Genderbender: Sexual Identity and Gender Identity

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had to correct females on calling the vulva ā€œvaginaā€ when discussing the hair that grows there. Hair in the vagina would beā€¦icky.

10 Likes

So have I, which borders on mansplaining, so I pick my battles.

Sounds like a tumor. There have been tumors with hair and teeth growing inside them.

4 Likes

:scream:

6 Likes

i.e., semi-over-developed embryonic or fetal tissue?

I donā€™t even want to think what was in my momā€™s miscarriages; except she DID tell me the last one was old enough for her to tell the gender. That was in 1963, when she was pregnant, but bleeding like she had a heavy period, so her doctor put her on the Pill. Not even a rabbit test - REALLY?

However - and this is weird - had she carried it to term (she never told me what gender it was, just that she could tell), I might well not be here today. (Does this belong on a different thread, lol?)

6 Likes

More like ovarian teratomas. Theyā€™re not fetuses and never were:

10 Likes

Thank you - so much less grotesque!

6 Likes

There is an upcoming novel centering around Dr. James Barry. The author of this novel misgenders Dr. Barry in the book and has been doubling down on twitter with stupid reasons why, and refusing to listen to trans people (and even cis people who arenā€™t transphobic) saying otherwise.

PSA: do not buy this book

13 Likes

Thank you for this. Iā€™ve been seeing tweets about it but never had the full context before.

Note also this isnā€™t some first-time novelist going indie without due diligence. Sheā€™s had a number of books published and has won awards.

I can imagine an author doubling down on something like this, but Iā€™m shocked her agent hasnā€™t advised her to change track by now.

9 Likes

Hereā€™s another good post about the whole thing:

9 Likes

Argh. Youā€™d think the editors at a major publishing house would understand how pronouns work.

ETA: The author, and perhaps the publisher (they seem to be quiet about this), seem to think this is like the Alfred Knobs film where women take on male gender roles partly for protection, and partly for the better economic opportunities.

But even thatā€™s ridiculous, and that film examines that. When his friend asks if heā€™s a man or a woman, Alfred replies, ā€œIā€™m Alfredā€. We learn in the film his womanhood was essentially taken from him, so he joined the only other gender his society acknowledged. His friend transitions much more happily.

Both of them show gender is fluid and shaped by the social constructs of the time.

11 Likes
6 Likes

And how many of these people have any gorram reason to oppose this?

I sometimes worry that the availability of non-binary identification docs wll be used to deny binary identification docs to trans people. (Not that this is a good enough reason to deny docs to non-binary trans people). But I doubt many of these people are thinking about that.

9 Likes

Then thereā€™s the federal driversā€™ license (REAL ID) which requires much more documentation than before. Like proof of permanent address. So if you are working but canā€™t afford an apartment and are living out of your car, tough.

My spouse is working on renewing her license, and the paperwork required is infuriating. She was born here, lived at the same address for >20 years, pays taxes, has a job, etc., etc.

7 Likes

Flaming heck, what does ā€œpermanent addressā€ even mean these days, when 99% are precariat or worse and the remaining 1% can afford multiple homes?

11 Likes

The pdf says proof of ā€œThe personā€™s address of principle residenceā€ not permanent address as I originally said. So thatā€™s OK if you have more than one residence ā€“ you know, say 6 or 7 (gee, I donā€™t remember, said John McCain at one point). You can choose the house in the state with the lowest taxes, even if you donā€™t ever live there.

Oh, and gender.

8 Likes

Thread:

13 Likes
8 Likes

Youth Health Prevention Act

Aptly named though, for once.

8 Likes

Why does a radio anchor, xtian 5th grade school ā€œteacher,ā€ and ServPro franchise owner think heā€™s competent to tell doctors what to do?

7 Likes