How do we make this a safe space?

Either we have a list and do not TL3 them but they know these conversations or we just make them TL3 anyway.

2 Likes

What about initially putting all the original members in TL3, but not permanently (which seemed to be what happened to some members that were manually promoted to TL3 at BBS). If thatā€™s not possible, we could lower the threshold to TL3 for (to allow everyone in) then raise it to something more reasonable after a short period of time.

Either way, this ensures that we all still to make some effort to keep our ā€œregularā€ status.

7 Likes

Dang, I knew I should have kept my name!

2 Likes

The issue that was expressed on the other board is that someone gets a peek inside a lounge then is kicked out / how to ensure what happens in the lounge stays in the lounge in this case? If we lower trust levels then we have people who previously accessed privileged material.

7 Likes

I suggested that as an option only if manual upgrades are permanent. But it would only be for a short time. We could make it clear that the lounge is not private until after the normal requirements are back in place.

4 Likes

Why are we referring to a lounge? Shouldnā€™t it be the speakeasy?

5 Likes

I prefer salon myself, speakeasy always reminds me of Speak & Spell for no particularly good reason.

2 Likes

I wish speakeasy would catch on more here. I think itā€™s the bees knees.

14 Likes

Also, the catā€™s meow and/or pajamas.

7 Likes

When I set up the other discourse (before finding this) there was what I thought was a basic admin setting that would only allow logged in users to see any posts.

5 Likes

And oh look that dogs playing with some balls.

I would say, that if the board is going to close general access (reading), and/or general membership, then it should be done sooner rather than later.

The longer itā€™s left, the more people who would be affected by the changes thereā€™ll be, and they wonā€™t be happy with whatever changes one way or another.

(Plus, even allowing for bad feeling thus created, itā€™s not fair on people to find that theyā€™ve invested some time and then lose access to conversions theyā€™re involved in)

9 Likes

Good points, I think, though I donā€™t know if we should be limiting thread access or membership just yet. Iā€™m still hoping more people from the bbs will show up. Plus, you never know, someone cool might wander in from the Wild 'ol Web like Melz and I did. (Iā€™d read BoingBoing online for years but discovered the bbs kinda late. Iā€™ve only been active there a little over 2 years, I did lurk for a while before that.)

I think weā€™ll know a bit more when the Rules Committee finishes their work, but eventually most if not all of us here now will hit Regular, and then weā€™ll have our more private threads back. But this site may treat Regular status differently than the bbs did so itā€™s hard to say how thatā€™s gonna work.

Iā€™m also not sure which, if any, of our current threads should be level-restricted. I know everything here now is open to all and Iā€™ve been keeping that in mind when I post. But youā€™re right, Iā€™m not crazy about locking people out of threads theyā€™ve been participating in. Maybe requiring a log-in to read is the best course.

TL, DR: itā€™s a puzzle. But I think a solution is in progress. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can we just send the trolls to here?

3 Likes