Love in the Time of COVID-19

MM. Yeah. That.

Disappointing.

2 Likes

Family ties and some few years of distance from top tier writers, I think. For all his presentation, that show left a lot of material on the floor, especially Jessica Williams. Looking up what she been doing since.

Fridayā€™s shutdown comes a little more than a month after the Board of County Commissioners voted 6-1 to remove COVID-19 safety regulations that had been in place for over a year. Commissioner Reggie Bellamy cast the dissenting vote during the May 11 debate.

ā€œLetā€™s get past the mandatory decisions,ā€ Commissioner Vanessa Baugh said at the time. ā€œWe canā€™t continue to rule peopleā€™s lives this way.ā€

ā€œPeople can make their own decision. All COVID regulations that were instituted and mandated for Manatee County government property should be removed immediately,ā€ added Commissioner George Kruse.

On Friday, however, one commissioner who hadnā€™t been interested in the vaccine left Hopesā€™ office and immediately went to get vaccinated, according to Hopes.

6 Likes

The building where my mom used to work as a software developer. Thankfully retired a while back.

5 Likes

Sounds like some will go with A, and the rest with B.

Do they have more respect for their elderly than we do for ours (the ones that arenā€™t wealthy and/or in govā€™t, that is)?

2 Likes

ā€œHis position on Covid and his denialism are absurd. He has abandoned reality and common sense. There is no explaining this, it is surreal,ā€ Robert Almeida, a 50-year-old marching in Rio, told AFP.

Because everything Bolsonaro has done up until has been thoughtful and selfless.

4 Likes

Please donā€™t do that to yourself. You donā€™t represent those sorts. And there have always been those sorts since humans starting grouping together.

3 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

6/19

On Monday of this week I broke down. I resolved that this would be my last week of remote working.

The primary reason for his decision is the LogMeIn software IT has forced us to use. It is just so horrible I canā€™t take it anymore. If everything is calm and there are no tight deadlines, working with LogMeIn can be a decent experience. Not great, but decent. However the moment there is a rush of work, LogMeIn seems to intentionally do everything it can to interfere with you. I swear itā€™s doing this on purpose. There is an intelligence behind it.

It literally makes me lose my mind at least once per day. I am honestly surprised I have not broken the computer trying to get it to respond. This can not be good for my soul.

So returning to their office should be easier. I will have the usual headaches, but not the additional ones caused by LogMeIn.

Also, I look forward to returning to a more distinct separation between my work and private lifes. I will not have business calls forwarded to my personal phone. I will not feel obliged to check business email as soon as I wake up. Hopefully this means I will no longer receive frantic calls from my manager at 7am saying he needs a project for the CEO started right away.

Despite all these benefits, I still have a last day of summer vacation feeling. I guess I just donā€™t like changes to my schedule. But then I had hoped to never see the inside of that office again. I had hoped to never again hear the shouting of self-satisfied, suburban, Trump-supporting workaholics.

7 Likes
8 Likes

It was a strange first day back. Not bad, not anxiety-ridden, but there were a lot of little adjustments to make.

And people didnā€™t really talk to each other anyway. No ā€œitā€™s been a long timeā€ or ā€œis that a new haircut?ā€ or whatever. We all sat silently in our cubicles, a few unvaccinated people wearing masks all day, to do the exact same thing weā€™ve been doing successfully from home for 16 months, only feeling slightly weird about it.

And the boss wasnā€™t even in today to see all his busy worker bees back to the hive.

I did kind of like having official bookends to the workday, though, and having a much better place to take walking breaks.

6 Likes
4 Likes

I see the acronym is OBON. I guess thatā€™s the kind of thing that gives the far right a Oh! BONer over there.

5 Likes

Did Trump write those lyrics?

5 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Even those of us who avoided getting COVID-19 will probably wonā€™t live as long as we might have without it, just from inactivity and all the stress (i.e., worrying about getting it, AND being horrified by the orange assholeā€™s lies and incompetent response).

7 Likes

Iā€™m gonna live longer just to piss those sorts of people off; I find myself getting even more liberal (and patient, even!) as I get older.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Journal of the Corona Year

6/25

On Monday I went to work. It wasnā€™t that bad.

This just a collection of rambling observations.

I had to get up an hour earlier than I had been for the past year. The proper method for rushing during rush hour soon came back to me.

I put on the same suit I wore to my first day of work there in August 2017. It seemed appropriate.

It took me a few steps to remember how to walk in hard-soled shoes.

At the 95th Street station I bought my first monthly MetroCard since March 2020.

In rush hours of the past, by the time the train passed 4th Avenue/9th Street the subway was totally packed. Further north, there were always delays around Atlantic Terminal. This is because of people holding the doors, or because of people on the previous trains holding their doors. The cars were so crowded that at my destination of Whitehall Street the train would have to stay in the station for minutes to allow people to exit onto the overflowing platform.

But now the subway is still quite empty. Fewer riders than I see on the weekends. There are no delays. No people spilling coffee on each other. No mothers sticking their kids on the seat beside you, forcing you to give up your seat. The trip is a breeze and only takes 30 minutes. Where is everybody? Are so many people still out of work, or are they all still working from home?

I arrived at my building. Outside there was a sign indicating that mask wearing was optional for anyone vaccinated, but mandatory for the unvaccinated. It was however an honor system. No one was there to check your status. I put my mask back on as I entered.

The normally busy lobby had only a few security guards standing around. Two of the guards I remembered. My electronic pass still let me through the barriers to the elevators.

When I walked through the doors into the offices, the receptionist recognized me. That surprised me since my hair is gone and I was wearing a mask. We were happy to see each other. When I got to the Marketing area one of my co-workers who likewise avoided the axe also recognized me. She was happy to see me as well.

She explained to me that wearing a mask in the office was unnecessary if you are vaccinated. I looked around the office ā€” no one was wearing a mask. That was fine since there is no one within 6 feet of me while Iā€™m working.

The offices were about half empty and much quieter than than they used to be.

Throughout the day a few senior people also welcomed me back by name. I was surprised they even knew who I was or what I did. I suppose any resemblance to the way things were was reassuring to them.

The potent combination of air conditioning and other peopleā€™s aftershave irritated my throat immediately.

I got down to work finally accepting the fact that many of the people I had worked with would never be returning. Avoiding this fact was one reason I was reluctant to return.

Working directly on my computer without bothering with LogMeIn was an unparalleled joy. It was smooth and fast. Like riding a bicycle with properly inflated tires on a freshly paved road. I did not have to threaten or swear at the computer once.

Around 12:30 I went out to get coffee. I walked through the narrow, winding streets. The sun beamed down on me from between incredibly tall buildings. It felt totally normal. Just like any other day. As if the past year had been only a dream.

I had coffee at 787 Coffee in the ground floor of a 120-year-old building. This was the last coffeeshop I could find in Lower Manhattan back when everything was closing down. It seemed fitting to resume there. Manhattan coffee, I am happy to report, is still better than Brooklyn coffee.

Itā€™s been a week now. Did I really work for 14 months alone in my apartment? I know I did, and yet it all seems very vague.

5 Likes