that we let this whole thread be labeled SPOILERS WITHIN and not worry about spoiler-tagging the actual text, except for spoilers for non-ASOIAF material that might be mentioned by way of comparison or something. (e.g., “Those Lannisters aren’t the first ones to worry about betrayal. Remember how Mickey Mouse broke up with Minnie Mouse because she was fucking Goofy?”)

6 Likes

You won’t like the answer.

2 Likes

First post updated.

LET LOOSE THE SPOILERS OF WAR!

Or don’t, whatever.

7 Likes

Can I suggest that spoiler tags should still be required if you are discussing anything yet to be officially broadcast or published.

Speculation is fine, but not speculation based on leaked info.

5 Likes

Yeah, definitely. I’d just as soon avoid discussion of leaked material altogether, but those of you out there who Do Not Sow might have other ideas, so if you must peek early, then please spoilertag and mention outside the tag that you’re discussing leaked stuff.

7 Likes

Topic title updated for clarity (and flair.)

6 Likes

Needs more :dagger: :crossed_swords: :bow_and_arrow: :dragon:

11 Likes

Jon Snow has the very best plot armor. It is made of only the finest mythril.

9 Likes

Me: Fuuuuuu[45 minutes later]uuuuuck!
Me: What are those chains?
Me: Oh God, Oh god…

That was amazing.

Except for the Arya and Sansa side story that felt like filler.

5 Likes

And the eye opened and ooooohhhh shiiiiit

I hope that we find out that they fought in the open because they want Baelish to overhear them. But even if they didn’t, Sansa seems to see what he is plotting. He suggested that Brienne could solve her Arya problems, so Sansa sent Brienne away. I hope this means that Sansa is getting smarter, too.

8 Likes

Strangely buoyant mithril, at that. I have to confess that I shouted at the TV when he pulled himself out of the water.

You can get stabbed in the heart and be brought back from the dead by a witch priestess and that seems like it’s within the boundaries of what we could expect from the Game of Thrones universe.

Three people in two episodes falling into the depths and magically swimming their way out despite wearing plate and/or furs that are now frozen to their bodies and completely saturated feels like a stretch, even as we watch magical dragons torch armies of the magical undead.

10 Likes

If they are playing his play then I’m ok with this. But if they are just being fooled for some extra drama until they of course find out they were played then meh.

I loved the episode but it had it’s questionable moments. Floating armor. It was super convenient that the patrolling white walker brought along one borrowed zombie. Where on earth did the walkers get those chains and how so fast? Speaking of travel times how fast are those dragons? But those little things aside I loved the episode and had to re-watch it as soon as it was over.

4 Likes

And where they really planning to carry those chains all the way as they march south?
What else are they carrying with them?

Great episode but that just took me out of it.

I hadn’t considered that, it would be awesome if this is what they’re going for. I was just telling my wife that Sansa’s character seems to be regressing, I certainly didn’t enjoy watching them fight over petty childhood rivalries.

3 Likes

These little details describe the showrunners reliance on handwaving in service to a poorly worked out vision.

I don’t mind too much for GoT, but it doesn’t bode well for Confederate.

2 Likes

The dragons being fast is the only believable part of the travel this season.

7 Likes

First episode where the time/travel just seemed really out of whack (most of the other times it can be handwaved away). However, we actively saw:

• Gendry be sent back to Eastwatch;
  • Magnificent 7 run on to the lake straight after

So, they had to stay on that lake while:

• Gendry got back;
  • a raven flew down to Dragonstone;
  • dragons then flew up beyond the wall and find the exact spot; and
  • no one froze to death.

Saying that though, I liked it a lot and can just accept that, y’know, These Things Happen On TV.

Oh, and Jon not dying in the lake? I’ll put that down to his family’s blood, which as we saw in season one can bear some level of resistance to the elements (unless that element is gold)

7 Likes

I think they really needed an extra season to resolve a lot of these plot lines, but they have to be resolved now so I’m trying to not be too picky. The only part that really bothers me is the Jon/Daenerys romance, don’t get me wrong, I’ve been shipping them for a couple of seasons now but they’ve rushed it so much it feels forced now.

2 Likes