Just Asking: Why do the alt-right wear goatees? šŸ

Could you please elaborate on what you perceive to be the nature of your disagreement?

When you said ā€œmost males are capable of growing some facial hair by their mid-teensā€, for example. I take issue with the mid-teens part, because thatā€™s usually the middle of male puberty, not the end. I also question the amount of facial hair that you assume a teen boy can grow. Maybe some facial hair, but not anything that looks presentable. I knew a few guys who had adult-like facial hair in their teens, but they were the exception, not the rule. These were also the guys who started balding soon afterward. I am definitely included in this group, and I didnā€™t reach my full adult height until I was in college.

If you simply said that adult men are generally capable of growing facial hair and didnā€™t mention when they were able to grow facial hair, then I could agree with it.

More seriously, I am convinced that the Vandyke is some kind of cultural indicator, consciously or not, and isnā€™t something people grow just because they can. I can also grow one, but I donā€™t, because it signals things I donā€™t want it to signal.

2 Likes

I have no biological problem with growing facial hair, but allowing it to grow in any shape or form just makes me look ridiculous. Goatees have always struck me as looking ridiculous on over 90% of men, so in my case it would be a double whammy.

2 Likes

Beards that are smaller than face size have always looked a little off to me.

2 Likes

7 Likes

The Royal Navy concurs; no beard or full beard, those are the options. What I would like to know is, given its commitment to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination regardless of gender etc., if this applies to women too.

4 Likes

I believe their rule is that if thereā€™s no full beard after two weeksā€™ growth, it has to be shaved off.

1 Like

Billy Gibbons?

Itā€™s at the discretion of the commanding officer.
This is basically the difference between the RN and the Army. In the Navy rules are subject to creative interpretation, in the Army they arenā€™t. The only two fixed rules in the Navy are said to be (1) Never get driven onto a lee shore in a sailing vessel and (2) Itā€™s much harder to replace a really good bar steward than a junior lieutenant.

7 Likes

I never saw the point of something that combines all the inconvenience of a beard with all the inconvenience of shaving.

6 Likes

I just shave my neck and the tops of my cheeks, and cut my beard down to the equivalent of ~2 weeksā€™ growth every month or so. Thatā€™s the bare minimum amount of maintenance I can get away with without looking unkempt.

2 Likes

I shave my cheeks and trim it back to be tidy, but Mrs S has requested a bushier beard so Iā€™m slowly growing it out. The hardest part is trying to keep the 'tashe neat. Iā€™m currently experimenting with moustache wax although Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve got the hang of it yet.

3 Likes

Either a little bit of oil, or nothing. Wax is overkill, unless youā€™re going for a hipster look.

1 Like

So most males are capable of growing some facial hair by their mid-teens, which is supported by http://teens.webmd.com/boys/facial-hair-faq#1 among other places.

But you donā€™t like it when I say it. Very cool. I think I see where you are coming from.

1 Like

Either this website contradicts you or I misunderstood you. If I misunderstood you I apologize.

The website says that boys may start to notice facial hair around age 15 or 16. This is a far cry from having a presentable looking vandyke at that age. I knew those kids, and they were definitely the exception to the rule. They were the ones who could walk into a liquor store at age 16 and not get carded, because they looked like they were 30. As for me, I was shaving at age 12, could grow a passable vandyke but not a full beard at 16, had a full beard pattern by 19, and was balding by 30. I wasnā€™t as bad as some of these kids, who started balding in their teens, but still a little worse than normal, at least according to this website.

Fully bearded at 16 and bald at 20 isnā€™t unheard of, but definitely isnā€™t normal either.

4 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

Maybe take the opportunity to upgrade to a full Van Dyke?

I realize I meant to say ā€œimperial.ā€

I said nothing about a presentable vandyke - that is all you. This topic is called why do the alt-right wear goatees? With no evidence to suggest that the goatee is actually more frequently worn by alt-right males than among non-fascists.

Among the basket of deplorables who have been championing Nazism, fascism, and other alt-right causes, including the shitbags throwing insults and threats at me when I protest in favor of refugees and the actual US Constitutionally protected civil rights that we all have, which are under attack by the GOP and the current GOP Administration, the vast majority are males who range in age from older than I will probably get with the shitty health coverage I have all the way down to guys in their late teens.

I did not notice one facial hair style represented more frequently than among non-fascists, and in the absolute absence of data to the contrary, other than the previously offered gut feelings about anecdotal evidence, will be sticking with the null hypothesis, that is, the all-wrong alt-right do not wear goatees any more frequently than decent men.

and strangely enough I too said some facial hair. So we appear to be in violent agreement. But you seem to want to argue, so okay, find please find someone else to argue with.

5 Likes

Iā€™m closing the topic. I think this one needs a time out.

12 Likes