Link: John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer

Sounds like his tumor didn’t do the job.

1 Like

exactly! i’ll add that he flew into D.C. (his flight also paid for by taxes), AND we paid him to do it.

5 Likes

Can I change my vote in this poll to “just John McCain”?

1 Like

Where’s the CAH thread?

2 Likes

Every time I think McCain has exercised good judgement in the last 15 or so years I remember this unkind thing he did to us all:

4 Likes
8 Likes

My spouse used to say of McCain that she could respect him when he wasn’t campaigning. His concession speech in 2008 was fairly gracious and it seemed like he felt a weight lift from his shoulders (probably half of that was not having to deal with Palin).

But since then he’s swung back and forth between “kind of sensible, for a Republican” and “what the goddamn fucking hell, man?”

7 Likes

At this point I’m like, another nice speech with another mean action. Sorry dude. You are still on the wrong side.

4 Likes

He and my dad entered the Navy at the same time, flew the same airplane initially, same base different squadrons. I may have a soft spot for the old man and his service, but he is as easily misled as any other military officer. He isn’t a leader, he’s a Bannerman, and good at that.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this for a while in the context of recent events and I’ve decided to coin this phenomenon the “Overton Arsehole”. It’s a lot like the Overton Window but, as the name implies, it applies to arseholiness rather than politics (although the two are definitely not mutually exclusive).

I think McCain has always been kind of a dick but he’s recently started to seem slightly less like one because he’s been surrounded by the genuinely sociopathic and the truly morally bankrupt. He’s not actually been any less of a dick in recent years, it’s just that the Overton Arsehole has stretched and he looks more reasonable by comparison…

6 Likes

He’s had a terrible habit over the past few years of doing his trademark Maverick Speech, ripping into various lawmakers and spouting fiery rhetoric about doing the right thing and standing up for the people… and then capitulating and voting along party lines. At this point in his career, it feels more like he’s playing the character of “John McCain” but otherwise just playing along to get the day over with.

11 Likes

It’s kinda like what Rand Paul does with his fake libertarian act, only I have less hope for Rand Paul than I do for McCain.

4 Likes

Hey, maybe we are being too harsh. Maybe every time he gives a maverick speech, Someone Pays Him a Little Visit. What if, this time, he finally stood up for what he believes in and paid the price?

“Hey John, nice brain you got there. It’d be a shame if all that thinkin ya do made ya get, I dunno, brain cancer or somethin. Maybe you wanna make sure you vote the right way with that ‘thinkin’ brain of yours before someone takes a scalpel to it and makes sure you do. Nice seein ya, John.”

I’ve met a few political “enforcers” in my time and frankly, I wouldn’t put anything past them…

1 Like

Well, it may not have rehabilitated his legacy, but he hasn’t made it worse… Recently.